Status Acoustics Titus 8T Floorstanding Speaker System Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Thanks for the review Gene. It's always interesting to see up close and personal like this what a manufacturer can give you in exchange for 50,000 McDoubles (or McChickens!). Also interesting to see how the design decisions filter down, even to the budget line EMP Tek E55Ti. Unfortunately I did not see a "buy it now" link on the product page; I was all set to see what kind of call I'd get from my credit card company :D
LOL

The Buy now Link is there but for some reason its showing up on the right side below the image, at least on my display.

here is the direct link to place your order :cool:
Status Acoustics 8T Tower

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I actually meant that there's no "add to cart" or anything like that on their website versus say, EMP Tek's website. Can't imagine why :p

As a side note, the company as a whole could probably use a website facelift. It's so Web 1.0 :eek:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I actually meant that there's no "add to cart" or anything like that on their website versus say, EMP Tek's website. Can't imagine why :p

As a side note, the company as a whole could probably use a website facelift. It's so Web 1.0 :eek:
no doubt, their website is severely lacking. The Status product isn't something you'd want to order online anyways. It's the type of product you would want to speak to the designer so he can build your pair to meet your specific requirements and possibly fly out to help you setup.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
no doubt, their website is severely lacking. The Status product isn't something you'd want to order online anyways. It's the type of product you would want to speak to the designer so he can build your pair to meet your specific requirements and possibly fly out to help you setup.
Bingo.

For one thing, are you really going to spend fifty grand just trusting Gene's ears? I don't even trust ADTG that much. :)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
For one thing, are you really going to spend fifty grand just trusting Gene's ears? I don't even trust ADTG that much. :)
It's not so much that I'd buy a speaker based on how attractive a website is or how glowing a review Gene gives it. However, in a crowded marketplace, those things are useful and effective marketing tools, and a substandard website is one of those things that may be costing them business.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The Status product isn't something you'd want to order online anyways. It's the type of product you would want to speak to the designer so he can build your pair to meet your specific requirements and possibly fly out to help you setup.
Naturally. When you're talking about a "Statement" level product, you're going to expect a little better than average treatment :D

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Seen it. There is nothing "typical" about that guy's work. His work likely doesn't reflect the majority of DIYers.
That's the third "statement" design that's been shown...Obviously DIYer are capable of designing "statement" products.

No, it's not a typical boxy +/-3db speaker that goes for ~2K in a retail store. It's a work of visual and sonic art. :) 2K...

I'd imagine even competent ones enlist the help of other professionals to help with things like cabinet design
Why? Designing a cabinet is not very difficult...

veneering
I would enlist help with this simply because I don't care much for it and have little desire to learn. A little paint is more than enough for my speakers.

That said, many DIYers (like the ones shown) are very good at making a beautiful Salk-style cabinet! In the color, veneer, and material of their choice, btw.

The 20k Salon2 comes in what-- 2 colors?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Seen it. There is nothing "typical" about that guy's work. His work likely doesn't reflect the majority of DIYers.
You can't have it both ways here for pete's sake. You seem upset that there are some absolutely astounding DIYers out there.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I'll design them the MOST killer audio specific website. We'll barter for some Titus 8T's.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
You seem upset that there are some absolutely astounding DIYers out there.
I think some people truly have an issue with DIY because it is a better value.** The fact that someone built something better than what you can buy retail (on your budget), for an exponentially smaller $ amount...kinda sucks.

With the average markup, a speaker one builds for $360..would sell for $1800!

That 2K speaker would retail for 10K!!! Not to mention the "premium" veneer and "exotic" drivers that would most likely hike the price!

** I don't mean that as a swipe at you, Nuance. It's just the most logical explanation I can come up with as to why people think DIY couldn't possibly do the things retailers do, even when there are so many examples. :D

Last edited:
monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
How often do you listen, Gene?

Now that you have the 8T, do you listen even more? :D ;)

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
You can't have it both ways here for pete's sake. You seem upset that there are some absolutely astounding DIYers out there.
Not at all. Remember, earlier I stated I was playing Devil's Advocate. I don't think your average DIYer could compete sonically and visual with the likes of someone like Revel, however. Without skilled DIYers corporations would have never started, though, so don't get the wrong idea.
** I don't mean that as a swipe at you, Nuance. It's just the most logical explanation I can come up with as to why people think DIY couldn't possibly do the things retailers do, even when there are so many examples. :D
No worries. :) Show me some examples, though. I'm talking objective, subjective and aesthetics proof.

Edit: I may have made the Devil's Advocate comment in a different thread. Sorry for the confusion, jinjuku

Last edited:
N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
That's the third "statement" design that's been shown...Obviously DIYer are capable of designing "statement" products.

No, it's not a typical boxy +/-3db speaker that goes for ~2K in a retail store. It's a work of visual and sonic art. :) 2K...

Why? Designing a cabinet is not very difficult...

I would enlist help with this simply because I don't care much for it and have little desire to learn. A little paint is more than enough for my speakers.

That said, many DIYers (like the ones shown) are very good at making a beautiful Salk-style cabinet! In the color, veneer, and material of their choice, btw.

The 20k Salon2 comes in what-- 2 colors?
Cool. Since you think it's so easy then let's see your work. Also, let's see these "many" examples you've spoken of, in multiple different colors and veneers, backed up with objective measurements. :D

DIY rocks, but If Revel, Salk, Kef, etc are so easy to duplicate, then do it, J-Rod. You're talking a big game here, so start walking the walk. :D One year and 6K - you'd better get crackin'

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'll design them the MOST killer audio specific website. We'll barter for some Titus 8T's.
If you're a web designer, they are looking for one. PM me and you may be able to work something out, though I doubt it will be for a pair of 8Ts :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
How often do you listen, Gene?

Now that you have the 8T, do you listen even more? :D ;)
Sadly lately I haven't listened to them at all. I've been slammed with work and holiday preparations. I spent more time this week listening to the Pioneer speakers which isn't such a bad thing at all ;)

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Cool. Since you think it's so easy then let's see your work.
I didn't say it was easy...I said it was possible and it happens often. :D

One day..hopefully soon. :D

Class is over till Feb. I'll get to readin' ;D

One year and 6K - you'd better get crackin'

As for examples of many different veneers and cabinet material...I'll do a little digging for the best of the best with measurements/simulations. :D

InDIYana Photos by brianpowers27 | Photobucket

Iowa DIY 2009 Photos by dougyp333 | Photobucket

DIY2009 Photos by jkandreasen | Photobucket

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy/tubifex

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/tarkus

NaO (this is obviously a business..but it ain't no Harman.. ;D)

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I didn't say it was easy...I said it was possible and it happens often. :D

One day..hopefully soon. :D

Class is over till Feb. I'll get to readin' ;D

As for examples of many different veneers and cabinet material...I'll do a little digging for the best of the best with measurements/simulations. :D

InDIYana Photos by brianpowers27 | Photobucket

Iowa DIY 2009 Photos by dougyp333 | Photobucket

DIY2009 Photos by jkandreasen | Photobucket

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy/tubifex

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/tarkus

NaO (this is obviously a business..but it ain't no Harman.. ;D)
Anyone can Google DIY pictures. Find me some examples that are objectively as good as the Revel Salon2's you claim you can match. It should be easy since you say it happens "often." Then, once we have a good amount examples we'll start narrowing the choices further based on aesthetics. :)

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Find me some examples that are objectively as good as the Revel Salon2's
I have given you one already. I will find you a few more. I have to shift through MANY threads. :p I've seen some designs in passing given to me by DIYers, but I never saved them.

As for the links, you asked for veneers..i gave you that first. There are your veneers. It is now clear DIYers are more than capable of nice looking speakers. Are you satisfied with the DIY cabinetry from an aesthetic POV?

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I have given you one already. I will find you a few more. I have to shift through MANY threads. :p I've seen some designs in passing given to me by DIYers, but I never saved them.

As for the links, you asked for veneers..i gave you that first. There are your veneers. It is now clear DIYers are more than capable of nice looking speakers. Are you satisfied with the DIY cabinetry from an aesthetic POV?
I never said I wasn't. Devil's Advocate, remember?

This topic is probably better served in a different thread. Sorry, Gene.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis