Sound bar woe - need help finding what i need!

R

rufio90210

Enthusiast
Hi,

Got myself an LG CX OLED 55" - got it calibrated and its looking amazing!
However as with most tvs the dialogue in shows is not very good.

Ive tried soundbars ..... a Sonos Beam gen 2 , Polk Command Bar and Sony HT G700 and the same problem persists with all of them and I just cant believe there doesnt seem to be a system for my requirements but maybe of one of you have found a solution?

THE ISSUE - Ive exhausted all tips and tricks online to try and resolve - basically even with night mode on and voice mode on, all sound bars jump up in volume when not in dialogue scene ..... so i find myself turning volume up and down depending on if its a talking scene, actions scene or scene with loud music.

Its doing my head in - I have changed the tv settings output to PCM which improves it but still exists and tried all settings in each sound bars options. I found a zvox sound bar which actually controls the volume level but the sound sucks worse than the tv speakers.

I know I will be told that sound bars will never replicate the true sound without a multiple speaker set up so not looking to be told this - I'm not seeking cinematic amazing sound, i have a small to medium size living room - I need to keep the volume low. I just need something that allows me to hear the dialogue well and where the night mode or some sort of volume levelling actually works and stops volume jumping completely? Or in a controlled way.

Im sure some of you clever peeps have had a similar problem and found a way around or a product that does the job? Will truley appreciate any help.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi,

Ive tried soundbars ..... a Sonos Beam gen 2 , Polk Command Bar and Sony HT G700 and the same problem persists with all of them and I just cant believe there doesnt seem to be a system for my requirements but maybe of one of you have found a solution?

THE ISSUE - Ive exhausted all tips and tricks online to try and resolve - basically even with night mode on and voice mode on, all sound bars jump up in volume when not in dialogue scene ..... so i find myself turning volume up and down depending on if its a talking scene, actions scene or scene with loud music.

Its doing my head in - I have changed the tv settings output to PCM which improves it but still exists and tried all settings in each sound bars options. I found a zvox sound bar which actually controls the volume level but the sound sucks worse than the tv speakers.

I know I will be told that sound bars will never replicate the true sound without a multiple speaker set up so not looking to be told this - I'm not seeking cinematic amazing sound, i have a small to medium size living room - I need to keep the volume low. I just need something that allows me to hear the dialogue well and where the night mode or some sort of volume levelling actually works and stops volume jumping completely? Or in a controlled way.

Im sure some of you clever peeps have had a similar problem and found a way around or a product that does the job? Will truley appreciate any help.
This is your first post, so we hate to put you off. However members here do not use sound bars. The reason is because of what you are experiencing. Just look at the size of the speakers in a sound bar. The designers are builders are not miracle workers, although the marketing department would have you believe they are.
You have to be a later day Don Quixote to believe there is a solution to the problem you pose.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
To echo TLS Guy, sound bars are inevitably a compromise.

That said, I do have some advice. I have a cheap Vizio sound bar in the bedroom. It doesn’t do anything fancy. No simulated surround, no bass boost, or anything else. It sounds passable. If you picked something like that with a subwoofer output to help fill in the low end, you may get satisfactory sound.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
Hi,

Look at a soundbar from Paradigm that uses the ARC room correction or a pair of active speakers from Klipsch called The Fives which have an HDMI port to connect with your TV.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Sorry. You are out of luck here. Even my av receiver setup has a difference between dialog and music sound effects etc.

R

rufio90210

Enthusiast
This is your first post, so we hate to put you off. However members here do not use sound bars. The reason is because of what you are experiencing. Just look at the size of the speakers in a sound bar. The designers are builders are not miracle workers, although the marketing department would have you believe they are.
You have to be a later day Don Quixote to believe there is a solution to the problem you pose.
Haha, no not put off and thanks for taking time to reply . I pre empted being told this which is why i highlighted in bold to move on to possible solutions.

So what should a guy do who just doesnt want crazy volume increases between dialougue and action / music scenes?

Its a small living room ( see pic attached) - so cinematic sound system is overkill and i live in terraced housing.

Are you saying basically my options are either feeling overwhelmed with cinematic sound in a small living room and annoying neighbours or putting up with volume issues on the tv or sound bar?

Attachments

R

rufio90210

Enthusiast
Look at a soundbar from Paradigm that uses the ARC room correction or a pair of active speakers from Klipsch called The Fives which have an HDMI port to connect with your TV.
Thanks for reply - the Klipsch the fives looks interesting - has this a means to control the audio so that I wont have the issue of loud actions scenes in between dialogue how could it possibly help my issue?

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
Thanks for reply - the Klipsch the fives looks interesting - has this a means to control the audio so that I wont have the issue of loud actions scenes in between dialogue how could it possibly help my issue?
See if this review answers your question, I don't own them but if you still have questions after your research many dealers have a 30 or 60 day return policy if they don't work out:

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The Fives are ok but have some issues Iin the speech band.

The new 4305 from JBL looks better, and has a lower extension

The other option is a DAC and powered speakers from Kali Audio's "IN" series.
Or moving towards higher end like the Kali but geared for higher wife acceptance with a wide range of finishes and lots of connectivity

R

rufio90210

Enthusiast
The Fives are ok but have some issues Iin the speech band.

The new 4305 from JBL looks better, and has a lower extension

The other option is a DAC and powered speakers from Kali Audio's "IN" series.
Or moving towards higher end like the Kali but geared for higher wife acceptance with a wide range of finishes and lots of connectivity
Cheers everett will look at these - but have you experience in using 2.0 bookshelf speakers with a tv? Do they allow for control of or at least stop the issue i am describing with scene volumes being dramatically different?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Do they allow for control of or at least stop the issue i am describing with scene volumes being dramatically different?
You’re looking for something called dynamic range compression or night mode. New speakers / sound bars aren’t going to fix this. You need to check through the settings of your TV, since that is effectively your source.

R

rufio90210

Enthusiast
You’re looking for something called dynamic range compression or night mode. New speakers / sound bars aren’t going to fix this. You need to check through the settings of your TV, since that is effectively your source.
Yea i cant see anything like this in the tv settings - and the soundbars have night mode and allthough it makes it quieter it doesnt stop the difference in volume inbetween scenes.

Anything you can suggest steve what do you use for living room casual viewing?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Cheers everett will look at these - but have you experience in using 2.0 bookshelf speakers with a tv? Do they allow for control of or at least stop the issue i am describing with scene volumes being dramatically different?
I'm using a pair of Kali Audio LP6V2 and Topping Ex7 DAC in a bedroom setup. Works great.

The issue with different volume levels is from the source. AVRs have features that help with it, some tvs have it built in and sources like the firecube have it. Speakers won't change that.

Other then OTA signals, providers are under no obligation to level volume between different shows and commercials.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Yea i cant see anything like this in the tv settings - and the soundbars have night mode and allthough it makes it quieter it doesnt stop the difference in volume inbetween scenes.

Anything you can suggest steve what do you use for living room casual viewing?
Strangely enough, my casual living room system consists of an Apple TV feeding an actual TV to an integrated amp, in turn to a pair of bookshelf speakers. Keeping the volume at moderate and not ridiculous levels, the experience is generally fine. Then again, content is going to be the question. I’m usually just streaming stuff sans any sort of commercials on Netflix, Prime, etc. If a program seems a little loud at the start, adjusting the volume generally does the trick. There should be *some* dynamic range of course. If someone gets hit by a van ala Goliath, it ought to be a little shocking, no?

R

rufio90210

Enthusiast
I'm using a pair of Kali Audio LP6V2 and Topping Ex7 DAC in a bedroom setup. Works great.

The issue with different volume levels is from the source. AVRs have features that help with it, some tvs have it built in and sources like the firecube have it. Speakers won't change that.

Other then OTA signals, providers are under no obligation to level volume between different shows and commercials.
Sorry whats AVR?

So i have an LG CX OLED - are you saying that the issue I am facing is actually to how the tv is transmitting the sound data? And the TV does not allow me to alter any sound settings when the soundbar is in use so there is nothing i can do about it?

I'm not very techy so if there is anything i can do to get dynamic range compression from my tv i need to know a product or means to change setting.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Strangely enough, my casual living room system consists of a TV feeding an integrated amp, in turn to a pair of bookshelf speakers. Keeping the volume at moderate and not ridiculous levels, the experience is generally fine. Then again, content is going to be the question. We‘re usually just streaming stuff sans any sort of commercials on Netflix, Prime, etc. If a program seems a little loud at the start, adjusting the volume generally does the trick. There should be *some* dynamic range of course. If someone gets hit by a van ala Goliath, it should be a little shocking, no?
Audyssey have Dynamic Volume (not to be confused with Dynamic EQ that is a loudness compensation scheme) that is essentially an audio compressor and works great for combatting large differences in loudness in advertisement. It can also be quite useful if the dynamic range of the audio is too large and/or dialogue level is too low.

Outside of that you'll have too look into this type of EQ from software, but I don't know much about that.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry whats AVR?

So i have an LG CX OLED - are you saying that the issue I am facing is actually to how the tv is transmitting the sound data? And the TV does not allow me to alter any sound settings when the soundbar is in use so there is nothing i can do about it?

I'm not very techy so if there is anything i can do to get dynamic range compression from my tv i need to know a product or means to change setting.
AVR = audio video receiver. Like this.

6421384_sd.jpg

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan

Advertisement is one reason why I almost never watch cable TV, apart from that I don't want to watch advertisements in the first place. This is in Sweden, btw, but has ben better regulated later on loudness levels.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Glancing at the manual, it looks like LG stuck it under an area called volume mode, and they call it volume increase amount. Unfortunately, I can’t tell if they mean if that feature is only available for the internal speakers since their manual is absolute garbage.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Advertisement is one reason why I almost never watch cable TV, apart from that I don't want to watch advertisements in the first place. This is in Sweden, btw, but has ben better regulated later on loudness levels.
That why I mentioned OTA here in the US, the passed the law that requires it a few years ago. Most people don't have off air antennas unfortunately.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis