speaker selection help

V

Vandy

Enthusiast
ok so I've found myself in an odd place. I have a few speakers in mind that I want to test drive but the place that I used to go to do this shut down. So now the only place near me to test speakers is Best Buy's magnolia. They don't carry the speakers that I want to listen to. So I'm looking for some input.

The speakers I have in mind are in all different price points (nothing over about $1'500 a pair) but all of them I've heard good things about.

The speakers I'm looking at are as follows:

- fluance xlf7

- Polk audio rtia9

- Kef q900 or q700

My current setup:

- Rotel rc-972 preamp

- Carver tfm-15cb amp

- Denon CD player (although looking to get a Rotel CD player in the near future)

- Audio technica at-lp60bk (probably will upgrade this as well, but a little ways down the road)

- Apple airport express for wireless streaming if I'm lazy lol

I am strictly looking for music listening. Not interested in home theater.

Any help, advice, or suggestions would be helpful

Thanks guys

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
It's hard to make a recommendation because everyone's ears are different. I worked in a high end speaker Shop, and what I used to tell my customers is sit down bring your favorite CD and let's listen. Everyone's musical tastes are different as well. Certain music sounds better in certain speakers. I would take a CD you have listend to 1000 times, And demo the speakers, see which ones you like the sound of the best.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Now I'm thinking that you are aware of your amplifiers capabilities and output. Make sure the speakers makes sense with that amp. Meaning the power for those speakers. If I'm remembering correctly I believe that amp is 150w per channel ?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Kef should sound better than the others, but hey some people think bose is the bomb.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
If those are the only ones you want to look at, then I would recommend KEF as well.

L

Leroy Jenkins

Audioholic Intern
Your name is Vandy? I gotta say if that's true you must get Vandersteen's, no question about it mate!;)

The Model 1 is about $1k. But I am sure you could find a used Model 1 and even 2's in your price range. Good luck.

http://vandersteen.com/

V

Vandy

Enthusiast
I'm digging the input guys. I'm definitely not set on the three I'd put on my original post. But I do want to stick with tower speakers. In that realm I definitely invite suggestions. You guys are awesome

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
In the same price range as the Kef Q900 is the Ascend Acoustics Towers. I've had them for two years and really like them. Only issue with them is, you'll need to post on their forum to find someone who let you come over and listen (that's what I did) or order them to try them in your home.

V

Vandy

Enthusiast
Ok. So it sounds like the consensus is that kef is the way to go. But out of curiosity is my budget realistic for good speakers? For instance if I wanted to spend $2000 a pair, does that get me much more, or at this point would I just reach the point of diminishing returns?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Ok. So it sounds like the consensus is that kef is the way to go. But out of curiosity is my budget realistic for good speakers? For instance if I wanted to spend $2000 a pair, does that get me much more, or at this point would I just reach the point of diminishing returns?
As shady mentioned, 2 bookshelf and , since budget permits, one good sub or the Kef q300 from accessories 4 less and a couple of HSU vtf3mk5 should hit your price point

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
As shady mentioned, 2 bookshelf and , since budget permits, one good sub or the Kef q300 from accessories 4 less and a couple of HSU vtf3mk5 should hit your price point
Tower speakers should be much less common then they are. With subs, there is no reason for them in most situations. 90% of the people who have towers would be better off with bookshelf speakers and subs, but of course everyone thinks they are an audio expert, and they have their preconceptions that no subs should be used for two channel, or that somehow towers sound better since they are more expensive, or whatever. They will not be talked out of their presumptions.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I love my KEF R500 floor standing speakers even though I have a reasonable subwoofer because I can switch my receiver to "analog bypass mode" (effectively "direct mode on other brand receivers) and much of the music I listen to will play full range through those speakers. It wouldn't be the same with a great many stand mount/bookshelf speaker.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I agree. I love my RF-7ii's, I wouldn't trade them for anything. I love to crank death metal. I cross my speakers down to 60hz .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis