B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I have 3 subs a 15inch and two 10 inch subs. These subs are of different brands and right now I can’t justify buying matching ones, but I wondering what would be a good start at placing them? Right now up front I have the 15 and 10 and a 10 behind the couch. Should I move the two 10inch up front and place that 15 inch somewhere else? The room is big about 700 square feet. I also have 13 speakers(4 height) and bass shakers. Thanks for any help.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Mixing different brands can be a little bit tricky but if tuned and designed similarly it shouldn't be too difficult.

Mixing sizes and/or ported and sealed is a can of worms and will take a significant amount of work to blend. Might be able to do some nearfield wizardry with just the 15 or just both 10s, but this is getting above my paygrade, tbh.

Are the 2 Sound Stage and Velodyne in your sig the subs you're working with?

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
The velodyne is the 15 inch the 2 soundstage are the front towers which also has a small sub in each power speaker. I didn’t mention these

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
Tried to post a pic but it said the file is to large

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The velodyne is the 15 inch the 2 soundstage are the front towers which also has a small sub in each power speaker. I didn’t mention these
Personally I wouldn't call the woofers in the speakers subs....especially if running them with bass management.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I think the subs in the speakers were a bit of a gimmick. I think they were meant if you didn’t have a sub and you set these to large.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think the subs in the speakers were a bit of a gimmick. I think they were meant if you didn’t have a sub and you set these to large.
I looked at a spec and it had an undefined 36hz for lower response....wonder if that's f3 or f6 or....not sub territory either way.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
So do you think maybe start with the big sub up front in the middle and put the two smaller ones off to the side? Because the one behind the couch is more of a distraction

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So do you think maybe start with the big sub up front in the middle and put the two smaller ones off to the side? Because the one behind the couch is more of a distraction
Personally I'd start with measurements or a sub crawl if you can't measure. Placement of subs is more about where they need to go rather than where you think they should go. I use one of four right behind my couch for a little extra tactile sensation (along with a tactile transducer in the couch).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What do you mean "the 2 smaller ones"? It doesn't sound like they're subwoofers at all, but towers with powered bass sections. 2 different things. For all intents and purposes just treat them as regular speakers and find a good spot for the 1 sub you do have.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What do you mean "the 2 smaller ones"? It doesn't sound like they're subwoofers at all, but towers with powered bass sections. 2 different things. For all intents and purposes just treat them as regular speakers and find a good spot for the 1 sub you do have.
He seems to have two separate 10" subs in addition to the woofers in the speakers....or at least that's the way I took it. Specifics would be nice....but I don't see the two 10" in the signature detail either.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
He seems to have two separate 10" subs in addition to the woofers in the speakers....or at least that's the way I took it. Specifics would be nice....but I don't see the two 10" in the signature detail either.
I'm cornfused.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I’ve seen the crawl with one sub so with 3 do you do each sub separately? Then just mark where you want each one? To do this can you use the sub level in the setting so it’s a constant rumble from the sub?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I’ve seen the crawl with one sub so with 3 do you do each sub separately? Then just mark where you want each one? To do this can you use the sub level in the setting so it’s a constant rumble from the sub?
I don't think you have 3 subwoofers. What gear, exactly, do you have?
the 2 soundstage are the front towers which also has a small sub in each power speaker. I didn’t mention these

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
Forget about the soundstage I have a 15 velodyne and a klipsch and a definitive pro sub 1000

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well the DT sub isn't much more a sub than you have in your speakers and the Klipsch probably not much different. Remember your subwoofage is limited by the weaker links in genreral. Mixing various subs also makes integration somewhat more difficult. Thus the Geddes approach if anything....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’d find the best spot for the velo and use the the other two in the garage or bedroom or something like that. OR sell the other two and get something similar to the velodyne. Which model is that?
Like HD said, the better sub is always heard back and that also includes linearity. The DT and klipsch both won’t be as good as the velo in linearity or output or extension. For that matter, an updated subwoofer could also be an improvement in fidelity, but my hunch is that you want to at least keep that. So I’d use it by itself.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
The problem with the amount of money I have spent over the years with home theater gear and now the Q-90 speaker bar for my loft my wife would shoot me if I ran out and bought new subs lol

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis