Status Acoustics Titus 8T Floorstanding Speaker System Review

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Great review. What a speaker! Just want to clarify on a potential typo in the review.

"I torture-tested these subs by running LFE + all channels set to small on bass intense Blu-rays at above reference levels in my large room and was unable to bottom the drivers or cause any serious audible distress."

Shouldn't it read LFE + all channels set to LARGE

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Great review. What a speaker! Just want to clarify on a potential typo in the review.

"I torture-tested these subs by running LFE + all channels set to small on bass intense Blu-rays at above reference levels in my large room and was unable to bottom the drivers or cause any serious audible distress."

Shouldn't it read LFE + all channels set to LARGE
actually all speakers except the main channels were set to "small" so the bass was redirected to the main channels. Let me try to clarify that. thanks.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
actually all speakers except the main channels were set to "small" so the bass was redirected to the main channels. Let me try to clarify that. thanks.
Cool. So the Status 8T are set to LARGE while center and surrounds are set to small. Thanks for the clarification.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Cool. So the Status 8T are set to LARGE while center and surrounds are set to small. Thanks for the clarification.
Yes. Does this clear it up?

I torture-tested these subs by running the main channels fullrange and directing bass from LFE + ALL channels (center + surrounds) set to "small" back to the main channels.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
no doubt but I do live in fear that the second story of my home may one day collapse due to all the weight of the home theater equipment and my riser platform. There have been a lot of sinkholes in my neighborhood :eek:
Know what you mean. I'm up the Windermere area and the golf course had a couple open up last year.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Yes. Does this clear it up?

I torture-tested these subs by running the main channels fullrange and directing bass from LFE + ALL channels (center + surrounds) set to "small" back to the main channels.
That works, but still a brain teaser. How about,

I torture-tested the lower bass module by running them full range for the Main L, R channels. To this I added the LFE channel and bass (below crossover frequency) for center and surround channels.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
You know SVS Magazine measured the FR on the Salon2 to be +/-1.3dB from 28Hz-17kHz. That's going to be very tough to beat. :D
Yes I do. :D

My Philharmonic 2s are even flatter than that (on axis) and Dennis used $100 drivers. He is a great example of a competent DIYer. :)

*Does not run away this time*

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Right, I don't disagree with that. I would not call Salk, Linkwitz or Dennis Murphy a typical DIYer, though. :)
My point is that an individual with the correct combination of drive and education/experience can achieve great results without the resources of a large company. I don't know if Salk does much design or if he "brokers" talent (like Dennis M and Paul K. in the case of the SongTower) together to design his speakers.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Great review. I think the best part for me was the sheer excitement with which Gene wrote the article. Nice to see someone with his experience be able to be amazed and excited by a new product. Speaker system for life is a strong statement. Pretty sweet that you now get to listen to these whenever you like. Congrats.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Why isn't Dennis a typical DIYer? He's an economist for the FTC. xD

He has done more for the community than a typical DIYer.

THANK YOU, Dennis.

I for one can't wait to see his Seos design.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So a DIY is going to do with $6k what is $22k Salon? Are you going to also calculate how many hours you put in so we can then calculate a wage to pay yourself and add that in to see if you really saved yourself anything or just the time involved? ^_^
When there is passion behind the task, the hours are free!
You would be a fool to get into design DIY (as opposed to building someone else's design) if you don't enjoy the process.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Why isn't Dennis a typical DIYer? He's an economist for the FTC. xD

He has done more for the community than a typical DIYer.

THANK YOU, Dennis.

I for one can't wait to see his Seos design.
He's a professional, one of the best in the business. You don't call someone that experienced and good a typical DIYer. You call him a trade-master or industry professional. Respect son!

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
My point is that an individual with the correct combination of drive and education/experience can achieve great results without the resources of a large company..
Great results, yes. Results to the like of Salon2's or Titus 8T's (performance and aesthetics), unlikely.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
He's a professional, one of the best in the business. You don't call someone that experienced and good a typical DIYer. You call him a trade-master or industry professional. Respect son!
I believe a "typical DIY'er" builds but does not design speakers and crossovers. You inserted the word typical. I don't think anyone making claims about the ability to DIY a top quality speaker used the term "typical".

My understanding is Dennis was a DIY'er who was making his designs available to the DIY community long before he started his own business. Salk recognized his talent and contracted with him and he is unquestionably a pro at this point.

However, the important thing to this discussion is that Dennis is a progeny of the DIY community, not commercial industry.

I bet Dennis prefers to think of himself as a "DIY'er gone pro" rather than an "industry professional".

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I believe a "typical DIY'er" builds but does not design speakers and crossovers. You inserted the word typical. I don't think anyone making claims about the ability to DIY a top quality speaker used the term "typical".

My understanding is Dennis was a DIY'er who was making his designs available to the DIY community long before he started his own business. Salk recognized his talent and contracted with him and he is unquestionably a pro at this point.

However, the important thing to this discussion is that Dennis is a progeny of the DIY community, not commercial industry.

I bet Dennis prefers to think of himself as a "DIY'er gone pro" rather than an "industry professional".
Of course he doesn't; he's a humble man. We all know how skilled he is, though.

I agree with your typical DIYer definition. I'd imagine even competent ones enlist the help of other professionals to help with things like cabinet design, veneering, etc.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
That works, but still a brain teaser. How about,

I torture-tested the lower bass module by running them full range for the Main L, R channels. To this I added the LFE channel and bass (below crossover frequency) for center and surround channels.
I met you in the middle and re-wrote as follows:

I torture-tested these subs by running them as the left/right main channels fullrange while directing bass to them from the LFE channel and ALL channels (center + surrounds) set to "small".

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Thanks for the review Gene. It's always interesting to see up close and personal like this what a manufacturer can give you in exchange for 50,000 McDoubles (or McChickens!). Also interesting to see how the design decisions filter down, even to the budget line EMP Tek E55Ti. Unfortunately I did not see a "buy it now" link on the product page; I was all set to see what kind of call I'd get from my credit card company :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis