Sub Woofer suggestions

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
Hello,

I have tried over the last year to live with my 2 Paradigm Millenia Subs, which are a comprise of form follows function, and are not designed for a room that is 20X20X12. Photos of room attached and I do have some WAF restrictions around size so I have chosen sealed subs. I do 70% HT 30% Music.

I have narrowed it down to:

1-HSU ULS15 MK-2 Great sub with strong output
1-Rythmik E15HP - Another great sub with strong output
1-PSA-S1812-Pushing the size limitation but 18 inch sub should fill the room nicely

2-JL Audio D110's compact and less expensive
2-JL audio e110's or e112's?

Appreciate any feedback.

PG55

Attachments

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Hello,

I have tried over the last year to live with my 2 Paradigm Millenia Subs, which are a comprise of form follows function, and are not designed for a room that is 20X20X12. Photos of room attached and I do have some WAF restrictions around size so I have chosen sealed subs. I do 70% HT 30% Music.

1-PSA-S1812-Pushing the size limitation but 18 inch sub should fill the room nicely

Appreciate any feedback.

PG55
No SVS?

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Outlaw audio is having a great sale. Two of the x-13 subs would be 1000 each shipped. 2 x-12 for 500 each shipped. You’re not gonna to find much better at these prices that will beat them.

C

Clownaphobia

Audioholic Intern
Outlaw audio is having a great sale. Two of the x-13 subs would be 1000 each shipped. 2 x-12 for 500 each shipped. You’re not gonna to find much better at these prices that will beat them.
Is there a coupon code? I cant find those prices on their website. That is a really good deal

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
Great Subs but too big for my WAF...

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
Does anyone own or have heard the PSA-S1812. It is a unusually compact sub for an 18 inch driver.

C

Clownaphobia

Audioholic Intern
Hello,

Appreciate any feedback.

PG55
I can attest to the HSU being a very very good subwoofer. I have no experience with the Psa. The JL’s are nice, but overpriced imo. Looking at your pictures...it seems that your seating may be right in the middle of the room? My last theater room was 20x20, and there’s a pretty big null right in the center. Moving your sofas back just a few feet might make a world of difference. Just offering suggestions :) you may have already found the best locations in your room

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
I can attest to the HSU being a very very good subwoofer. I have no experience with the Psa. The JL’s are nice, but overpriced imo. Looking at your pictures...it seems that your seating may be right in the middle of the room? My last theater room was 20x20, and there’s a pretty big null right in the center. Moving your sofas back just a few feet might make a world of difference. Just offering suggestions :) you may have already found the best locations in your room
Good suggestions! Your comments were validated when I ran REW and saw the big null right in my MLP. I am working on moving the couch either forward or back 12 to 18 inches. Unfortunately that doesn't solve the lack of low end and mid bass I am missing with the smaller Millenia subs. Do you think one PSA 18 or ULS 15 would work better than two smaller 10" subs?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Do you think one PSA 18 or ULS 15 would work better than two smaller 10" subs?
IMO, yes. The low end roll off of the 10’s will be much higher than the s you mentioned. They’ll also have much less output capability.
Personally I’m not a fan of sealed, and would buy ported. If footprint is an issue, maybe a pair of PC2k’s from SVS? The last version is in the outlet for 699.

C

Clownaphobia

Audioholic Intern
Most people here will say to get the biggest that you can live with now, and then can add another later lol. It really does depend on your listening habits and your expectations. If you only really care how it sounds in the sofa...I think you will be better off with one sub. The larger subs will give you the low end that the smaller subs cannot. But if having more even bass in more areas is a concern, then you will need multiples. It’s not fun telling people to “listen how good it sounds right here in this chair”...so I am a big fan of multiple subs, even if it means giving up some extension

C

Clownaphobia

Audioholic Intern
FYI...it seems the Outlaw sale listed was from last year. The X12 is $743 shipped now. Sorry, Don’t mean to derail this thread. But I ordered one today when I saw the deal mentioned and just got this email back.

Attachments

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
My wife and most of my friends could care less about how a system sounds as long as they can hear it watch it:).

So...really the MLP is the only concern as far as bass is concerned.

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
IMO, yes. The low end roll off of the 10’s will be much higher than the s you mentioned. They’ll also have much less output capability.
Personally I’m not a fan of sealed, and would buy ported. If footprint is an issue, maybe a pair of PC2k’s from SVS? The last version is in the outlet for 699.
Yes I agree. I tried to get the PC2000's last year and was nixed.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
My wife and most of my friends could care less about how a system sounds as long as they can hear it watch it:).

So...really the MLP is the only concern as far as bass is concerned.
Exactly. The MLP is where you sit. Don’t worry about other seats. :)

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
Does anyone own or have heard the PSA-S1812. It is a unusually compact sub for an 18 inch driver.
Check out the PSA owner's thread, plenty guys there have the S1812 and they LOVE it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis