Speaker Grilles On Or Off: Which Way Sounds Better?

How do you listen to your speakers?

• Grilles On

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Grilles Off

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • What are grilles?

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters
D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
This is a terrific contribution, Dennis! Thank you very much!
I'm glad you liked it. I'm not sure how many others are interested in the technicalities of diffraction effects, but for the record I did take a number of off-axis measurements of the BMR with the grills on. As per your prediction, the dip and peak in the on-axis response between 3 kHz and 6 kHz disappeared off axis, and the various off-axis responses had dips and/or peaks that would tend to counteract the on-axis problems. For example, in the BMR response at 20 degrees off axis shown below (second image),the dip at around 3200 Hz largely disappears, and the peak around 5200 Hz is replaced by a dip of equal magnitude. (BTW, these plots were made using white noise rather than the usual and more precise Praxis test signal and are therefore a little rougher than usual.)

So the theory seems sound. But as noted in my first post, to my ears the BMR's sound on white noise, which is about the most sensitive source material available for detecting differences in speaker timber, was identical at a normal listening position of around 8-10 feet, where off-axis reflections should be easily audible), and nearfield (8") where the dominant sound would be direct and should contain the prominent on-axis dip and peak. My measurements offer an explanation as to why the sound in the far- field would be very similar with the grills on or off, but they can't explain why the BMR grill made no difference in the very near field.

BMR With Grill On Axis.png

BMR With Grill 20 degrees off axis.png

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Always preferred mine on, especially if the woofers were white, but mostly for dust and protection. Was always told that dust was especially bad for foam surrounds, causing the foam to dry out and rot prematurely. Since DIY speakers, I never really thought about it. Although, I did make some facemask grilles for one pair because I did like the looks of the woofers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think mine look better without the grilles. Subs look better with 'em on. I get up so often tho when something deep and loud plays to watch the drivers slamming in and out so I just keep them off too.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Ever since I figured out you could take the grilles off I have had them off. Of course, I don't have cats or small children or obnoxiously inquisitive dogs. I also don't have to deal with the WAF factor because I have my own little room.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Aesthetics rule for me, most speakers look like crap without their grilles :)

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
LOL grilles, you say...

I refused to put my main speakers in storage while the house is up for sale, but we had to make rooms look bare minimum for house showings. I'm sure nobody saw them under the clever disguise!

Attachments

P

ParisB

Audioholic
Personally I always preferred the classier and subtle look of keeping the grilles on. When off, just feels too much like a 20 year old's bachelor pad in most pictures I see of setups. This forum probably has the exception.

arancano

arancano

Audiophyte
My ears don't doubt that my Klipsch Forte IV and Focal 1038be have a veil removed when the grilles come off. To hear is to believe. I was glad to read of technical reasons why this is so.

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
My ears don't doubt that my Klipsch Forte IV and Focal 1038be have a veil removed when the grilles come off. To hear is to believe. I was glad to read of technical reasons why this is so.
I'm not sure what the technical reason for that would be, unless the grill cloth isn't acoustically transparent and some of the highs are getting absorbed. I've never encountered that with any of the grills I've used.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I decided to reactivate Shady's Thread, as is excellent reading. I am going to recalibrate/room correction, all my speakers and see if any difference or not. Even if there isn't, I'll leave the grills off, anyway. ;) There are know instances where children/animals will have access.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I decided to reactivate Shady's Thread, as is excellent reading. I am going to recalibrate/room correction, all my speakers and see if any difference or not. Even if there isn't, I'll leave the grills off, anyway. ;) There are know instances where children/animals will have access.
Trust me accidents happen. The change in sound from a good grill cloth is not noticeable. I don't like the look of the drivers in any case. I think grills on is a much better look.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Trust me accidents happen. The change in sound from a good grill cloth is not noticeable. I don't like the look of the drivers in any case. I think grills on is a much better look.
Agreed I much prefer the way my Infinity P363s and P163s look with the grills on. Don't notice much difference in the sound either.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
So, what is that? A mid or a woofer and what speaker? Just curious.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It's a Seas Excel Driver. Not certain the size as I was just quickly looking for a small photo-file-size I could copy and pastie... :p

It's most likely a mid range Driver though, judging by cone-to-magnet size ratio, so probably in the 4-5" range.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It is a SEAS excel driver with magnesium alloy cone.

5" Graphene cone

7" and 10" magnesium alloy cones with Excel tweeter.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
In my environment and where the speakers are placed, the speakers sound better with the grills off.
Well, in my environment and where the speakers are placed, leaving the Grilles off, gives me a more all-around crisper sound, in my brain. The sound might be a little louder too, but I like them with the grilles removed. I'm happy with my results.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

In my environment and where the speakers are placed, the speakers sound better with the grills off.

Well, in my environment and where the speakers are placed, leaving the Grilles off, gives me a more all-around crisper sound, in my brain. The sound might be a little louder too, but I like them with the grilles removed. I'm happy with my results.
They must be lousy grills then. There should be no audible difference.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
They must be lousy grills then. There should be no audible difference.
My Canton Vento speakers for sure sounds different (worse and lower to my ears) with the grills on, so I've removed them for the fronts ones but left them on for my surrounds that are close to the wall. I'd rather have the grills on for protection, and did so when our child was small.

Looking at the construction of the grills that are MDF plates with holes for the drivers and some acoustically transparent cloth on top.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis