Sub upgrade opinions

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Room setup: 12.5' D x 42' L x 9' H. There is also another 8' x 3' hallway at the opposite end of the living room. That includes kitchen, dining area and living room. Living room is approx 12.5 x 16 of that space.

Current Modest System: Onkyo TX-NR636 receiver, Definitive Tech ProCenter 1000, Definitive Tech ProMonitor Front L&R, Rear L&R, Front Upper L&R. Definitive ProSub 800 just died.

Current Usage: 95% TV/Movies/Game System

So, with thought of future room upgrades (if/when we buy a different house down the road), I'd like to get a sub that both blends now, and can still fit if I have a different room with better L/C/R front speakers and equipment. Also with an eye towards shifting back to a higher percentage of music listening too down the road.

Prior sub location was in the rear right corner. New sub will not fit there, so it will be on the rear left side of seating, which is the open wall side to the rest of room.

I'm considering and debating amongst:
Rythmik LVX12 or FVX12
HSU VTF-2 MK5

I'm getting some feedback saying i should skip all and get an HSU VTF-3 MK5, but it seems like it might be overkill and it's even larger than the other 3 I'm looking at. I had a thread going on AVS forum and just saw they are down for 3 days for an upgrade or something. Any thoughts? Thank you.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
No Such Thing when it comes to Subs. Overkill is a Great thing
Okay, but what does that mean the recommended sub would be? LOL

Knowing all of the above and that one day down the road when we do finally move to a new house I want a dedicated movie/music room with better front speaks and equipment (and probably dual subs at that point)?

The current sub will have to serve as an end table as well since space is at a premium. I'd love to just get a VT15 but it's just too massive, even serving as a an end table. The VFT-3 is pushing the max size limits. Thanks.

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Call HSU tell them your Room Dimensions and ask their recommendations. You have a large room.
I'd also ask SVS and PSA their recommendations

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
All the usual options mentioned time and again are: SVS, Hsu, Outlaw, Rythmik, PSA and the Monoliths.

Probably the two most pressing concerns in upgrading are the size of the room and the placement of the Sub.
Assuming your room measurements are correct, you are talking just over 4700cu.ft. That is right at the boundary between Large and Extreme according to the AH Bassaholics ratings.
1 single VTF-3 would be good for that space. Two VTF-2s might be better. ;)

Placement is another story, and you comment about only having one home for it could lead to disappointment depending on the room acoustics.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Just spoke to Kevin at HSU and the consensus seems to be that the VTF-3 MK5HP is the better choice. The VTF-15H MK2 is the best, best choice, but I just can't work with the size (28+" deep).

One thing I didn't mention is that eventually in this house, my plan is to wall mount the TV and build a built-in underneath. It currently sits on an A/V cabinet in an alcove that is roughly 68 inches wide and 29 inches deep with full 9' height. When I go this route, I could include the sub in the built-in facing back towards the listening area. Kevin thought this would be a good location, and possibly better than the only current location. No room for dual subs in this house though.

Regardless, my options are go back to a tiny sub like the DefTech ProSub 800 that can fit behind the curve of the L shaped sofa in the corner, or try something upgraded like one of these larger subs.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Built-ins and Cubbies are bad places for any loudspeaker, including Subs... as well as bad places for electronics (unless you carefully plan for proper ventilation!).

I always recommend the Sub Crawl as a very useful technique for identifying the better places in a room for good acoustic performance of the sub... something that is made all the more important when only using a single sub.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’ll say dual subs. Dual HSU VTF2 mk5

Or dual SVS PC2000 if you want a small footprint. (Cylinder). :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Or dual SVS PC2000 if you want a small footprint. (Cylinder).
I concur. This would be an ideal setup in that room. 2 PC2000 Pros should be quite nice at balancing the necessary output against placement concerns.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Due to layout of the room (doors, walking paths and furniture, there is just no other place and the rear left side of the sofa, which is the open wall side, or under a built in with port facing the seating area. We have a large L shaped sofa and the only corner option in the room is behind that sofa with a floor lamp which would only accommodate a small box like the deftech 800 that was back there, or something tiny like an SB1000 which wouldn't be enough upgrade I feel. Bigger sub only works if it replaces a piece of furniture which is the end table. Seriously, dual subs is not an option in this room unfortunately.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Only real space is where table with plant are sitting. I’m honestly still thinking about the Rythmik FVX12 in addition to the HSU VTF-3.

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
How about the Corner behind the couch between the windows were that light is. A little concession here and there will pay off in Sound Quality

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This I completely agree wit hand was thinking about myself.
Pull the couch down a little, get the sub in there, and do a second (Yes, I know what you siad, but do a second) down by the plant and bureau.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
That space behind couch is where the deftech sub was. Only enough room for a small box back there. Like 16” x 12”. The PC2000 will fit but just barely If I make a platform to sit over the lamp base and the port might be an issue.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If your Lady/partner can walk into that room and be like, "My god you moved the couch how dare you..."

I say weeks, if not months would go by without noticing.

:D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Only real space is where table with plant are sitting. I’m honestly still thinking about the Rythmik FVX12 in addition to the HSU VTF-3.
View attachment 38268
View attachment 38269
A VTF-3 mk5 will vastly outperform a FVX12. There is no contest between those subs, get a VTF-3. The FVX12 gets as much performance out of an okayish 12" driver as it possibly can by putting it in a large enclosure and giving it a servo amp. The VTF-3 just uses a really good 15" driver. The VTF-2 would likely outperform a FVX12 let alone a VTF-3.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’d mount TV on wall and instead of full built in, let a sub sit loose in that TV area and another sub at end of couch. Not building it in though. It needs to have room. Bass goes in all directions, not just forward.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Here is a 16.5” circle cut out in space behind sofa. A PC2000 would fit but would stick about 2 to 4 inches higher after building a platform to straddle the light base.

Oh, and it's WIFE................. But she honestly doesn't care as I can't even get a response from her about which sub finish color or style she would prefer. Only comment was that the VT15 looked too big. I think it's the 28" depth that is the real issue on it though.

Regarding the built in, I didn't even think about the possibility of only using a part of the space for equipment. I could put a single stack rack on one side and a sub on the other side, and still have the other sub where the plant currently is.

So, is the consensus to get a PC2000 stuffed behind the sofa? And maybe a second one later up front or beside/behind current plant stand? A single VFT-3 as side table for now? Get a 12" now with a second 12" to follow when I hang TV? What makes most sense now that you've seen the space and know the existing equipment? I want to pick the right sub(s), but do need to be somewhat budget conscious.. Can't get two at one time unless they cost the same as the single 15" model or something.

Thanks.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis