Stock Markets, I coulda had a great set of speakers!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Anything where you bet on the future price of something is a crap shoot. That would include real estate, gold, pork belly futures, or digital currency, as well as the more familiar stock or bond markets.
Not true. A crap shoot, rolling the dice, is pure chance. There is no information available. With every asset on your list there is information available. In the case of gold, diamonds, and digital currencies they are manipulated by entities or people who own enough of the asset to manipulate (or just affect) the prices for their own benefit.

I am jealous of Jeff Bezos though. By luck, he sold over $4B of Amazon stock right at the price peak before the virus correction started. He still has lost many billions on what's left, but it still looks awfully lucky. ;)

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I am jealous of Jeff Bezos though. By luck, he sold over $4B of Amazon stock right at the price peak before the virus correction started. He still has lost many billions on what's left, but it still looks awfully lucky. ;)
I know! Sometimes I think it’s all manipulation, but they let us play.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Or you do like me and gain with a drop. Dow is only what, 30 companies? and these days its becoming a terrible representation of the actual market. Look into other 'market averages' Russell 2000 or 3000 for example.
Or total stock market.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Yep my total bond fund has made money and provided some yield while my stock funds drop. But you really do need some of both IMHO.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Yep my total bond fund has made money and provided some yield while my stock funds drop. But you really do need some of both IMHO.
For a conservatively balanced portfolio yes. For us "most aggressive" folks, we live on the wild side.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
My money is in the Bonds market...I made money
Yes, bonds are making money, I’m 80/20 bonds to stocks so it did minimize some loss, but 10% is still a very nice set of speakers.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
For a conservatively balanced portfolio yes. For us "most aggressive" folks, we live on the wild side.
Hopefully the stock market will stabilize next week. Question - were you "aggressive" in 2000 and 2008? That did take some nerve. :)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Hopefully the stock market will stabilize next week. Question - were you "aggressive" in 2000 and 2008? That did take some nerve. :)
No, I was too absorbed in my career back then. I was mostly in mutual funds, with a few exceptions. In 2008 I panicked more than I should have, and sold more than I should have. But I was still too absorbed in my career to really investigate things. Frankly, I'm surprised the recovery went as well as it did in 2009-2011, considering how screwed-up the entire financial system was. I didn't really get aggressive until about 2012 or so.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
Stay the course...., you loose some and gain some more..,net positive..,but you got to stay, not panic. Stop refreshing that page ;-)
Maybe take the opportunity and buy low...the gain will be higher when it bounces :)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Stay the course...., you loose some and gain some more..,net positive..,but you got to stay, not panic. Stop refreshing that page ;-)
Maybe take the opportunity and buy low...the gain will be higher when it bounces :)
Agree, mostly, but over the next few months the pain could be excruciating. Maybe. In December of 2018 we had a deeper correction than we've seen so far in this one, but that was short-lived. A vaccine is a long time away in market-time. The only way to keep your head on straight is to have a two-year horizon.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
No, I was too absorbed in my career back then. I was mostly in mutual funds, with a few exceptions. In 2008 I panicked more than I should have, and sold more than I should have. But I was still too absorbed in my career to really investigate things. Frankly, I'm surprised the recovery went as well as it did in 2009-2011, considering how screwed-up the entire financial system was. I didn't really get aggressive until about 2012 or so.
Fundamentals, fundamentals, buy companies, not markets. The majority of people that panic should not be in the market to begin with. The market needed a correction (although I'm not suggesting of this type), the fact remains, there's plenty of $$ on the sidelines waiting to jump back in...........

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Fundamentals, fundamentals, buy companies, not markets. The majority of people that panic should not be in the market to begin with. The market needed a correction (although I'm not suggesting of this type), the fact remains, there's plenty of $$ on the sidelines waiting to jump back in...........
Agree, but talk is easy; staying put in the face of deep uncertainty is difficult. ;)

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
I'm retiring in just 12 weeks and want my money to be as protected as possible while still growing so I chose all bonds and have had no regrets.
I may be getting 3-4% but that is stable compared to the stock market.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
I'm retiring in just 12 weeks and want my money to be as protected as possible while still growing so I chose all bonds and have had no regrets.
I may be getting 3-4% but that is stable compared to the stock market.
that's what I'd do too, when I get there..long time away, though.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Stock are up about 2-3% right now (DJ total market is up 2.5% as I write this).

Mini survey: Is this just a dead cat bounce, or is it an actual rally of sorts? This is more for sh*ts and giggles than anything else.

I'm terrible at predicting the market so I'm planning to leave everything in stocks the same as I did in 1987 and 2008 (queue REO "Ridin' The Storm Out")(I just realized I was actually in the mountains with my lady beside me watching the snow this weekend)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
In hindsight that was an excellent time to get "aggressive" I was a bit too conservative back then (and now) but who knows?

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Stock are up about 2-3% right now (DJ total market is up 2.5% as I write this).

Mini survey: Is this just a dead cat bounce, or is it an actual rally of sorts? This is more for sh*ts and giggles than anything else.

I'm terrible at predicting the market so I'm planning to leave everything in stocks the same as I did in 1987 and 2008 (queue REO "Ridin' The Storm Out")(I just realized I was actually in the mountains with my lady beside me watching the snow this weekend)
Markets, or indexes, will correct and as the past hiccups have shown; they will continue to climb. If I'm not mistaken, one of the big issues from 08 was due to those with uncertainty pulling all their assets. Leave em in as you did and are, the reallocations will take place and the gains will continue. 5% gain today in the dow and that only pertains to 30 companies. If I had to guess I'd bet on the dow riding around 28k with a 5% tolerance until november.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis