Stolen by Canadian distributors

J

JAB

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I am not an expert on the different types of ink cartridges HP manufactures, but I can tell you with experience that their Photo Smart models have cartridges designed to fill the land dumps. The color cartridge is very difficult to fill - even the refill professionals have a high failure rate with this cartridge. Also, HP has designed the cartridges (black &amp; color) with the print heads attached to them. These heads conveniently wear out after about 6 refills, forcing the owner of this series back to the store to get gouged repeatedly. Both the black and color cartridges are horribly expensive - I am sure the profit is 1000% or more.

Hey ! I just thought of a great idea! The gas corporations should be the only suppliers of Detroit iron - they could sell the cars as lost leaders for $1000 and than charge $200 to fill 'em up at the pump and ----------- Sorry, Mr. Bacardi talking again!

Al</font>

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>CSA and UL certification actually have the same criteria, and the certs mean the exact same thing.

Only differnce is if your insurance co. will recognize that label if one of these devices goes fireball on you.

Here, at work (in the US) we use both UL and CSA. &nbsp;The problem with UL, is everything has to be UL approved, even though CSA is the exact equal.....its not UL...so you have to get whatever part you are using UL approved as well.... &nbsp;

CSA on the other hand, accepts UL certs as gold for many items. &nbsp;

Another part is the level of invasiveness of the auditors....CSA just makes sure nothing changed. &nbsp;UL wants to dismantle everything and put it under a fine toothe comb. &nbsp;Frustrating to say the least.

Either way I think CSA is better to deal with than UL.</font>

J

JAB

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>If you go grey market here in Canada at tle local cut and slash store, quite often you will find various electronics with a UL listed stamp, but no CSA stamp. Without the CSA approval, the Canadian branches will not honor any type of warranty enclosed with the product. They consider it a &nbsp;circumvention of their regional distribution systems. I know the UL and CSA certifications are alike, but a model intended to be sold in Canada must still go through the CSA process. This is not done as a courtesy, i.e. it costs money!

Insurance companies are not in business to loose money, so I am certain that if it is deemed that a particular electronic device was responsible for toasting your house, condo, apartment, &nbsp;etc. and was not CSA approved, they would walk on you. Another reason to ponder a grey market purchase carefully.

Al</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I would doubt that insurance companies would be able to make their case in court that two standard that are the same but bear different names would be a cause for fire. When it is so obvious you are going to loose you don't go to court.

This is the same thing as saying that a generic medication has not the same side effects as the original one. AAS is aspirin and is Salicylic Acid.

The only thing is that the manufacturers will not provide insurance. When the business case is as good as this one, we should all go to Grey market or even make it ourselves.</font>

J

JAB

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Pam,

I live in a city where some 238 homes were lost to forest fires last summer. In my job,I am currently working with many of these burned-out victims, and so-called ironclad home insurance is not so &quot;ironclad.&quot; I have been witness to many owner/ insurance disputes, and they will walk if they can find an out.

If you feel that a CSA rating is not worth a hill of beans to a Canadian Insurance Company, that's your call. I personally would never buy a UL listed only receiver, etc. to save a few bucks which is what you get on the grey market. UL approved electronics, whether they are exactly the same specs or not, are not considered legit in Canada until tested and approved by CSA.

I prefer Aspirin over generic ASA.

Al</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>I took a look at the CBC Marketplace show's Website and they don't seem to have done a show on the cost of consumer electronics in Canada, at least not as far back as I cared to take the time to look (about three or four years). Maybe an email from some of you Canadians to them would result in a story as was suggested above (I'm a Yank so I'd have less cred).

They did do one on printer cartridges, though.

Oh, and I was kidding about NAFTA being a Canadian plot. And about our Dubya and Belinda. She's too good looking for him! But like pam said, maybe Clinton...

Actually, the conventional wisdom on NAFTA (with which I agree) is that it has neither been as bad as its detractors feared or as good as it boosters promised. In short, it's like most human endeavors!

But Tim Horton's has been expanding here in the States!</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
JAB : <font color='#000000'>to save a few bucks which is what you get on the grey market.</font>
<font color='#000000'>How about twice the price?

I would not go through a lot of trouble for anything under 25%.

Also have you heard of many AV equipment causing fire? It is more dangerous for me to take a plane than to have a fire caused by AV equipment.

Would you pay twice the price for Aspirin?</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Rip Van Woofer : <font color='#000000'>But Tim Horton's has been expanding here in the States!</font>
<font color='#000000'>Hi Rip

You are winning in the exchange. We gave you Tim Horton's you gave us McDonald, Wendy's, Burger King, Starbucks, Home Depot, Walmart, Ford, GM, Chrysler, F-18, Pfizer (hey! hey!), Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, Intel, Dell and Ikea &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Ikea's not ours...they're from Sweden. We don't even have one in the Detroit area...yet.

Now, would you please take back Celine Dion?

BTW, where in Quebec are you? It's truly la belle provence -- my wife and I visited there some years back. We did a lot of the usual tourist stuff in Montreal &amp; Quebec City, and drove up to Tadoussac to take a whale cruise. Lots of pretty country, nice small towns, and friendly people along the way (even though Quebec separatism was still very much alive then &amp; we are of course English speaking. Maybe if we'd been from Ontario it would have been different?).  Visited Ile aux Coudres, Baie St. Paul (I think) &amp; other places along the way. Only thing we hated was getting stuck behind logging trucks crawling up the hills with a huge load of timber that was held by what seemed to us to be dangerously small chains! We kept imagining ourselves being buried under tons of logs on a remote road.</font>

J

JAB

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Pam;

Don't fly, drive, or walk to buy your grey market receiver. Have it delivered to you and if it is only UL listed, don't plug it in!!

Don't buy Bayer stock.

I predict a long and prosperous life for you.

Soothsayer Al</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
JAB : <font color='#000000'>Don't buy Bayer stock.</font>
<font color='#000000'>Hi JAB

I bought Elan (ELN) stock a few years ago...</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
Rip Van Woofer : <font color='#000000'>Now, would you please take back Celine Dion?
</font>
<font color='#000000'>Hi Rip

You bought Celine's disk, keep her.

BTW, you can ship us Janet
. As we have partly a french background, we have less problem with nudity (you should see publicity in France on telivision and in magazines).

The trick when you travel is Quebec is to learn 30 words of French. You try in French first and the person your talking to will switch to english to help you (most of us are bilingual). Actually, you just have to learn to say Excusez-moi (Ex-cue-zay-Moo-Ha) and people will hear the difference and will gladly help you.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>So I guess the French have no problem with washed up, no talent former pop-tarts either!
&nbsp; Well, you're welcome to Celine and Janet!</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
Rob Babcock : <font color='#000000'>So I guess the French have no problem with washed up, no talent former pop-tarts either!</font>
<font color='#000000'>Don't really know about the french (except Bireli Lagrene and Batiste Trotignon) but if you really want to know about french canadians, just come to the Montreal Jazz Festival: 10 days of Jazz, 300-400 shows. A lot of free shows.

I was not refering to the musical side of Janet...</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
pam : <font color='#000000'>The trick when you travel is Quebec is to learn 30 words of French. You try in French first and the person your talking to will switch to english to help you (most of us are bilingual). Actually, you just have to learn to say Excusez-moi (Ex-cue-zay-Moo-Ha) and people will hear the difference and will gladly help you.</font>
<font color='#000000'>I usually try to learn a bit of the language no matter where I go, although Turkish and Bahasa Indonesia were tough!

Not to make anyone jealous (heh,heh), but right now I´m in Mexico on Isla Mujeres brushing up my tourist Spanish! Just landed today. Me and Mrs. will be here for nine days. We´re going to drive to Merida in the northwestern Yucatan later in the week and check that out for our first time.

Meanwhile my computer is shut down so my Website is down too, if anyone tries to visit my page.

Hasta la vista!</font>

pam : <font color='#000000'>Panasonic DVD-F85: MRSP in Canada 379.99, MRSP in US: 149.99USD (or 199.99 CAD).

Difference 190%.</font>
<font color='#000080'>WOW.</font>

J

JAB

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>In U.S.A. &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;In Canada

Broken Leg &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; $6000 USD &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;$0.00
Presciptions &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Lots &nbsp;USD &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;up to 50% less
Cars (same models) &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Expensive &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Cheaper
Taxes &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Outrageous &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Ditto
Quality of Life &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Fair &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Tops in World
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; U.N. Survey

Ya win some and you loose some!!</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi JAB

The broken leg is paid by value added taxes and income tax. Everything we buy in Quebec we must add: 7.5% on GST and 8% of PST. If I buy from US, I have to pay these tax, same as if I buy in Canada.

Also we have big income tax. Something like 40%-50%.

All of this covers the price of health care. About the medication, the reason it is lower is because it is also covered by Government so they can negotiate better prices.

Finally, health insurance has nothing to do with AV equipment surcharge in Canada.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Ah, I see we made it to healthcare!
</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis