R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Everyone disregard the post above the last one, I hit the wrong thing

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
There is the potential for a lot of cancellation effect with even just 2 subs and your main speakers on the same wall... I would not add the third up there. even still, if you can individually adjust the two subwoofer outputs for level and distance, than you should be able to keep the front two on one output and use the second output to control the 3rd Sub.
Regardless, we all have to deal with the idiosyncrasies of our own rooms... be flexible and creative in placement! :)
I can’t adjust the two outputs for level and distance on my Yamaha

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Why do they need to be on the front wall at all is another consideration....I spread them around my listening position if possible.
I don’t have a bunch of options for placement in my space, I thought I sent photos to you last year of what it looks like when I was looking for new subs. I don’t have a side wall on the one side because it opens up to the rest of basement and the side wall I do have in listening area , if a sub was on that wall it would be in the way of walking around my couches.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don’t have a bunch of options for placement in my space, I thought I sent photos to you last year of what it looks like when I was looking for new subs. I don’t have a side wall on the one side because it opens up to the rest of basement and the side wall I do have in listening area , if a sub was on that wall it would be in the way of walking around my couches.
Wasn't putting them together, you the one with the nice gym set up off to the side? Yeah, having the right space for the subs can be difficult. Measurement mic/REW/Minidsp to handle multiple subs is another way to go. Do these subs have a 0 or 180 degree phase adjustment, or is it variable? You could experiment with phase for a slight delay adjustment....maybe fronts at 0, rear at 0 then flip the rear to 180 or vice versa.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Wasn't putting them together, you the one with the nice gym set up off to the side? Yeah, having the right space for the subs can be difficult. Measurement mic/REW/Minidsp to handle multiple subs is another way to go. Do these subs have a 0 or 180 degree phase adjustment, or is it variable? You could experiment with phase for a slight delay adjustment....maybe fronts at 0, rear at 0 then flip the rear to 180 or vice versa.
Yes gym area in back and bar was to the left of my listening area. I’ve got 3 vtf3-mk5’s, actually the two up front are at 0 and I switched back one to 180 when I hooked the third one up other day. It sounds better with rear at 180. Reading the geddes stuff I may try right front one in right front corner. Only thing I don’t like about putting the one in right front corner is that it pushes my towers in closer than I’d like

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Should I still be setting each sub to 75db before running any room correction? If I listened and read right the video shady posted on geddes, it said to have first sub in front corner down 3db from mains, second one 1-2db higher and the third right at what mains are. Doing that the mic would still pick up the rear one first correct, thus me still having the same issue I’m having now with it picking up the rear one and setting the distance?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Appreciate any suggestions or answers to my last post. Basically sounds like I’m going to have to buy a mini dsp and rew

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Should I still be setting each sub to 75db before running any room correction? If I listened and read right the video shady posted on geddes, it said to have first sub in front corner down 3db from mains, second one 1-2db higher and the third right at what mains are. Doing that the mic would still pick up the rear one first correct, thus me still having the same issue I’m having now with it picking up the rear one and setting the distance?
It's been a while since I've delved into Geddes stuff or what tools he utilized. With your avr setting overall delay/level/eq for them together, the only adjustments in delay you'd have is that via phase on each sub (as you're doing now). Different gain settings on the subs should carry over relatively, altho setting each at 75dB won't be what they play together (probably 4-6 dB or so higher for three together), if that matters to your avr. The way to get more control would be with additional tools, like a measurement mic and REW with something with capabilities like a miniDSP unit (miniDSP seems best one to me, tho).

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
It's been a while since I've delved into Geddes stuff or what tools he utilized. With your avr setting overall delay/level/eq for them together, the only adjustments in delay you'd have is that via phase on each sub (as you're doing now). Different gain settings on the subs should carry over relatively, altho setting each at 75dB won't be what they play together (probably 4-6 dB or so higher for three together), if that matters to your avr. The way to get more control would be with additional tools, like a measurement mic and REW with something with capabilities like a miniDSP unit (miniDSP seems best one to me, tho).
Yea they’re above 75db together but I trim them down to 77-78db. I was just reading something that someone from here just posted with an article attached about crossovers but you could get into other articles he had. Anyways it said to set the subs at 72db and to use a test disc, I’ve been using the test tones from my receiver, which one is correct to use?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yea they’re above 75db together but I trim them down to 77-78db. I was just reading something that someone from here just posted with an article attached about crossovers but you could get into other articles he had. Anyways it said to set the subs at 72db and to use a test disc, I’ve been using the test tones from my receiver, which one is correct to use?
Depends on the avr's test tone levels somewhat for integrating with the speakers but if the test disc can be set the same then your choice (avr pink noise should be fine)....not sure what article you're referring to, tho.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Depends on the avr's test tone levels somewhat for integrating with the speakers but if the test disc can be set the same then your choice (avr pink noise should be fine)....not sure what article you're referring to, tho.
It’s in the selecting a crossover point thread, first post. Article is on crossovers but there’s a link in article that’s talks about calibrating speakers with a SPL Meter and a test disc

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It’s in the selecting a crossover point thread, first post. Article is on crossovers but there’s a link in article that’s talks about calibrating speakers with a SPL Meter and a test disc
Don't know what thread that is, best to just link it....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not always easy to spot something like that...but in this case I did and commented already....but will have to convert the article to a more readily used format like another did. I use a fairly high crossover as I don't have localization issues with my four subs....another paper you might like to read on sub setup is this one but he has some particular beliefs, too. http://www.soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ok. Still a little rattled so...
I would try this. Set each of the front subs to 72. Leave the back sub off. Run ypao. Readjust the front two so the pair is at 75. Now, turn on the back one with the test tone on. Adjust its level so they all 3 show 75db. Then with the tone still on, move the phase knob on the rear sub until you get the most output. Adjust the lfe in the AVR to taste. Maybe 78?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Ok. Still a little rattled so...
I would try this. Set each of the front subs to 72. Leave the back sub off. Run ypao. Readjust the front two so the pair is at 75. Now, turn on the back one with the test tone on. Adjust its level so they all 3 show 75db. Then with the tone still on, move the phase knob on the rear sub until you get the most output. Adjust the lfe in the AVR to taste. Maybe 78?
Ok, thx man. Hopefully you took care of your neighbor. You think I’ll gain any advantage if I move the right front one into the right front corner like geddes is suggesting?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis