Stock Markets, I coulda had a great set of speakers!

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I am fantasy shopping for all the gear I could have with the money I lost in stocks this week!
What would you buy with the money you lost this week?

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I didn't sell so I haven't lost a thing ………….
Actually you (and I did lose). But if we plan to hold on you are probably right and we wont lose a cent. But if we needed to sell now for any reason we did lose. Don't forget that after the big crash in 1929 it took years to get back to even. So no guarantees.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Yes, it’s all on paper and I am only 20% equities but that was a quick drop and I think it will go lower.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I think after the last few days I'm about 18% equities so it's not that big of a deal to me right now.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Or you do like me and gain with a drop. Dow is only what, 30 companies? and these days its becoming a terrible representation of the actual market. Look into other 'market averages' Russell 2000 or 3000 for example.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
My fantasy is that the market drops to zero and I can then personally own every single company on the Forbes 500 list.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
When the market tanks, that is the time to BUY!

Most people don't seem to understand the concept.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General

Amazing isn’t it! People buy consumer goods all the time on sale and brag about it. Equities are on sale now and destined to get cheaper

Sometimes I think about going back to work just to to have more money to invest!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Amazing isn’t it! People buy consumer goods all the time on sale and brag about it. Equities are on sale now and destined to get cheaper

Sometimes I think about going back to work just to to have more money to invest!
Right.....your $ works for you, don't work for your $

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

The problem at the moment is that no one has a good grasp of where the bottom even approximately is. The CDC screwed up the COVID-19 test kits they sent out, and the WHO raised its alert level globally, so just looking the DJIA is down around another 1000 points as I type this. This chaos reminds me of 2008. Everyone seemed to be panicking, and I got sucked into it too. That was dumb.

I suspect one of the pressures now with some stocks are employees with stock options that expire this year or next. This would hit the high tech stocks hard. Stock options have an expiration date; exercise when they're "above water" or potentially lose everything if the price doesn't recover before they expire. I suspect that explains some of what's going on with Apple and Amazon right now.

Another thing that reminds me of 2008: interest rates are falling as the equity markets fall. There are few places to hide except for real assets, and they always have carrying costs or annoyances.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Think we are over due for a recession at some point soon this year but wow it’s dropping a lot this week.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
When I took Economics 101 in college, we learned all about gross national product (now called gross domestic product), employment, interest rates, inflation, and economic growth & decline.

I distinctly remember a wise ass in the back of the class room ask the prof, "Yeah but what about Wall Street?" His answer, "Wall Street is the world's biggest crap game. It has little direct connection to the economy. At best, it only indirectly reflects the real economy."

His answer then remains a good answer today.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
By real assets I meant things like land, buildings, commodities, etc. If Swerd thinks the equity markets are a crap shoot, they're nothing compared to gold. I know some people put gold in the category of real assets, but the only things I can think of more manipulated or a crap shoot are digital currencies.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
By real assets I meant things like land, buildings, commodities, etc. If Swerd thinks the equity markets are a crap shoot, they're nothing compared to gold. I know some people put gold in the category of real assets, but the only things I can think of more manipulated or a crap shoot are digital currencies.
Very true, your statement just reminded me of that scene. It's crazy to me that some people want our currency back on the gold standard.

I keep hearing that real estate is where a lot of people build their wealth, but I have yet to take the plunge.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Anything where you bet on the future price of something is a crap shoot. That would include real estate, gold, pork belly futures, or digital currency, as well as the more familiar stock or bond markets.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis