M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I’m not seeing any RBH at stereo dealers anywhere near me. I was hoping to hear them out in person. Are they only to be bought online?
Not sure where you are, but AcuDefTechGuy in Oklahoma City has them. I'm planning to give the RBH a listen there in Oct.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I’m in Chicago Illinois. Yes I tried the dealer locator, but no luck. I’m still looking.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I will put in a for the cantons. I have the Vento 890.2. Got them from accessories 4less. Very nice. Build quality is as good as I have ever seen. I have the cherry finish and are nicer than any furniture I have ever owned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
What type of music are you listening to? What other speakers have you compared to before purchasing your Canton Vento 890.2. And what didn’t you like about the speakers you didn’t get.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I listen to country, rock, rap, bpm, blues. I have a owned Martin Logan, MB Quart, Swans, Carnegie Acoustic. I have listened to most of the magnolia stuff at Best Buy, also paradigm sig series and a few others. I rolled the dice on these though without listening. You can beat the price to performance ratio imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
After you bought your Canton, do you still have any of your other speakers that you kept? Or did you sell them off. All the speakers above look nice. The stereo dealer near me has the klipsch heritage series Lascala to for over half off, however I don’t feel they are the ones for me. They look to out of place with all my new furniture. So far my choice of speakers are Focal Aria 948 or possibly 1038be, RBH SV tower of power, Canton Vento 890.2,

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a old Pioneer SX 1080 reciever hooked up to a pair of JBL S-310II. I started rebuilding a new sound system for my music and movies in my finished basement. So, I put the old reciever aside, ( not sure what to do with it, But never will part with it). Now I purchased an Onkyo TX RZ 1100, Focal Chorus CC 700 for center, and JL Audio E112 sub. Using old JBL for fronts. I have a 3.1 setup for now. Speaker wires are in pvc conduit for future sides and rear speakers. I use the old Pioneer phono player now through new reciever using a phono stage plugged into CD input. My question is, will Focal Kanta No. 2 speakers work well with Onkyo reciever? Any comments on what i can do to build a great sound system, would be cool. I don’t have the experience to know which to buy and why. Just love to crank my music.
Make sure the jacket on the speaker wire (and any other wire in the conduit) isn't also PVC- communication cable can affect PVC pipe- is your conduit the grey PVC (also called CPVC)? If so, you should be OK. Don't use white PVC and don't let communication cabling come into contact with PVC plumbing pipe.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Cool, i listen to the focals at a stereo dealer alot. I can’t seem to get them off my mind. I originally was going to purchase the Focal aria 948. Then the sales guy said I should maybe go with the Aria 936, which has 3 6 inch bass that would be better in a bass response since i have a subwoofer. But i want to hear my records in pure audio only. The Kanta is out of my price range, but they will knock off 3 k for the demo pair. Hmmm. Now i’m thinking about biting the bullet and getting kanta 2. Is it recommended to get an amp with your focals?
The sound in the demo room is great, but it means nothing if they don't sound good at home- see if they'll do an in-home demo or let you have some time to evaluate the speakers you buy. They won't want to do this with a new set that's still in boxes because they'll end up with a pair of used speakers if you don't buy them, but they could bring the demo pair.

DO NOT expect any speakers to sound good in the place where your existing speakers are positioned- they won't, unless by coincidence.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Yes. I do like the RBH SX-T2 (SX-T1/SX-1010) and SVT Towers (SV-831/SV-1212) better than all the other speakers I've owned and auditioned.
better than the Revel Salon II's ??? Wow, that's surprising !!

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
That is funny. :)
When I was having my coffee this morning, reading about the pvc conduit, I almost spit it out all over my floor laughing.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
better than the Revel Salon II's ??? Wow, that's surprising !!
No surprises.

Yep. Better than Revel Salon2, B&W 800, etc.

That’s me.

Everyone needs to have his own journey and find his own speaker “identity”.

Definitely don’t take anyone’s word 100% (including mine :D) without hearing the speakers for yourself over a long period of time, not a few minutes or hours.

Bottom line, everyone is different, and if you find speakers that you feel sound better than the best speakers you’ve heard, then that’s your speakers.

No surprises.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
No surprises.

Yep. Better than Revel Salon2, B&W 800, etc.

That’s me.

Everyone needs to have his own journey and find his own speaker “identity”.

Definitely don’t take anyone’s word 100% (including mine :D) without hearing the speakers for yourself over a long period of time, not a few minutes or hours.

Bottom line, everyone is different, and if you find speakers that you feel sound better than the best speakers you’ve heard, then that’s your speakers.

No surprises.
what were using for amplification ?

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I have been reviewing RBH all week. I like the SV-831/SV-1212. However, not sure which SV-1212 to choose from. Are the powered subs with amps better than picking out an amp for passive subs? Also, you say SV-1212 NR is overkill, explain why. My room is 16’ x 35’.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have been reviewing RBH all week. I like the SV-831/SV-1212. However, not sure which SV-1212 to choose from. Are the powered subs with amps better than picking out an amp for passive subs? Also, you say SV-1212 NR is overkill, explain why. My room is 16’ x 35’.
I have used EXTERNALLY powered subs since I started this hobby. The reason is reliability.

There is a good reason why companies often give the sub amps a 1-2 year warranty, but give the subwoofer itself 5-10 year warranty.

With externally powered subs, you can really use just about any amp on the market. Heck if you have a Mark Levinson or Krell amp, you could even use that to power these subs.

I've used my ATI AT3005 amp to power the RBH subs. You can use any amps.

As far as the 1212NR being overkill? I think it's more about being willing to pay the extra price. My very open living room (no walls to the Foyer, Formal Dining, Kitchen) is just fine with the 1212N. But going back in time, I probably would have gotten the 1212NR just because. So I think it's more about willing to pay the price.

There is no such thing as overkill on Audioholics. :D

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
[QUOTE="AcuDefTechGuy, post: 1273141, member: 26997". There is no such thing as overkill on Audioholics. :D

[/QUOTE]
Amen.
Overkill? No such thing

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis