R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
My third vtf3 came Tuesday and I got it hooked up tonight. Other two are up front and I put the third one behind my second row couch and it’s 4 1/2 ft from that couch. My question is, since my Yamaha doesn’t do independent distances for each sub, how do I know where to set the distance for the three of them? After I ran ypao it set distance to 5.5ft which it is just measuring the rear sub behind me. Help is appreciated for finding correct distance for all three

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Use a y splitter on the 2 that are equidistant from you, and plug the near-field sub in to its own port.

Level up: get in to using REW and setting up a mini DSP 2x4HD which will manage up to 4 subs, while allowing you to completely customize placement and curve, etc.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Use a y splitter on the 2 that are equidistant from you, and plug the near-field sub in to its own port.

Level up: get in to using REW and setting up a mini DSP 2x4HD which will manage up to 4 subs, while allowing you to completely customize placement and curve, etc.

Sorry, fell asleep after my post. Yes, that is how I hooked them up before I posted last night. This may be a dumb question but do you need rew with mini dsp 2x4hd or use mini dsp on its own? I’ve never used either one so I have no idea

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
REW allows you to program the miniDSP units. you Should be able to learn some basics of it on the MiniDSP website. They have manuals and other guidance on their site.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If your avr cannot handle two different delay (distance) settings then placing all subs equidistant may be one option. REW would allow you to measure to see what's going on, and can help implement eq in the miniDSP if you want (you can also set subs up for delay/eq etc with the miniDSP "by ear" but...).

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
REW allows you to program the miniDSP units. you Should be able to learn some basics of it on the MiniDSP website. They have manuals and other guidance on their site.
While you SHOULD be able to learn about it on their site, it's damn near completely devoid of helpful information. The most helpful thing I've found is a video out up by a kid, maybe 15 or 16 years old. I was so impressed with his knowledge, and it was through his video that I learned how to take a measurement, set an eq filter, save it then import it into the miniDSP. Here's the link:

I'm finding it pretty tough to nail down the PEQ's, but I'm now, more than ever, that placement is the single most important thing to eliminate modes. I placed my subs according to convenience and I have a huge suck out from 50hz to about 70hz. I'm not sure if I'm going to crawl it out right now though as I'm close to finishing my Ultimax and adding it into the mix. I'll say this though- monkeying around with this stuff is really fun and educational.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
If your avr cannot handle two different delay (distance) settings then placing all subs equidistant may be one option. REW would allow you to measure to see what's going on, and can help implement eq in the miniDSP if you want (you can also set subs up for delay/eq etc with the miniDSP "by ear" but...).
So are you saying to put all three up front? Two are up front now and one is behind me

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hey Norcal! Thank's for sharing the video... I can't get into it now but will!
I emailed with MDSP for some other questions I had about other products I was considering, they sent me links with instructional guides and all sorts of different support info. Admittedly, some of that stuff can be hard to find, but they do have a trove if you are patient. :)

Regarding moving subs, I would still recommend crawling it out for the best 3-4 locations you can find in your room. As you continue learning to use the REW and the 2x4, you should gain very significant control over your subs! Placements will actually get easier, if I understand correctly, because you will be able to tweek for each sub as you go. When all is said and done, you should have great bass response in your room!

Would love to see some pics of your Sub build!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So are you saying to put all three up front? Two are up front now and one is behind me
Equidistant just means each sub an equal distance away from your listening position....can be in front, sides, behind or combos....

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Equidistant just means each sub an equal distance away from your listening position....can be in front, sides, behind or combos....
Yea I know, all three would have to be up front for them to be all equal distance since the two up front are almost 13ft to my seat

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yea I know, all three would have to be up front for them to be all equal distance since the two up front are almost 13ft to my seat
Why do they need to be on the front wall at all is another consideration....I spread them around my listening position if possible.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
There is the potential for a lot of cancellation effect with even just 2 subs and your main speakers on the same wall... I would not add the third up there. even still, if you can individually adjust the two subwoofer outputs for level and distance, than you should be able to keep the front two on one output and use the second output to control the 3rd Sub.
Regardless, we all have to deal with the idiosyncrasies of our own rooms... be flexible and creative in placement! :)

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
If they're all up front they can't be equidistant as the left and right subs would represent the hypotenuse of two mirror imaged right triangles, where the distance of the third sub would be equal to the height of said right triangles, or something different from the sides, at the very least.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Why do they need to be on the front wall at all is another consideration....I spread them around my listening position if possible.
THIS!
I've become a proponent of the Geddes technique for placing multiple subs: strategic, asymmetrical placement around the room. Especially if you have good Mains, you can easily have 5 LF sources then on 4 walls which will go a very long way to evening out the bass response in the room through the excitation of the most Room Modes possible. :)
Measurements are needed to perfect it, but just using the crawl and the Audyssey app did a great job for me. I'm still working on learning REW, and when I get the time, I'll be diving much deeper into that.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
...would love to see some pics of your Sub build!
I'll post pics when I'm done, but it's going to be REALLY basic. It's been tough finding to time to work on it. The CEO of PG&E is unhappy with the pace of work up here in Paradise, so they're starting to push us really hard Basic is not in my nature, so I'm planning on putting this sub, and possibly another, in more inconspicuous locations, and getting "crafty" with the other two. Good news is at this point I've already got enough ouput to be pretty stoked on my situation- 105db @ 20hz with no gain applied. Just looking to even everything out.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
THIS!
I've become a proponent of the Geddes technique for placing multiple subs: strategic, asymmetrical placement around the room. Especially if you have good Mains, you can easily have 5 LF sources then on 4 walls which will go a very long way to evening out the bass response in the room through the excitation of the most Room Modes possible. :)
Measurements are needed to perfect it, but just using the crawl and the Audyssey app did a great job for me. I'm still working on learning REW, and when I get the time, I'll be diving much deeper into that.
@lovinthehd opened my eyes to Geddes' approach. I'm definitely going to try that with the integration of my third... I think I already have some ideas of where to put them. Oh... And risers and stuff!!!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oh duh wrong thread. Hey ryan!

@NorCalRP the link above might help you. Unless you still don’t have sound.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
THIS!
I’ve been reading up on the geddes approach, I just have not had a lot of time to get down there and play with things, kids sports have been killing me since they started school

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis