F

flippo

Full Audioholic
Sorry I didn't get any pics of the actual build but here are pictures of the build before port and driver (and staining) are done. I will be staining it on Monday and when that is done I'll install the port, amp and driver.

Attachments

F

flippo

Full Audioholic
sanding

I will also have to sand a little in places

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Looks very nice, should blow that Polk subwoofer out of the water when it's finished. The design looks very similar to the SVS NSD series subwoofers.

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
Love the natural wood grain! I am going to assume from the perceived quality and fit of the construction that you've done stuff like this before, so I won't go on about the principles of staining and application.

Looks awesome, what kind of finish are you applying? Make sure to post more pics when you're done.

F

flippo

Full Audioholic
First time

Actually this is the first time attempting something like this. Haven't decided on stain but will be medium dark to dark.

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
Well it looks like you're well on your way, good job.

As for your staining, the more sanding and prep time you put in now, the better your finish will be later.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Sorry I didn't get any pics of the actual build but here are pictures of the build before port and driver (and staining) are done. I will be staining it on Monday and when that is done I'll install the port, amp and driver.
I hate to have to point this out to you; you have the self anchor t-nuts on the wrong side. They are meant to mount through the back side.

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
Good spot jinjuku.

Flippo, you can screw bolts into the tee nuts, so they protrude out of the rear face of the baffle (i.e. pointing into your enclosure). You can then use a hammer and carefully tap on the end of the bolt (from the inside). That should pop each tee nut off without too much damage to your baffle rebate.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
This is for the Kappa Perfect driver, correct? Please realize, the relatively small cross section area of the tube port will severely limit SPL at and around the port tuning frequency.

-Chris

F

flippo

Full Audioholic
Can you please explain in newbie (with diy) terms? not sure what you mean? Also it figures I would put the T nuts on wrong side! I can probably can get them out but how would I put them back in? The best thing about DIY is I can rebuild later down road if I totally mess it up!

Last edited:
F

flippo

Full Audioholic
veneer

The veneer I put on is pre sanded and ready for staining I just have to get the edges. I also will be putting in more insulation when I get more ( didn't get enough!)

jinjuku

jinjuku

Just flip the t-nuts around to the other side, thread a bolt (with washer) and tighten down until they seat. That should do it.

OR

You can also off-set the woofer screw holes and re-drill again. You will want to fill in the old holes with something along the lines of tub/bathroom caulk.

BTW, did you drill press those holes for the driver? And where did you get your veneer?

F

flippo

Full Audioholic
veneer

I got the veneer through partsexpress (band it). The actual hole for the driver I cut roughly with jigsaw and the used sanding table to finish.

I am just afraid that I will tear up the baffle getting tee nuts out but I will
Try.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I meant: Did you use a drill press for the mounting/screw holes where the t-nuts are?

F

flippo

Full Audioholic
yes I did. I think I see where your'e goig with this. how well do the holes
match up, correct?

jinjuku

jinjuku

yes I did. I think I see where your'e goig with this. how well do the holes
match up, correct?
No, the holes should line up just fine. Just that another newb mistake is not using a drill press for the mounting holes when it comes to t-nuts. If you don't, and use a hand drill, the bolts won't be perfectly perpendicular.

That's all. Let us know how it goes with getting the t-nuts redone.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Can you please explain in newbie (with diy) terms? not sure what you mean? Also it figures I would put the T nuts on wrong side! I can probably can get them out but how would I put them back in? The best thing about DIY is I can rebuild later down road if I totally mess it up!
I think we went over this before, but if that is for the kappa perfect 12, then that vent is too small and the airspeed will be far too high. What are going to be your port dimensions?

F

flippo

Full Audioholic
vent

The port 4" flared at both ends and 17" long ( I got the length from winISD) and got a Mach of .11 (I am using the midq option)

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The port 4" flared at both ends and 17" long ( I got the length from winISD) and got a Mach of .11 (I am using the midq option)
With the Qts set to 0.44, that is about right. Box pro makes the vent length 19 in if both ends are flared. Vent velocity is 30 m/sec, so that is right up to the red line so to speak. I doubt you will play it a full power anyway, so you should be OK. I do recommend you flare both ends of the vent.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis