Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Thank you for the PSA tip. I checked out the MTM-210T speakers, they are very interesting. Have any regrets on owning PSA.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
None. They sound phenomenal. They arent the prettiest available but i think they look mean. I ended up putting them behind an at screen so u cant see em anyways. But they are definately my favorite aspect of my entire system. They have the widest sound stage ive ever heard from a speaker. I can turn off my center and trick people into thinking its still on. The company was founded by a guy who worked for svs.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Cool, I’m glad to find out about PSA. I like the idea of the price.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Cool, i listen to the focals at a stereo dealer alot. I can’t seem to get them off my mind. I originally was going to purchase the Focal aria 948. Then the sales guy said I should maybe go with the Aria 936, which has 3 6 inch bass that would be better in a bass response since i have a subwoofer. But i want to hear my records in pure audio only. The Kanta is out of my price range, but they will knock off 3 k for the demo pair. Hmmm. Now i’m thinking about biting the bullet and getting kanta 2. Is it recommended to get an amp with your focals?
If you're wanting to listen in Pure Audio without the sub, and want to get some decently deep bass, both the 936 and 948 have more bass driver radiating area than the Kanta No2. I know the Kanta No2 is supposed to have good bass, but two 6.5" woofers are not generally known to produce it.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
There is a sale on Focal 1038be, But the stereo store that i go to does not have that one for me to listen to.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Forget the technical stuff about speakers, I just want to hear everyone’s opinion on why they bought their speakers, what type of music you play and how you compared your speakers personality to other speakers you auditioned. Like wine of the veins says. Price range up to 10k.
I think many guys will end up buying a lot of speakers before finding that "identity".

Music I listen to: Rock (Eagles, Cars, Police, etc.),Pop (A-Ha, Eurythmics, etc.),Folk, Classical (Mozart, Beethoven, etc.).

Speakers I've owned (can’t recall all models): Revel Salon2, B&W 802D2, KEF 201/2, Linkwitz Orion 3.2.1, Philharmonic 3, Focal, Dynaudio, ATC, TAD, NHT, DefTech BP7000SC.

IDENTITY CRISIS: :eek: :D

Current speakers: RBH SX-T2/R Towers, RBH SVT Towers.
Identity Found:

My “Identity”: Modular Tower Speakers that are accurate and dynamic - Towers of Power.

Last edited:
M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I think many guys will end up buying a lot of speakers before finding that "identity".

Music I listen to: Rock (Eagles, Cars, Police, etc.),Pop (A-Ha, Eurythmics, etc.),Folk, Classical (Mozart, Beethoven, etc.).

Speakers I've owned (can’t recall all models): Revel Salon2, B&W 802D2, KEF 201/2, Linkwitz Orion 3.2.1, Philharmonic 3, Focal, Dynaudio, ATC, TAD, NHT, DefTech BP7000SC.

Current speakers: RBH SX-T2/R Towers, RBH SVT Towers.

My “Identity”: Modular Tower Speakers that are accurate and dynamic - Towers of Power.
I looked at the RBH site, and those do not seem to be current models, but the current models are very intriguing for a guy like me with a family room system that has to suffice for both music and movies. I wish they were going to be exhibiting at RMAF.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I looked at the RBH site, and those do not seem to be current models, but the current models are very intriguing for a guy like me with a family room system that has to suffice for both music and movies. I wish they were going to be exhibiting at RMAF.
The SVT Towers (SV831/SV1212) are current (SV series replaced the SX series).

One set of speakers can perform great for every type of sound (music, movies, TV, games).

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m not in the highest price range but I’ve found a very nice speaker in the Canton Vento 820.2 bookshelf I purchased from Accessories for Less. (Kew here recommended it) I use a subwoofer for the low end. They also sell it in a tower version if you have the cash. :)

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I’m not in the highest price range but I’ve found a very nice speaker in the Canton Vento 820.2 bookshelf I purchased from Accessories for Less. (Kew here recommended it) I use a subwoofer for the low end. They also sell it in a tower version if you have the cash. :)
Yes, I've also got my eyes on those Canton 890.2.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
The RBH speakers; do you like them better than the other speakers you owned. Such as the Focals you have or had. I’m looking to see where a RBH dealer is near Chicago Illinois.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The RBH speakers; do you like them better than the other speakers you owned. Such as the Focals you have or had. I’m looking to see where a RBH dealer is near Chicago Illinois.
Yes. I do like the RBH SX-T2 (SX-T1/SX-1010) and SVT Towers (SV-831/SV-1212) better than all the other speakers I've owned and auditioned.

Last edited:
Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
That is cool to hear. Appreciate the tip. Do you have a recommendation for an amp to go with RBH.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I spent 2 hours reading your RBH thread. Awsome Post. Alot of good info.
I guess I wouldn’t need my JL Adio E112 sub if I have a pair of the RBH SV831 with SV1212 for music/HT?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That is cool to hear. Appreciate the tip. Do you have a recommendation for an amp to go with RBH.
They are efficient (92dB/2.83v/m) and will play very loud with little power.

For the midrange and treble, pretty much any 100-200 WPC amp will do. Even my 125WPC and 150WPC AVRs can easily power the top portion of the tower (SV-831).

For my older SX-T2 towers, I use the ATI amps. So the ATI amps would definitely work for the SVT towers. Also the Monolith or Outlaw 200 WPC amps.

For the SV-1212 cabinet, I would get the RBH SA-500DSP (this is what I use) or a similar amps with 500W (like the Crown XLS amps).

Now if you were to upgrade to the SV-1212N/R (Reference), then you could get higher power amps (like 1,000 - 2,000 Watts), but I think that's overkill personally. :D

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Thanks for all the suggestions. Especially the PSA, JTR, RBH and Canton’s. I spent the last couple of days reviewing all the above, Each one sounds like a winner for their price range. I like the RBH.
I’m not a tech guy. I always thought the cone was best in paper material unlike the aluminum cone on the RBA’s. I thought the flax cone on the newer Focals was the newest best sound?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for all the suggestions. Especially the PSA, JTR, RBH and Canton’s. I spent the last couple of days reviewing all the above, Each one sounds like a winner for their price range. I like the RBH.
I’m not a tech guy. I always thought the cone was best in paper material unlike the aluminum cone on the RBA’s. I thought the flax cone on the newer Focals was the newest best sound?
The salient thing about the speaker is the overall design/ implementation/ technology, not the driver materials (paper, flax-fiberglass, aluminum, titanium, magnesium, beryllium, silk, diamond, etc.).

Paper and plastic materials are usually the cheapest materials and are usually used in lower-end models. I doubt you'll see anyone use paper drivers in high-end speakers.

I've heard speakers made with different driver materials (Aluminum, Titanium, Magnesium, Beryllium, Silk, and synthetic Diamond. I believe the overall design/ implementation/ technology is more important than the individual parts (driver material).

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I’m not seeing any RBH at stereo dealers anywhere near me. I was hoping to hear them out in person. Are they only to be bought online?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis