Speaker Grilles On Or Off: Which Way Sounds Better?

How do you listen to your speakers?

• Grilles On

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Grilles Off

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • What are grilles?

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Although I can't hear any difference with grills on or off, that's not what I tell my wife. We wage a silent battle in our house - when her back is turned, I take the grills off. A few days - maybe weeks - later, I'll notice that they're back on. :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Although I can't hear any difference with grills on or off, that's not what I tell my wife. We wage a silent battle in our house - when her back is turned, I take the grills off. A few days - maybe weeks - later, I'll notice that they're back on. :D
Fight the good fight, my friend! You're battling for a noble cause!

A

Altoqur

Audiophyte
Fascinating. A subject I've always wanted to know about. Thanks.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I did a little YouTube video about this topic for those that don't wish to read or just want another perspective:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Grilles off. I think my speakers look sexy!

@gene you managed to get a chuckle out of me looking like the Hamburglar taking your grilles off... lol

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I never had the grills off option on my old DCM Time Windows. These days I just leave the grills on my Infinity Primus 363s and 163s.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I never had the grills off option on my old DCM Time Windows. These days I just leave the grills on my Infinity Primus 363s and 163s.
Infinity Primus has very acoustically transparent grilles. The waterfall plot in the article is a measurement of the difference that the grille makes of an Primus P153. I used that as an example because the grille is pretty good at not interfering with the response, so its a better case example than something that is abnormally bad. Also the speaker is so well-behaved otherwise.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Infinity Primus has very acoustically transparent grilles. The waterfall plot in the article is a measurement of the difference that the grille makes of an Primus P153. I used that as an example because the grille is pretty good at not interfering with the response, so its a better case example than something that is abnormally bad. Also the speaker is so well-behaved otherwise.
Thanks. So leaving them on seems the thing to do.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Paradigm speakers all around so my Grills are on. I’m not that picky either way is fine. I like the look of all my drivers exposed but with cats and a five year old I leave them on.

Besides it’s nice to not add another piece of gear to find storage for when my speakers are designed to have the grill on in the first place.

The grill also keeps the drivers and port from accumulating dust prematurely.

Let’s face it dusting a driver is not a task that makes any of us feel good about especially when the driver can end up scratched or punctured in some way.

Lastly who wants a toy to find its way inside the speaker enclosure through the port that allows little arms to reach inside right!:eek:

image.jpg
image.jpg

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Paradigm speakers all around so my Grills are on. I’m not that picky either way is fine. I like the look of all my drivers exposed but with cats and a five year old I leave them on.

Besides it’s nice to not add another piece of gear to find storage for when my speakers are designed to have the grill on in the first place.

The grill also keeps the drivers and port from accumulating dust prematurely.

Let’s face it dusting a driver is not a task that makes any of us feel good about especially when the driver can end up scratched or punctured in some way.

Lastly who wants a toy to find its way inside the speaker enclosure through the port that allows little arms to reach inside right!:eek:

View attachment 30360View attachment 30360
Now that is hilarious! :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My speakers' best friend.
31SzuWfcZaL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

I confidently clean my speakers using a swiffer. Very soft and dry. Uses static to help pick up the dust so it's not getting dragged across the surface like it would with cloth or something. Highly recommended by me, especially on high gloss finishes!

My speakers are rear ported so the grilles don't help me there.

H

Habu7

Audiophyte
I recently acquired a pair of Mordaunt Short MS906's. Mordaunt Short advise to take the tweeter protection grills (which are very dense) off and leave the main grilles on. That's what I usually do. Sometimes I fancy looking at the drivers and take them off. I don't notice any audible difference with them on or off, it's just a visual preference of the day that makes me leave them on or take them off.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
My first pair of speakers way back in 1974 were a pair of these:
non-removable (unless the rubber gasket around the grill was removed) metal grilles which could become dented and ugly over time.
I think one reason the market (consumer) likes removables is that if they get damaged you could get a replacement.
(the image is not my speaker, it's from an internet search! Mine may have ended up in a landfill and hopefully recycled)

Advent 2_cropped.preview.jpg

Ossidian

Ossidian

Enthusiast
On or off, it won't really affect the sound either way.
Not necessarily as some speakers are specifically designed to be used with grills on.
Some speakers are tuned in terms of the frequency response, but you don't get away from the diffractions caused by the frame or the fact that the fabric doesn't attenuate evenly. In well designed loudspeakers the grille can be an audibly "invisible" factor. For many speakers the most serious issue is the grille frame, not the fabric. Integrating the frame to avoid reflections and diffractions costs money. If that has been done, removing the grill could conceivably degrade the performance.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Not necessarily as some speakers are specifically designed to be used with grills on.
Some speakers are tuned in terms of the frequency response, but you don't get away from the diffractions caused by the frame or the fact that the fabric doesn't attenuate evenly. In well designed loudspeakers the grille can be an audibly "invisible" factor. For many speakers the most serious issue is the grille frame, not the fabric. Integrating the frame to avoid reflections and diffractions costs money. If that has been done, removing the grill could conceivably degrade the performance.
He was talking about the Primus speakers specifically, which I have measured the grille differences, and they have very little effect on the response. Yes, there are some speakers that are intended to be used with grilles and actually perform better with them on.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
He was talking about the Primus speakers specifically, which I have measured the grille differences, and they have very little effect on the response. Yes, there are some speakers that are intended to be used with grilles and actually perform better with them on. [my bold]
Sadly, this particular piece of information is absent from the manufacturers, from what little I know, though.

Ossidian

Ossidian

Enthusiast
Sadly, this particular piece of information is absent from the manufacturers, from what little I know, though.
Agreed. Some do provide information but the vast majority do not.

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
I just got around to reading this thread because it was started when I was out of commission, and I didn't notice it until new posts started up again at the end of July. I assumed the content would be the usual dreary exchanges of subjective opinions, but I was happy to see the thread was actually spawned by one of Shady's excellent articles. This is a subject that has always fascinated me. Why are seemingly significant grill diffraction effects generally not audible, but peaks and dips caused by resonances in the drivers themselves or poor crossover design are readily audible, particularly on pink noise or white noise?

Shady ventures an explanation for the reduced audibility of diffraction effect, noting that diffraction peaks and dips in the reflected sound will differ in frequency depending on the angle of the reflected sound to the speaker. Although not explicitly stated, I assume the theory is that the various differences in the location of the diffraction peaks and dips will tend to cancel each other out, producing a smoother room response than would be suggested by an on-axis anechoic measurement. As Shady notes, an implication of this phenomenon is that diffraction effects should be more audible when listening close to the speaker, since reflected sound will play less of a role in what you hear than when you are in the usual listening position.

All of this is certainly interesting, and I hadn't thought thought of it before. To test the theory out (albeit not rigorously),I played some white noise from my FM tuner through the exact same BMR speaker that Shady used for his Audioholics review and as an illustration of grill effects earlier in his posted article. I've attached my with-and-without-grill measurements to save you the trouble of pulling up the article again. My measurements track Shady's very closely except for small differences in our mic calibrations in the highs. I think we can all agree that if the severe dip and peak in the with-grill measurement also showed up with the grill off, you could probably hear the irregularity and Shady wouldn't have awarded 5 stars to the BMR.

In any event, I enlisted a friend to remove and replace the BMR grill while I listened to white noise about 9 feet from the speaker. ( I kept my eyes closed, but I could hear when the grill was removed and replaced). To my ears, the sound was identical either way. My friend and I switched places, and he couldn't hear any difference either. Then we repeated the experiment listening very close to the speaker, about 8 inches away. The only difference I could hear was when the solid frame of the grill passed in front of the speaker. I'm sure you can fault the design of the experiment, but it was pretty convincing to me, and you can easily replicate the test on your own speakers. I have to conclude that the relative inaudibility of diffraction effects remains something of a mystery.

BMR With Grill.png BMR No Grill.png

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I just got around to reading this thread because it was published when I was out of commission, and I didn't notice it until new posts started up again at the end of July. I assumed the content would be the usual dreary exchanges of subjective opinions, but I was happy to see the thread was actually spawned by one of Shady's excellent articles. This is a subject that has always fascinated me. Why are seemingly significant grill diffraction effects generally not audible, but peaks and dips caused by resonances in the drivers themselves or poor crossover design are readily audible, particularly on pink noise or white noise?

Shady ventures an explanation for the reduced audibility of diffraction effect, noting that diffraction peaks and dips in the reflected sound will differ in frequency depending on the angle of the reflected sound to the speaker. Although not explicitly stated, I assume the theory is that the various differences in the location of the diffraction peaks and dips will tend to cancel each other out, producing a smoother room response than would be suggested by an on-axis anechoic measurement. As Shady notes, an implication of this phenomenon is that diffraction effects should be more audible when listening close to the speaker, since reflected sound will play less of a role in what you hear than when you are in the usual listening position.

All of this is certainly interesting, and I hadn't thought thought of it before. To test the theory out (albeit not rigorously),I played some white noise from my FM tuner through the exact same BMR speaker that Shady used for his Audioholics review and as an illustration of grill effects earlier in his posted article. I've attached my with-and-without-grill measurements to save you the trouble of pulling up the article again. My measurements track Shady's very closely except for small differences in our mic calibrations in the highs. I think we can all agree that if the severe dip and peak in the with-grill measurement also showed up with the grill off, you could probably hear the irregularity and Shady wouldn't have awarded 5 stars to the BMR.

In any event, I enlisted a friend to remove and replace the BMR grill while I listened to white noise about 9 feet from the speaker. ( I kept my eyes closed, but I could hear when the grill was removed and replaced). To my ears, the sound was identical either way. My friend and I switched places, and he couldn't hear any difference either. Then we repeated the experiment listening very close to the speaker, about 8 inches away. The only difference I could hear was when the solid frame of the grill passed in front of the speaker. I'm sure you can fault the design of the experiment, but it was pretty convincing to me, and you can easily replicate the test on your own speakers. I have to conclude that the relative inaudibility of diffraction effects remains something of a mystery.

View attachment 30890 View attachment 30891
This is a terrific contribution, Dennis! Thank you very much!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis