Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I’ve been checking out 2 different pairs of tower speakers. Heard them both. Like both. Any comments?

Focal Kanta No. 2
Or
Tekton Double Impact

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I’ve been checking out 2 different pairs of tower speakers. Heard them both. Like both. Any comments?

Focal Kanta No. 2
Or
Tekton Double Impact
Got to say I'm a little concerned about the lobing effects of those tweeter arrays on the Tektons. Sitting in any position other than the sweet spot, I think you'd suffer more cancellations and modes than a pair of speakers with single tweeters, and I think early reflections will suffer likewise. Did you get a chance to evaluate them off-axis, or did you sit in the sweet spot only? How thorough was the acoustic treatment in your demo environment? Will your home have similar acoustic absorption?

Between the two, I'd probably be more apt to choose the Focals. Hey, similar price neighborhood, have you considered the Philharmonic 3s?

Last edited:
Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I listened to the Focal several times from all angles. Loved it. It was set up for me at a small stereo store. Made my decision to own them soon. Just being patient. Then my neighbor bought a pair of Tekton last week and i listen to them for 2 hours and thought they sounded better than my old JBL’s, but still believe In the quality in the Focal’s. I have not heard the Philharmonics yet. Don’t know where or who sells them in my area.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I listened to the Focal several times from all angles. Loved it. It was set up for me at a small stereo store. Made my decision to own them soon. Just being patient. Then my neighbor bought a pair of Tekton last week and i listen to them for 2 hours and thought they sounded better than my old JBL’s, but still believe In the quality in the Focal’s. I have not heard the Philharmonics yet. Don’t know where or who sells them in my area.
They are sold ID out of D.C. area!
Designed by Dennis Murphy who also is responsible for the design of most (I think all at this point, but am not certain) of the speakers sold by Salk!
What area are you in? There may be someone near by willing to let you come check them out!
I think everything Dennis makes under the Philharmonic Audio name is a great value if you are after a neutral, accurate sound!
http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/phil3.html

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Got to say I'm a little concerned about the lobing effects of those tweeter arrays on the Tektons. Sitting in any position other than the sweet spot, I think you'd suffer more cancellations and modes than a pair of speakers with single tweeters, and I think early reflections will suffer likewise. Did you get a chance to evaluate them off-axis, or did you sit in the sweet spot only? How thorough was the acoustic treatment in your demo environment? Will your home have similar acoustic absorption?

Between the two, I'd probably be more apt to choose the Focals. Hey, similar price neighborhood, have you considered the Philharmonic 3s?
If it was me I'd also opt for the Focals, not that that means much, but to my big surprise JA wrote he didn't find all those expected flaws in Tektons. He said he was expecting them as well, but couldn't really hear them. I didn't get the feeling he is very enthusiastic about these speakers, but even this was a surprise for me.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
If it was me I'd also opt for the Focals, not that that means much, but to my big surprise JA wrote he didn't find all those expected flaws in Tektons. He said he was expecting them as well, but couldn't really hear them. I didn't get the feeling he is very enthusiastic about these speakers, but even this was a surprise for me.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Thank you for the reply. I checked out the Philharmonic Audio speakers. They definitely look odd. I’m sure they sound good. I like hearing positive replies about Focal Kanta No. 2. Just hope their worth the money. The stereo store has the demo speakers for 3K less than new price. Possibly purchasing them.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I’m from suburbs N.W. of chicago. Checking to see who sells Philharmonics Audio.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It is a pretty tough task to choose between speakers without actually getting them together in the same room. Even then, once you reach a certain level of performance, I really like to spend a week listening to a wide array of music before making a final call!
Good luck with your decision!

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Thank you, I am looking to own a pair soon that I won’t regret. I’m sure it won’t be the last set I purchase, cause I Love good music and the stuff that plays it. Every time I look at audio , there is too much to choose from. I discovered Audioholics after I purchased an Onkyo reciever to update my sound system. I bought an open box Focal Chorus center speaker half off, then i learned through Audioholics to match center with fronts. So i started to like Focal Chorus 926, then Aria 948, now its the Kanta 2. I’m still learning as i read all of your post. What I know now is i would have purchased a different receiver with a nice amplifier to go with it. Thanks to all for the post helps me to build a better sound system for my recent finished 16 x 35 basement. My options for a pair of speakers are still open. Not in a hurry to get them. Still have old tired jbl’s to keep me company.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I have a old Pioneer SX 1080 reciever hooked up to a pair of JBL S-310II. I started rebuilding a new sound system for my music and movies in my finished basement. So, I put the old reciever aside, ( not sure what to do with it, But never will part with it). Now I purchased an Onkyo TX RZ 1100, Focal Chorus CC 700 for center, and JL Audio E112 sub. Using old JBL for fronts. I have a 3.1 setup for now. Speaker wires are in pvc conduit for future sides and rear speakers. I use the old Pioneer phono player now through new reciever using a phono stage plugged into CD input. My question is, will Focal Kanta No. 2 speakers work well with Onkyo reciever? Any comments on what i can do to build a great sound system, would be cool. I don’t have the experience to know which to buy and why. Just love to crank my music.

WineOfTheVeins

WineOfTheVeins

Audioholic
Of all the high end speakers I listened to before buying, B&W, Focal, Paradigm, etc I loved Focal the best. They look gorgeous, are very well crafted, and most importantly sound creamy smooth.

Sincerely, Focal owner. :p

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Cool, i listen to the focals at a stereo dealer alot. I can’t seem to get them off my mind. I originally was going to purchase the Focal aria 948. Then the sales guy said I should maybe go with the Aria 936, which has 3 6 inch bass that would be better in a bass response since i have a subwoofer. But i want to hear my records in pure audio only. The Kanta is out of my price range, but they will knock off 3 k for the demo pair. Hmmm. Now i’m thinking about biting the bullet and getting kanta 2. Is it recommended to get an amp with your focals?

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I took KEW’s advice and listened to several speakers today at a stereo store. Started with Focal speakers again, then heard the Klipsch Heritage Series La Scala II. Both are very nice. Any comments on Klipsch.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I don’t know how you guys do it, picking a pair of speakers out of all the choices. Just spent two hours listening to focal area 936 and klipsch heritage series La Scala II again. The La Scala II sounds Very natural. They don’t have any other Focals to compare to the Aria 936. They sold the Focal Kanta 2 floor model for 7K. Any Klipsch Heritage fans out there?

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Forget the technical stuff about speakers, I just want to hear everyone’s opinion on why they bought their speakers, what type of music you play and how you compared your speakers personality to other speakers you auditioned. Like wine of the veins says. Price range up to 10k.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I bought psa speakers for the front 3, 2400ish because someone said they sounded amazing and at the time i had height constraints. I took a chance and ordered. The svs subs i ordered cause the looked cool lol. The atmos in ceiling polks i bought cause i already had some and thought they sounded good.

Idk. I think with a bidget like yours it will be hard to be disapointed. In this hobby more expensive generally means better.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I like to crank my music pretty loud when no one is home but me. Old JBL’s sounds undynamic. I’m more into classic rock and blues. My seating area is 14’ from fronts, as well as pub table is 20-24’ away. I’m checking out the psa speaker now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis