Speaker maintenance

P

photographer86

Audioholic
Hey everyone? Anyone got some recommendations on keeping speakers in good condition? The surrounds of the drivers? Cabinet and such? Or do not need anything but a wipe down with some distilled water or such. Thanks

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My speakers' best friend.

Swiffer-Duster-Heavy-Duty-Extender-Starter-Kit.png

For replacement dusters I buy these because they're cheaper and work just as well.

3563261_usn.jpg

I have yet to handle my speakers with bare hands, but occasionally I have to wipe dog slobber and nose prints off my cabinets... :confused: For that I use 2 cloths, either chamois or microfiber, 1 dry and 1 damp. I think using distilled water would be fine (no chance of mineral buildup I s'pose), but not necessary. 99% of the time the swiffer is plenty.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I use the swifter too, but if I had gloss finish I would absolutely go get some meguires “gold class” quick detailer. Most will work but I use it on my first gen camaro between washes.
My JBL’s have vinyl wrap so I just dust them although I’ve tried pledge and some other stuff over the years.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I use the swifter too, but if I had gloss finish I would absolutely go get some meguires “gold class” quick detailer. Most will work but I use it on my first gen camaro between washes.
My JBL’s have vinyl wrap so I just dust them although I’ve tried pledge and some other stuff over the years.
So this stuff here? Will that help any dull spots or micro swirls in the finish? My speakers still look great, but up close in the right light at the right angle I can juuuust barely see some swirls and I have a dull spot on one edge where the dogs' tails will sometimes brush against.

*Edit: I meant this stuff here. I fixed the link above too.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
So this stuff here? Will that help any dull spots or micro swirls in the finish? My speakers still look great, but up close in the right light at the right angle I can juuuust barely see some swirls and I have a dull spot on one edge where the dogs' tails will sometimes brush against.
Have you tried these?

sunglasses.jpg

I'll show myself out the door.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

*Edit: I meant this stuff here. I fixed the link above too.
Yeah for sure it will fill swirls and should help with dull spots. The wax might be over the top compared to just quick detailer but I would use them both. Lol.
FWIW im a super freak about polishing stuff. I buff my boat spring and fall, and wax it a couple times a year as well as using “babes boat bright” between uses.
Same with the “heap”. Plastic, aluminum, whatever, I have to polish it lol.
Have you asked Ed what they use? I’d be curious. Just because.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah for sure it will fill swirls and should help with dull spots. The wax might be over the top compared to just quick detailer but I would use them both. Lol.
FWIW im a super freak about polishing stuff. I buff my boat spring and fall, and wax it a couple times a year as well as using “babes boat bright” between uses.
Same with the “heap”. Plastic, aluminum, whatever, I have to polish it lol.
Have you asked Ed what they use? I’d be curious. Just because.
I'll try the detailer first then and no, I haven't asked Ed, but I'm going to now...

Thanks Bill. Thanks for giving me a whole new rabbit hole obsession that's I'm going to OCD the sh!t out of! I'm gonna be all over making them sparkle and shine now... :p

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'll try the detailer firs then and no, I haven't asked Ed, but I'm going to now...

Thanks Bill. Thanks for giving me a whole new rabbit hole obsession that's I'm going to OCD the sh!t out of! I'm gonna be all over making them sparkle and shine now... :p
Lmao! Sorry brother. It’s an affliction I was born with. My hope is that if I share it, my OCDness will lessen.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Lmao! Sorry brother. It’s an affliction I was born with. My hope is that if I share it, my OCDness will lessen.
I never even thought to try anything but plain water. I'm too worried about making something worse. Car wax tho, makes perfect sense. A car gets direct sunlight and gets seen from all angles. I've seen some very pretty, shiny cars.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Have you tried these?
These have the added benefit of ... if you wear them out in public ... people just will not F with you! A good pair of needle-nose pliers, diagonal cutters, torch, regular pliers, and a hacksaw hanging from your belt will help "accessorize" for a complete, finished ensemble!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I never even thought to try anything but plain water. I'm too worried about making something worse. Car wax tho, makes perfect sense. A car gets direct sunlight and gets seen from all angles. I've seen some very pretty, shiny cars.
A car wax probably have additives that works excellent with car lacquer made for a very harsh environment but may very well damage the finish of your speakers. I suggest that you ask the manufacturer of the speakers for what detergent to use.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A car wax probably have additives that works excellent with car lacquer made for a very harsh environment but may very well damage the finish of your speakers. I suggest that you ask the manufacturer of the speakers for what detergent to use.
That's why I haven't tried it yet. Not that I knew that, but it was a concern. I'll talk to SVS on... I guess Tuesday? They might not be open for business this coming Monday.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
A typical polish will have a bit of rubbing compund included. You are essentially micro sanding the finish back to smooth. I would expect it to work well, but you are consuming the paint as you go, so you could feasibly get down to the primer and MDF over time.
I would contact SVS to see what they think. I suspect they use something in the finishing shop to fix a light blemish.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
A typical polish will have a bit of rubbing compund included. You are essentially micro sanding the finish back to smooth. I would expect it to work well, but you are consuming the paint as you go, so you could feasibly get down to the primer and MDF over time.
I would contact SVS to see what they think. I suspect they use something in the finishing shop to fix a light blemish.
I agree for peace of mind he should ask Ed what they use. However, pure carnuba wax will not have ANY abrasives in it. Polish comes in varying degrees of grit for the purpose of removing scratches(which ironically adds scratches).
I wouldn’t hesitate to use either the wax or the detailer. But I’ve been detailing and polishing for almost 30 years and have experience.

P

photographer86

Audioholic
Thanks everyone for the info on the outside. How about the rubber surround of the driver? Just leave it and wipe dust off with micro fiber and water? Just dont want what ever oil is in the rubber surround to dry out.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Also, my hunch is that the finish is a type of epoxy which could probably tolerate a nuclear blast, and probably more robust than paint.
@Ed Mullen, whatchuthink?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks everyone for the info on the outside. How about the rubber surround of the driver? Just leave it and wipe dust off with micro fiber and water? Just dont want what ever oil is in the rubber surround to dry out.
Yeah just water.
But only JUST damp. Not dripping.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The swiffer should work for the surrounds and drivers too unless they've been dusty a while. I hit my speakers (drivers, surrounds and everything) with a swiffer 2 or 3 times a week. Takes me less than a minute just to touch 'em up.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The swiffer should work for the surrounds too unless they've been dusty a while. I hit my speakers (drivers, surrounds and everything) with a swiffer 2 or 3 times a week. Takes me less than a minute just to touch 'em up.
Agreed. I also do all of my electronics with it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis