Sound Bar Vs Receiver

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Also...

I learned Sony offers great kickbacks to bb employees for soundbars.
And a dB is a volume control. Wtf....

I’d like to do a PSA(not subs) telling the world to never get any audio advice from BB and they should close all stores until they can hire staff that’s not stupid. Lazy. Lazy or stupid.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It even has a full set of pre-outs if you had all active speakers....plus two balanced outputs for that "audiophile" experience :)
Lmao! Maybe I should work at BB!!! I didn’t even look at the player.

M

Mirage

Enthusiast
Also...

I learned Sony offers great kickbacks to bb employees for soundbars.
And a dB is a volume control. Wtf....

I’d like to do a PSA(not subs) telling the world to never get any audio advice from BB and they should close all stores until they can hire staff that’s not stupid. Lazy. Lazy or stupid.
LOL!
Poor BestBuy, almost feel sorry for them, but then I realize that right now, at this very moment, at least 2 or 3 innocent consumers are being lead astray by the big box store.

M

Mirage

Enthusiast
So, sorry for being annoying just a couple more quick things....(at least quick is the theory):

1) I've been searching on the internet, and seeing many 'ATMOS' packages, and noticed the speakers are not the ceiling form factor type (no enclosure). For ATMOS (and DTSX?) don't at least two speakers need to be mounted above?

2) With Ceiling speakers, is it better to drill the hole in the ceiling and mount them flush with the drywall? Is the sound better that way? I'm thinking the only advantage with mounting the speakers on top of the drywall is you can tweak which way you are pointing them. Cosmetically not as nice, but at least you are not making holes in your ceiling just to move them. You're kind of committed once the holes are drilled!

3) Lots of different manufactures out there of receivers, is there any benefit (other than maybe cost) if you get a 'kit' and the speakers are the same manufacturer as the receiver? I'm assuming it shouldn't matter.

4) Also, related maybe to the previous question, who makes the best overall receiver? I know with many different models on the market, it might be hard to answer, but in general terms who is the best (this includes after sales support, returns, quality of the receiver and remote, receiver delivering on promised functionality, user interface, ability to stand the test of time etc...). Looks like the main players are Denon (never heard of them), Yamaha, Pioneer and Onkyo (again never heard of them). Anthem is outta my price range.

5) What is a decent youtube channel to follow?

Thanks again, and sorry if some of these should have their own thread!

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
So, sorry for being annoying just a couple more quick things....(at least quick is the theory):

1) I've been searching on the internet, and seeing many 'ATMOS' packages, and noticed the speakers are not the ceiling form factor type (no enclosure). For ATMOS (and DTSX?) don't at least two speakers need to be mounted above?

2) With Ceiling speakers, is it better to drill the hole in the ceiling and mount them flush with the drywall? Is the sound better that way? I'm thinking the only advantage with mounting the speakers on top of the drywall is you can tweak which way you are pointing them. Cosmetically not as nice, but at least you are not making holes in your ceiling just to move them. You're kind of committed once the holes are drilled!

3) Lots of different manufactures out there of receivers, is there any benefit (other than maybe cost) if you get a 'kit' and the speakers are the same manufacturer as the receiver? I'm assuming it shouldn't matter.

4) Also, related maybe to the previous question, who makes the best overall receiver? I know with many different models on the market, it might be hard to answer, but in general terms who is the best (this includes after sales support, returns, quality of the receiver and remote, receiver delivering on promised functionality, user interface, ability to stand the test of time etc...). Looks like the main players are Denon (never heard of them), Yamaha, Pioneer and Onkyo (again never heard of them). Anthem is outta my price range.

3. doesnt matter at all no

4. Denon/Marantz and Yamaha are probably the biggest nowdays. Denon has been in the game for a long time same as the others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

No worries, if you don’t ask, you’ll never know!

1) imo, yes they do. However, there is a speaker type that you set on top of your front speakers and they basically bounce the sound off the ceiling to your LP(listening position). These are generally considered to be a last resort as there are more ways to get those wrong than right. IOW, very fussy, and Ime not as good.

2)using in ceiling usually requires they be mounted flush yes. They are designed that way, and if you find good ones that meet the wide dispersion recommendations you will have a good experience. People have been known to mount BS(book shelf) speakers to the ceiling. This comes with its own pluses and minuses and imo, the benefits don’t outweigh the negatives given the type of content they provide.(yeah I oversimplified a little).

3)correct. No matter. In fact, they’re usually compromised in that the included speakers aren’t usually very good. A decent upgrade path can be starting with a “kit” and upgrading the speakers in it down the road once a person has gotten used to navigating the system, and finding what they like and dislike.

4) Pass...lol
I’m general most AVR’s will sound the same. What usually separates them is GUI, features, and room correction(mcacc, audyssey ypao etc). That’s where the “sound” is eq’d to deal with room anomalies and each one is very different. So, I usually recommend people to go and play with receivers, and navigate the menus. Also, can you deal with the remote? Some are HORRIBLE!!!!
Accessories4less.com has refurbished gear that can help you acquire an otherwise too expensive AVR, and offers good value. Sometimes waiting for current close outs can be better. Ymmv.

5)...AH

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
3. doesnt matter at all no

4. Denon/Marantz and Yamaha are probably the biggest nowdays. Denon has been in the game for a long time same as the others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not sure if one of us (you or I) understands question 3. He's basically asking about whether HTIB speakers from the same company as the receiver are as good as buying the receiver and speakers separate. I think, as a rule of thumb, you can do better for speakers buying them separate. For instance, a Yamaha HTIB might come with Yamaha speakers where I'd rather buy the receiver and pick out my own (SVS Utra) speakers.

OP am I wrong in my interpretation of your question?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Not sure if one of us (you or I) understands question 3. He's basically asking about whether HTIB speakers from the same company as the receiver are as good as buying the receiver and speakers separate. I think, as a rule of thumb, you can do better for speakers buying them separate. For instance, a Yamaha HTIB might come with Yamaha speakers where I'd rather buy the receiver and pick out my own (SVS Utra) speakers.

OP am I wrong in my interpretation of your question?
I thought he was asking if there was a benefit to getting the same brand speakers as reciever (which are common in HTIB systems)

And answer was no benefit to it at all, maybe i should have written a bit longer answer for clarity.

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
Hi Mirage,

You should buy this Audioholics recommended system with perhaps a better receiver.

https://www.audioholics.com/recommended-systems/recommended-5.1-focused-audio-system-for-under-700

Since, you already have the blu ray player, it would only cost $625 total. It will destroy any soundbar or home theatre in a box. It's 5.1 but that is pretty nice for most movies. I just use 5.1 and when setup properly, it gives a great experience with movies, I'm not in a rush to get atmos. if you have the funds you could buy a better receiver such as a Yahmaha RX-780 for $399 on accessories4less if you want to do atmos. You could buy the atmos ceiling speakers down the line, or now if you want.

M

Mirage

Enthusiast
Hi Mirage,

You should buy this Audioholics recommended system with perhaps a better receiver.

https://www.audioholics.com/recommended-systems/recommended-5.1-focused-audio-system-for-under-700

Since, you already have the blu ray player, it would only cost $625 total. It will destroy any soundbar or home theatre in a box. It's 5.1 but that is pretty nice for most movies. I just use 5.1 and when setup properly, it gives a great experience with movies, I'm not in a rush to get atmos. if you have the funds you could buy a better receiver such as a Yahmaha RX-780 for $399 on accessories4less if you want to do atmos. You could buy the atmos ceiling speakers down the line, or now if you want.
Hi Baronvonellis!
Thank you for the recommendation, looking it over it looks pretty swell.
Being North of the 49th though, I get killed @ customs/taxes.
I'm leaning towards this today:
http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX3500H/NA/EN/index.php

M

Mirage

Enthusiast
No worries, if you don’t ask, you’ll never know!

1) imo, yes they do. However, there is a speaker type that you set on top of your front speakers and they basically bounce the sound off the ceiling to your LP(listening position). These are generally considered to be a last resort as there are more ways to get those wrong than right. IOW, very fussy, and Ime not as good.

2)using in ceiling usually requires they be mounted flush yes. They are designed that way, and if you find good ones that meet the wide dispersion recommendations you will have a good experience. People have been known to mount BS(book shelf) speakers to the ceiling. This comes with its own pluses and minuses and imo, the benefits don’t outweigh the negatives given the type of content they provide.(yeah I oversimplified a little).

3)correct. No matter. In fact, they’re usually compromised in that the included speakers aren’t usually very good. A decent upgrade path can be starting with a “kit” and upgrading the speakers in it down the road once a person has gotten used to navigating the system, and finding what they like and dislike.

4) Pass...lol
I’m general most AVR’s will sound the same. What usually separates them is GUI, features, and room correction(mcacc, audyssey ypao etc). That’s where the “sound” is eq’d to deal with room anomalies and each one is very different. So, I usually recommend people to go and play with receivers, and navigate the menus. Also, can you deal with the remote? Some are HORRIBLE!!!!
Accessories4less.com has refurbished gear that can help you acquire an otherwise too expensive AVR, and offers good value. Sometimes waiting for current close outs can be better. Ymmv.

5)...AH
Thank you for taking the time with that!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

1/ Ceiling mounting is superior to the speakers mounted on top of L/R speakers from what I've read, altho some of the "bouncy" speakers may work well enough. (I am not an Atmos adopter yet....don't want to mess with the ceiling as yet).

2/ There are aimable ceiling speakers that still need a hole in the ceiling and are flush mounted.

3/ I'd avoid the HTIB kits, altho some come with avrs, they tend not to be the upper end of the avrs with the best feature sets. No real benefit in matching brands, and can't think of any speakers I'd want from any avr brand.

4/ Denon has been a strong brand for a long time, altho more in Japan and got better known when they merged with Marantz in 2002...and now D&M is owned by Sound United/DEI Holdings which recently acquired Onkyo (and its sub brand Integra) and Pioneer (and they own several other audio brands too). Pick an avr for the features....differing dsp/room eq, number of amps, pre-outs, etc). Anthem and NAD are more boutique brands and doubt they offer more value than the main players on similarly spec'd units except for price (IMO). I have four avrs, two Denons, an Onkyo, and a Sony...they differ mostly in strength of amp section, types of connections, number and strength of amp channels and dsp/room eq.

I like your Denon choice of the 3500 (or anything from that point on up in the Denon lineup.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hi Baronvonellis!
Thank you for the recommendation, looking it over it looks pretty swell.
Being North of the 49th though, I get killed @ customs/taxes.
I'm leaning towards this today:
http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX3500H/NA/EN/index.php
@PENG , you got any tips for a fellow Canadian looking to get a system without breaking the bank?
I didn't see a specific number, but I think he is looking at around $1500 for AVR and speakers.

Mirage, that is a tight budget if it includes a subwoofer. The X3500 will probably get close to half unles you've found a good deal on it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis