Status Acoustics Titus 8T Floorstanding Speaker System Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
No, no it does not! :D

I will find out. :D

I personally don't feel comparing two other speakers to the 8T is off-topic considering that is the speaker that was reviewed in this thread, but it is your forum so I will shut up. :D
Its fine to discuss other product but I just don't want this turning into a "for $20k, 30k, $40k, you could have X, Y or Z instead or...... for $199/pr you could have a pair of P363s and add 2 Rythmik subs" :D

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Its fine to discuss other product but I just don't want this turning into a "for $20k, 30k, $40k, you could have X, Y or Z instead or...... for $199/pr you could have a pair of P363s and add 2 Rythmik subs" :D
fair enough! :D :D

I will agree that a pair of P363s and 2 Rythmik subs are probably not going to sound as good as the T8. Probably more dynamic though! ;) :D :cool:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Blade can push a good 112db at 8ft. The 8T is definitely more dynamic than both, but it is also ALOT more expensive. Is 115db at 20hz worth $20,000 more than 112db at 40hz? :D
That question can only be answered by the buyer.

Seeing as I don't have a Blade or Salon 2, the answer is obviously no for me.
However, if you added two zeros to my net worth, the answer would be "HELL YEAH"!

I can get immense enjoyment out of my $1,200 speaker 2.1 system. I have a better performing $4000 2.1 speaker system. The $4000 does not get me 3X the capability, it probably performs at about 7% above the $1200's ability. Such is the nature of diminishing returns.

This is definitely not intended as a speaker for the masses!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
fair enough! :D :D

I will agree that a pair of P363s and 2 Rythmik subs are probably not going to sound as good as the T8. Probably more dynamic though! ;) :D :cool:
I'd take the Andrew Jones Pioneer towers (which incidentally I am reviewing right now) over the P363s.

Attachments

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I'd take the Andrew Jones Pioneer towers (which incidentally I am reviewing right now) over the P363s.
Me too! The FS-52 probably doesn't have that rising top end for added big-box-store sizzle. Plus it uses a waveguide! :D Andrew is THE MAN! :D

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Speaking of Andrew...

Gene, when is he gonna send you a pair of Reference ones to review?

And when are you gonna send me that pair? :D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
This does seem to be a common occurrence on AH anytime you review an expensive component or speaker. I remember the phenomenon distinctly in the discussions of the reviews of the Velodyne DD15+ and DD18+ subs. Oh look, you can have two or three or four of these subs instead...

Someone shopping for a $50K speaker is probably not cross-shopping it with a $22K speaker.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
This does seem to be a common occurrence on AH
I'd assume this would be a common occurrence everywhere. People want the best for their money whether it be $50,000 or $10. Sure, the more money you have, the more money matters less, but even a billionaire probably wont spend $5 on a stick of gum. :p

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking "Why is this worth 20K more than that?" or "Why should I go with this $10,000 item when I can get this one for $3,000?"

That said, I can understand why Gene wouldn't want that discussion to take place in the review thread. :D

Someone shopping for a $50K speaker is probably not cross-shopping it with a $22K speaker.
Someone with a 50K budget is probably looking for the best speaker they can possibly get. I'm sure if they can get similar performance for $30,000 less they would.

You own the Salon 2..if you had the opportunity to get something of very similar performance for $13K instead of $22K would you not have done it?

No matter the budget, people tend to want the best value. This isn't always true of course. I am very confident there is that one person who will buy the 8T who listens at 75db but wants it simply because it CAN output 115db. :p And more power to them; wish I could do that! :D

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Everyone or most everyone, has their own desire for their
Audio Land Paradise - it does not bother me, or draw any
flags. I am happy for Gene.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I seriously hope I didn't come off as if I'm not happy for Gene! If Gene is happy with the 8T, I am VERY happy for him! A bit jealous too! :p
You seem to be somewhat wound-up :) - do you ever get much sleep? :)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
You own the Salon 2..if you had the opportunity to get something of very similar performance for $13K instead of $22K would you not have done it?
I listened to a lot of speakers at the time, including the $11K Linkwitz Orion, which was high on my list. I was looking for the best all-round speaker under about $20K, and when I heard the Salon 2 I just fell in love with it. FWIW, I did spend some time listening to the Studio 2, to see if there was an audible difference in the dealer's showroom. I thought there was, albeit subtle, but frankly if I was going to spend new car money on a speaker I wasn't going to risk ultimate satisfaction to save a few thousand dollars. A swap-out later would be costly and inconvenient. I went for the gold. I think a potential 8T buyer will probably be thinking the same way.

Actually, I felt the Salon 2 had the best price-performance at the time I purchased it (2010). There are new choices on the scene now.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I listened to a lot of speakers at the time, including the $11K Linkwitz Orion, which was high on my list. I was looking for the best all-round speaker under about $20K, and when I heard the Salon 2 I just fell in love with it. FWIW, I did spend some time listening to the Studio 2, to see if there was an audible difference in the dealer's showroom. I thought there was, albeit subtle, but frankly if I was going to spend new car money on a speaker I wasn't going to risk ultimate satisfaction to save a few thousand dollars. A swap-out later would be costly and inconvenient. I went for the gold. I think a potential 8T buyer will probably be thinking the same way.

Actually, I felt the Salon 2 had the best price-performance at the time I purchased it (2010). There are new choices on the scene now.
The Salon2 is a beautifully crafted excellent sounding speaker. You made a great choice and I wouldn't change it if I were you. Certainly you should NOT have any buyers remorse either.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The Salon2 is a beautifully crafted excellent sounding speaker. You made a great choice and I wouldn't change it if I were you. Certainly you should NOT have any buyers remorse either.
I don't have any remorse at all, the Salon 2 continues to amaze me even after two years, but I'm always looking around for something better, and I'm not in any way brand-loyal or defensive of whatever decisions I made in the past.

The Salon 2 impressed me recently by reproducing my wife's rock & roll drum kit very realistically. See this thread. (Mick Fleetwood uses essentially the same kit.) But I can't help wondering, would the 8T sound even better overall? I suspect it would, due to better dynamic capabilities, so the Salons haven't taken me off the market.

One issue for me in purchasing would be that I don't think the 8T would fit in my room with proper positioning. The 8T looks like it needs *a lot* of space. I'm not sure why, but I'd also be reluctant to buy a speaker that needed four people to set it up. :) I used professional movers to unpack and initially set up the Salon 2s (the dealer wasn't local), so perhaps I'm just being silly, but the 8T seems to take serious set up considerations to the level of the YG Anat.

And I have to admit that I'd be concerned that the 8T would almost have to be considered a "final purchase", because I suspect the secondary market for it will be essentially non-existent for an individual, meaning I couldn't sell it myself. Technology does move on, even for speakers in this class, so resale is a consideration. Best case scenario with selling highly marketed high-end speakers is that you take a 30-50% haircut from your new purchase price (not MSRP) when you resell, but I suspect the only practical way to trade-out the 8T will be a dealer trade or take a 75% haircut and sell it to one of the high-end middlemen that specialize in this sort of thing.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
If I'm not mistaken, I thought Gene had these speakers on loan for testing, but I could be wrong.

jinjuku

jinjuku

This does seem to be a common occurrence on AH anytime you review an expensive component or speaker. I remember the phenomenon distinctly in the discussions of the reviews of the Velodyne DD15+ and DD18+ subs. Oh look, you can have two or three or four of these subs instead...

It does make you want to DIY clone one though :)

jinjuku

jinjuku

If you can clone that cabinetry you're pretty damned good, or have CNC capabilities at your disposal. :)
Six Peerless 830452 10" Subs, Zaph ZAW1408 with SB Acoustics SB29 Neo Tweeter in an MMTMM array. DEQX for Active Crossover and 8 channels of Crown.

Makes it sound like I have all the parts picked out. Or something ;)

And there is a guy with CNC that I know from over on AVSForum.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis