Sound bar woe - need help finding what i need!

R

rufio90210

Enthusiast
Glancing at the manual, it looks like LG stuck it under an area called volume mode, and they call it volume increase amount. Unfortunately, I can’t tell if they mean if that feature is only available for the internal speakers since their manual is absolute garbage.
Yep it does have that but not work how you would expect and only for internal tv speakers not soundbars.

Its quite horrible as you can hear the volume of someone speaking increasing and decreasing as the auto volume decides what level to play it at

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Yep it does have that but not work how you would expect and only for internal tv speakers not soundbars.

Its quite horrible as you can hear the volume of someone speaking increasing and decreasing as the auto volume decides what level to play it at
It is more than quite horrible, if you ask me.

You could try disable the "Artificial intelligence" in LG settings to see if that helps. I've an LG OLED myself but all of that is disabled with TV sound going to my AVR using ARC.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Sorry whats AVR?

So i have an LG CX OLED - are you saying that the issue I am facing is actually to how the tv is transmitting the sound data? And the TV does not allow me to alter any sound settings when the soundbar is in use so there is nothing i can do about it?

I'm not very techy so if there is anything i can do to get dynamic range compression from my tv i need to know a product or means to change setting.
That is true. An AVR is an audio video receiver, but it is overkill to drive a sound bar. AVRs have dynamic compressors in various modes. TVs do not have dynamic compressors. The streams have high dynamic range, otherwise those of us with powerful HTs would be upset, since our systems can handle high dynamic range.

There might be a sound bar that has a dynamic compressor, but I don't follow that market. I know of no dynamic compressor that would interface between a TV and a sound bar.

If you really enjoy movie watching in the home, then investing in an AVR and some good smaller speakers and a small sub, would be a worthwhile, but not inconsiderable investment.

Sound bars are really just for watching news, and talk programs, and assume if you want to watch a movie you go to the cinema.

The fundamental decision facing you, is if your really want an improved home cinema experience? If the answer is yes, then you have to walk the walk,and pay the piper.

That is an individual decision for us all. All will have different expectations and means. But us our home theater brings us untold pleasures, as do our other two systems. If you own your home, then a neat in wall solution is possible. Our great room system takes up zero floor space. If you are a renter , then I understand your options are much more limited, in terms of elegant design minimizing use of floor space. Not being a techie, does not have to be a handicap, if you are willing to learn.

It seems to me you are looking for a better home entertainment experience, but you have some fundamental goals to set and decisions to make.

I know this is all easy for me to say, as I enjoy the challenge of elegant design, and the thrill of the build out.

R

rufio90210

Enthusiast
That is true. An AVR is an audio video receiver, but it is overkill to drive a sound bar. AVRs have dynamic compressors in various modes. TVs do not have dynamic compressors. The streams have high dynamic range, otherwise those of us with powerful HTs would be upset, since our systems can handle high dynamic range.

There might be a sound bar that has a dynamic compressor, but I don't follow that market. I know of no dynamic compressor that would interface between a TV and a sound bar.

If you really enjoy movie watching in the home, then investing in an AVR and some good smaller speakers and a small sub, would be a worthwhile, but not inconsiderable investment.

Sound bars are really just for watching news, and talk programs, and assume if you want to watch a movie you go to the cinema.

The fundamental decision facing you, is if your really want an improved home cinema experience? If the answer is yes, then you have to walk the walk,and pay the piper.

That is an individual decision for us all. All will have different expectations and means. But us our home theater brings us untold pleasures, as do our other two systems. If you own your home, then a neat in wall solution is possible. Our great room system takes up zero floor space. If you are a renter , then I understand your options are much more limited, in terms of elegant design minimizing use of floor space. Not being a techie, does not have to be a handicap, if you are willing to learn.

It seems to me you are looking for a better home entertainment experience, but you have some fundamental goals to set and decisions to make.

I know this is all easy for me to say, as I enjoy the challenge of elegant design, and the thrill of the build out.
I think I'd like to spend around £500 ,

I've tried 3 sound bars now that are not able to control this, although none have dynamic range control and I can't seem to find one with it

Yes this avr device is starting to sound like possibly the next thing to try. Any recommendations on which avr and speakers could be used in a HDMI or optical capacity ?

R

rufio90210

Enthusiast
actually the samsung soundbar had DCR but it didnt help.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I think I'd like to spend around £500 ,

I've tried 3 sound bars now that are not able to control this, although none have dynamic range control and I can't seem to find one with it

Yes this avr device is starting to sound like possibly the next thing to try. Any recommendations on which avr and speakers could be used in a HDMI or optical capacity ?
These smaller Marantz receivers are best for your application. I have used them in systems I have done for others in small room. Unfortunately prices are much higher in the UK, than the US. You will not come out for 500 GBP, and you have to add speakers. A 1000 GBP budget is more realistic for the complete rig.

R

rufio90210

Enthusiast
These smaller Marantz receivers are best for your application. I have used them in systems I have done for others in small room. Unfortunately prices are much higher in the UK, than the US. You will not come out for 500 GBP, and you have to add speakers. A 1000 GBP budget is more realistic for the complete rig.
Would this do the job?

here is a snippet from the manual, it doesnt seem the dynamic range is something i can control just presets so I would have to hope it does the job>? Or , to the right, MAX VOLUME , would this allow me listen at the volume i like for dialogue and any background / action scenes will be capped?

1659551150099.png

was thinking of these as some speakers

Thanks for help so far guys.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Would this do the job?

here is a snippet from the manual, it doesnt seem the dynamic range is something i can control just presets so I would have to hope it does the job>? Or , to the right, MAX VOLUME , would this allow me listen at the volume i like for dialogue and any background / action scenes will be capped?

View attachment 57130

The Yamaha avr would be fine. The max volume setting is just that, a limit as to how far the volume can be turned up (especially handy when kids are around or used by people not familiar with the gear), or sort of a save-yourself type setting :). That avr does have some adjustability for its dynamic range routine (many do). Not a fan of Klipsch particularly myself, particularly such small speakers (they're more similar to the size found in sound bars) but I'd try and get to listen to them before buying to make sure they sound good to you, but I'd also try some larger models.

ps as everettT points out, the avr would be good for passive speakers (i.e. speakers without their own amp), not active speakers, due lack of pre-outs (pre-amplifier outputs) on the avr. Klipsch makes both passive and active/powered speakers.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Would this do the job?

View attachment 57130

You can't use powered speakers with that AVR, it has no analog or digital outputs. Passive speakers would be needed with that unit. I'll take a look at whats available used. What area are you in to get an idea about shipping?

The best advice I can give is spend the most you can afford, used or new, on the minimum of you need. The Kef LS Wireless comes up used for around $600 for the original and 800 for version 2.

Last edited:
R

rufio90210

Enthusiast
You can use powered speakers with that AVR, it has no analog or digital outputs. Passive speakers would be needed with that unit. I'll take a look at whats available used. What area are you in to get an idea about shipping?

The best advice I can give is spend the most you can afford, used or new, on the minimum of you need. The Kef LS Wireless comes up used for around $600 for the original and 800 for version 2.
Im in Glastonbury UK,

Sorry didnt quite understand that reply are you saying the avr and speakers i posted wouldnt work together?>

R

rufio90210

Enthusiast
The Yamaha avr would be fine. The max volume setting is just that, a limit as to how far the volume can be turned up (especially handy when kids are around or used by people not familiar with the gear), or sort of a save-yourself type setting :). That avr does have some adjustability for its dynamic range routine (many do). Not a fan of Klipsch particularly myself, particularly such small speakers (they're more similar to the size found in sound bars) but I'd try and get to listen to them before buying to make sure they sound good to you, but I'd also try some larger models.

ps as everettT points out, the avr would be good for passive speakers (i.e. speakers without their own amp), not active speakers, due lack of pre-outs (pre-amplifier outputs) on the avr. Klipsch makes both passive and active/powered speakers.

yes so the dynamic range seems to just have options similar to setting night mode on a sound bar, which doesnt work on a sound bar so dont see why it would here.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some avrs have a full set of pre-outs for all channels, some are limited to just a few channels (2 main channels as well as subs on the Marantz Slimline avrs TLS mentioned), some just have them for subs. Generallly for a full set of pre-outs you will need a higher end model avr, tho. Some speakers have their own amps built in (called active or powered speakers), and can work on pre-outs from an avr, some speakers have no amps of their own and rely on the amps built into the avr.

As to dynamic range working on an avr, I have several avrs and the dynamic range controls tend to work well enough (altho I don't use them....but am not dealing with varying volume levels during a given show particularly myself). I think perhaps better speakers would simply resolve some of your issues, tho.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Some avrs have a full set of pre-outs for all channels, some are limited to just a few channels (2 main channels as well as subs on the Marantz Slimline avrs TLS mentioned), some just have them for subs. Generallly for a full set of pre-outs you will need a higher end model avr, tho. Some speakers have their own amps built in (called active or powered speakers), and can work on pre-outs from an avr, some speakers have no amps of their own and rely on the amps built into the avr.

As to dynamic range working on an avr, I have several avrs and the dynamic range controls tend to work well enough (altho I don't use them....but am not dealing with varying volume levels during a given show particularly myself). I think perhaps better speakers would simply resolve some of your issues, tho.
On Hulu, the difference between FX and Motortrend is about 10 clicks on the DAC in one bedroom, a huge annoying difference but I've just learned to live with the required adjustment. Sure is annoying but I'm not willing to trying every provider to see who gets it close to right. The correction with the Fire Cube has worked surprising well for a lot of content, I just won't use it as it crops too much of the waveform.

Real world problems :oops:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Would this do the job?

View attachment 57130

You have to be very careful about buying used receivers on eBay. Many have been abused. In addition that receiver is too old to make a strong recommendation, and old with only HDMI 2.0. I would go new for a receiver if you can.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
On Hulu, the difference between FX and Motortrend is about 10 clicks on the DAC in one bedroom, a huge annoying difference but I've just learned to live with the required adjustment. Sure is annoying but I'm not willing to trying every provider to see who gets it close to right. The correction with the Fire Cube has worked surprising well for a lot of content, I just won't use it as it crops too much of the waveform.

Real world problems :oops:
Yes, when I change videos on Youtube particularly, the volume levels are all over the place (but don't change within the show particularly, altho some commercials can be more annoying than others in that regard). Within other apps can't say I've noticed great differences with volume between different content/shows but not a Hulu user.

M

MatijaSever

Audiophyte

If you really enjoy movie watching in the home, then investing in an AVR and some good smaller speakers and a

I know this is all easy for me to say, as I enjoy the challenge https://nexthash.com/otc-trading-platform fantasy miniature game of elegant design, and the thrill of the build out.
find this impressive. No other driver I've ever tested this way has (audibly) performed this well - usually there are at least some fundamental impedance peaks, but not with this driver. Promising observations so far...

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

find this impressive. No other driver I've ever tested this way has (audibly) performed this well - usually there are at least some fundamental impedance peaks, but not with this driver. Promising observations so far...
I sniff that pinkish canned meat from Austin Minnesota.

squaleca

squaleca

Enthusiast
Hi,

Got myself an LG CX OLED 55" - got it calibrated and its looking amazing!
However as with most tvs the dialogue in shows is not very good.

Ive tried soundbars ..... a Sonos Beam gen 2 , Polk Command Bar and Sony HT G700 and the same problem persists with all of them and I just cant believe there doesnt seem to be a system for my requirements but maybe of one of you have found a solution?

THE ISSUE - Ive exhausted all tips and tricks online to try and resolve - basically even with night mode on and voice mode on, all sound bars jump up in volume when not in dialogue scene ..... so i find myself turning volume up and down depending on if its a talking scene, actions scene or scene with loud music.

Its doing my head in - I have changed the tv settings output to PCM which improves it but still exists and tried all settings in each sound bars options. I found a zvox sound bar which actually controls the volume level but the sound sucks worse than the tv speakers.

I know I will be told that sound bars will never replicate the true sound without a multiple speaker set up so not looking to be told this - I'm not seeking cinematic amazing sound, i have a small to medium size living room - I need to keep the volume low. I just need something that allows me to hear the dialogue well and where the night mode or some sort of volume levelling actually works and stops volume jumping completely? Or in a controlled way.

Im sure some of you clever peeps have had a similar problem and found a way around or a product that does the job? Will truley appreciate any help.
hw 990b has amazing center channel check out rtings frequency response center channel on the 990b

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis