Starting from scratch... (recommendations)

P

Push

Audioholic
I've posted in a couple places with some basic questions, and just decided to bring it back to one thread in one place, cause I'm an old man and easily overwhelmed :)

Building a pretty basic 2 channel system (or 2.1), strictly for listening to vinyl at low to moderate volumes.

I've decided to go with the Rega Planar 3 table (thanks Mikado). But the rest is wide open.

My area is small, about 12 x 14. I sit about 10 feet from the speakers.

Amplifiers I haven't even really dug into, although Rega has a couple interesting small units with MM preamp inputs. Since I've decided to go with the Rega table, I can't help but think they'd pair well together. I don't need huge power. My loud listening days are over. I'm also considering tube amps, although my budget will need to extend out considerably for that.

Speakers are another thing. Originally planned on bookshelf units, however after looking at my room more, I realized I have room for floorstanding units, as long as they're no more than 10 inches wide. I can probably squeeze 11 inches. I'm not concerned with massive amounts of bass. I want clarity with no harshness, especially in the mid range. I listen to all types of music, except hip hop. Blues and 80s Rock are mostly what I listen to, however I never know what kick I'll get into in a week from now.

Budget is around $5K Cdn, but I'm willing to go up from there if it'll get me something I'm really going to enjoy.

Thanks in advance :)

Rod

Last edited:
mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
If you do go with the Rega Planar, you would be crazy not to audition a Rega Amp. Have a chat with your dealer, get him to demo the Rega gear and also let him suggest speakers. Just remember what sounds OK at the dealers may not sound the same in your room. Ask if he will allow a home demo.

P

Push

Audioholic
If you do go with the Rega Planar, you would be crazy not to audition a Rega Amp. Have a chat with your dealer, get him to demo the Rega gear and also let him suggest speakers. Just remember what sounds OK at the dealers may not sound the same in your room. Ask if he will allow a home demo.
Unfortunately the closest dealer is 4 hours away. So its online for me and buying from places with good return policies.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
It's fun spending other people's money. ;) $5k should be a healthy budget for amp and speakers. Don't concern yourself with "matching" the amp and turntable or speakers. All amps have a very flat frequency response so look at features. Do you like to listen with no EQ applied or do you want bass and treble controls? Do you need both MC and MM phono inputs or just sticking to one cartridge? Amplifier power will depend on speaker sensitivity so you want a certain minimum power. Some tube amps are underpowered unless you have very sensitive speakers and they can be overpriced. Tube amps can look nice but don't provide any real benefit in my view. I would stick with solid state and put your money in the speakers where it really counts. Even if you get towers, I would try and get an amp with subwoofer out. You could start with towers and if the bottom end is lacking you could always add a sub down the road, but you want an amp with subwoofer integration if possible. When you get into integrated amps instead of video receivers many do not have sub out unfortunately.

Here's a sampling of what's available on Gibbys for integrated amps. You could spend $500 to $2k depending on features and power. Something like the Denon PMA-800NE might be a nice place to start but the Denon and Marantz amps seem to lack subwoofer outs. Some of the NAD amps have that feature. If the amp lacks phono inputs there are lots of good phono pre-amps out there as well. If you like the compact Rega amp I could look around for some other compact integrated amps as well.

ElectronicsForLess is a good place to look around for on-line sales and they can have decent prices. Have a look at Crutchfield as well. Some speaker brands are not available through the big internet retailers though.

For towers in Canada, I would be looking at Paradigm, Focal, Monitor Audio, KEF. Maybe Klipsch as well if you like their horns. I looked around the $4k area.

Paradigm Premier 800F is under $3k. The 800F is 9 1/8" wide and is well reviewed for offering good value for the money. The Founder 80F is $4500 and their newest line. The 80F cabinet is under 9" but it has outriggers that are 11.7" wide. (Also take into account if you need to toe-in the speakers, which takes up more width.) The 80F uses a mid-woofer while the bigger 100F uses a discrete mid but the price jumps to $6500 retail.

Focal Chora 826 is around $3k. (Note that there is a D version with ATMOS speakers on top). The next line up is the Aria series, but the 926 is $6k new. I almost bought a pair of B-stock Aria 936 last year. Really nice speakers.

Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G is around $3800 and 9" wide (but 12.5" with the outriggers). The Silver 300 7G is around $3100 and is smaller (under 11" with the outriggers). Their Gold and Platinum lines are expensive but the Silvers yield good value for the dollar.

KEF R5 is around $4200 and the R7 $6k. Uses their Uni-Q concentric mid and tweeter. These were on my list and I considered a used R11 last year as well.

If you like a more traditional speaker design the KLH Model Five is around $3k and well regarded.

Polk Audio Reserve series is another to consider that is underrated. About $3k for the R700.

Those are retail prices, so you have some negotiating room. If you are near the GTA there are some dealers that offer B-stock and demos at a discount. You should also have a look on CanuckAudioMart if you want to consider used. I found the KEF R11s for under $5k. You can search by province if shipping is an issue and you want to see what's local.

Last edited:
P

Push

Audioholic
It's fun spending other people's money. ;)
Right? lmao

Hey thanks for the additional units to check out. And most especially thanks for the Gibbys and the electronics for less websites. I had no idea either place existed. Crutchfield.ca seems a little pricy on most things, compared with Amazon.

As for the amp, I am trying to keep things small and tight. I do have room for a full sized amp, but would really rather not use that space if I can get away with it. NAD has a couple interesting units, but again no sub out. I saw some mid-sized units on Crutchfield that I'm going to look closer at.

In the meantime, my curiosity was KILLING me, so I ordered the Loxjie A10 from Amazon. I'm sure it'll be a piece of junk, but I just had to see for myself. I can put it down in my workshop with a couple old speakers I have buried away and then I'll have something a little louder than the $4 bluetooth speaker thats in there.

Rod

P

Push

Audioholic
As I peruse some of the used listings (the cheapskate in me made me do it), I see alot of the old names I'm familiar with pop up. Stuff that was very good in its day. Have loudspeakers come a long way in the last 20 years or is it marketing hype?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Some of those little class D amps can actually be pretty good but that A10 case does look gimmicky. ;) Topping makes a really nice compact amp that was reviewed on Audio Science Review:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-pa5-review-amplifier.28512/

You should check out AliExpress for all of the little amps coming out of China, including tube amps. I've been tempted as well to try some out of curiosity.

While there are some good speakers from 20 or 30 years ago you have to watch for the condition of the woofer surrounds or whether they have old electrolytic caps that may need replacing. I look at those old speakers as more of a fun project rather than a serious upgrade. Here's my thread on restoring an old pair or KEF 103.2 that someone gave me. There have definitely been some advancements in speaker design over the last 20 years. Hard to say how much of an improvement there has been when looking at top speaker lines, but the big improvement I think is in the lower and mid range lines. You can get really nice sounding speakers for a lot less. You also have to bear in mind that there is a real nostalgia craze on right now and vintage stuff is way over priced. JBL Century 100s from 1978 for $3500? No thanks.

A few listings jump out at me on CanuckAudioMart right now. These Revel Performa F52 in SK would be over 10 years old but I bet they sound pretty good. They were US$7k at the time. Sonus Faber Liuto in BC is also nice. Sonus Faber Cremona M for $6k if you want to go whole hog. :) Also spotted a pair of KEF R11 in ON and Focal Aria 936 in QC. Tough part is finding something within driving distance if you want to hear them first.

P

Push

Audioholic
Some of those little class D amps can actually be pretty good but that A10 case does look gimmicky.
And thats exactly why it drew my attention lol. My tastes run very much to the ecclectic. Its gonna sound like crap I'm sure, but I've spent more money in alot worse places in my life.

You should check out AliExpress for all of the little amps coming out of China, including tube amps. I've been tempted as well to try some out of curiosity.
Weird. I haven't been on AliExpress for a few years now, but the last time I was, you had to buy in bulk. That appears to have changed now. I used to buy bulk LED lights from there. I have some fleet customers that needed them by the dozens, and weren't willing to pay for good ones.

A few listings jump out at me on CanuckAudioMart right now. These Revel Performa F52 in SK would be over 10 years old but I bet they sound pretty good. They were US$7k at the time. Sonus Faber Liuto in BC is also nice. Sonus Faber Cremona M for $6k if you want to go whole hog. :) Also spotted a pair of KEF R11 in ON and Focal Aria 936 in QC. Tough part is finding something within driving distance if you want to hear them first.
So just out of curiosity, I went on Facebook Marketplace and did some snooping. I scooped up a pair of Paradigm Atom SE bookshelf speakers for 50 bucks lmao. They aren't what I want, but they will sound better than what I'm doing right now, and when I find what I want, I'll have a place for them somewhere. My youngest is off to University in a couple years, I'll send them with him or resell or........

Rod

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
James really liked the value proposition of the Paradigm Premiers. I wonder how they compare to these, also pretty solid value/performance champs that would leave a couple grand left over for the rest of the kit...

The used market is indeed tempting

P

Push

Audioholic
James really liked the value proposition of the Paradigm Premiers. I wonder how they compare to these, also pretty solid value/performance champs that would leave a couple grand left over for the rest of the kit...

The used market is indeed tempting
Hmmmm, why does that name sound so familiar? Perhaps one of my friends had a set many moons ago. Thanks for the link, I'll put those onto the growing list. I'm gonna be busy returning stuff.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Hmmmm, why does that name sound so familiar? Perhaps one of my friends had a set many moons ago. Thanks for the link, I'll put those onto the growing list. I'm gonna be busy returning stuff.
No Salk dealers in Canada and it's rather rare to see them listed in the used market but I have on occasion. If you're close to the border there might be a U.S. dealer not too far away. Definitely worth looking into if you can find a pair. I've been tempted to drive to Salk's shop in Michigan as it's not too far from SW Ontario. If you like a neutral speaker, Salks measure very flat and his finishes are top notch. I especially like the Song towers with the RAAL ribbon tweeter. $3700 US in black or white and $4k US for a wood veneer finish. Top notch speakers for the money.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
No Salk dealers in Canada and it's rather rare to see them listed in the used market but I have on occasion. If you're close to the border there might be a U.S. dealer not too far away. Definitely worth looking into if you can find a pair. I've been tempted to drive to Salk's shop in Michigan as it's not too far from SW Ontario. If you like a neutral speaker, Salks measure very flat and his finishes are top notch. I especially like the Song towers with the RAAL ribbon tweeter. $3700 US in black or white and $4k US for a wood veneer finish. Top notch speakers for the money.
I agree. Salk is a world class company with world class sound. Great finnishes too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
I vote for Kef R5 - for their concentric drivers. Anything with well controlled dispersion.

P

Push

Audioholic
Well I found out that I'm going to have to head to the big city in a week, and a place that I used to deal with still has their doors open. I called just to see what they had going on and talked to a salesman who remembered me from all those days ago. Long story, short, when I head into the city I'll be auditioning a couple amps (Yamaha A-S801, Anthem STR). Since my Rega has now been delayed and I can cancel, he's convinced me to listen to a couple Pro-Jects they have in stock (Carbon EVO, X1). He's also going to sit me in front of a few different Paradigm floorstanders. They still offer the same old "take it home, try it out, bring it back if you hate it" policy.

For what I'm trying to do, and the loudspeakers I'm liable to end up with, I feel the Anthem is pretty obvious overkill. But I can't help myself. I have to have a listen.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Well I found out that I'm going to have to head to the big city in a week, and a place that I used to deal with still has their doors open. I called just to see what they had going on and talked to a salesman who remembered me from all those days ago. Long story, short, when I head into the city I'll be auditioning a couple amps (Yamaha A-S801, Anthem STR). Since my Rega has now been delayed and I can cancel, he's convinced me to listen to a couple Pro-Jects they have in stock (Carbon EVO, X1). He's also going to sit me in front of a few different Paradigm floorstanders. They still offer the same old "take it home, try it out, bring it back if you hate it" policy.

For what I'm trying to do, and the loudspeakers I'm liable to end up with, I feel the Anthem is pretty obvious overkill. But I can't help myself. I have to have a listen.
I have the Carbon EVO. Nice table and compares well to the Rega 2 or 3. Comes with the Ortofon Red and you can replace the stylus with the Blue if preferred. I added the acrylic platter afterwards because it looks nice :) and also resonates less than the steel platter (which is dampened). I just wish it had auto-return but Project just released a fully automatic model.

Hopefully the dealer has both the Paradigm Premiers and Founder 80F and 100F. Founder bookshelves with a sub would sound pretty good too but the 100F could be fine without a sub for music. Please let us know your opinions afterwards.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

That is good enjoy the adventure

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Which cartridge on the Planar 3? Remember that except for the carbon Rega carts don't have replaceable styli. You would have to replace the entire cartridge. That said I'm happy with my Planar 3 with a carbon cart and you can even upgrade to an elliptical stylus upgrade designed by Audio Technica from LP Gear. And Rega tables don't have a VTA adjustment if you want to change carts. Food for thought.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Hey Rod, congrats on the Rega !

Lots of good suggestions here so I might as well throw in my 2 cents........

First, decide on your speakers of choice so as to match a good corresponding amp. Would you consider going used ? Could probably get 10k worth of gear for around your 5k budget !

In so far as amplification, if it were me I'd be looking at integrated ones. I know you mentioned tubes so for the $$ I'm partial to Rogue.....

I've owned several of their products over the years and have been completely satisfied. I admit I'm biased, the owner is a personal friend.

One speaker thought I had passed on to someone else that's worth a look, KLH model 5

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis