Sound Bar Vs Receiver

M

Mirage

Enthusiast
So, I went to best buy to finally buy something...

I'm starting a new Home entertainment project, and I have the first piece, a Panasonic DP-UB9000 Blu-Ray player, I want to build out from that.

However, with no money tree, I want keep my budget reasonable.
So I went to best buy wanting a receiver and at least 2.1 if not 5.1 speakers, with ATMOS future support. I understand that you need at least 5.1.2 receiver for true ATMOS.

But the sales person said receiver technology is dead (despite having almost a dozen on display) and I really need a Sony sound bar plus Subwoofer.
So $999.00 for the basic model (fake ATMOS she called it), and $1,999.00 for the Cadillac (true ATMOS). I didn't get the model number of the cheaper one, but the Cadillac is HTST5000 Sony 7.1.2. with very good online reviews.

I'm in Canada, so please keep in mind prices are probably 20- 30% higher here.

I need 4 or 5 HDMI inputs, which the sound bars don't have but the sales person said just plug the other devices into your TV instead, the sound bars come with 2 and 3 HDMI inputs respectively.

I also have a basic Toshiba 1080p TV, nothing fancy, hope to have a budget for this next year. So no 4K for me yet, and I'm fine with that. Also the BBSP (Best Buy Sales Person) said some receivers are either incompatible or are unable to auto detect older TVs.

I find the sound bars inflexible and you are handcuffed into them, I can't add speakers, and I would like to add maybe ceiling speakers in the future the ATMOS or DTSX thing.

So a little background, I have a large living room ( ~15'wide by ~30' long) but one wall is 'V' shaped, but wider angle, and is like 70% triple pane windows. The room has high vaulted ceiling that is ^ shaped (supposed to be an upside down 'V'). So irregular shaped room with interesting ceiling.

Just wondering what you people think of the Best buy advice I was given?

Thank you in advance!

G

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Does your TV have hdmi inputs, if so then the salesperson is wrong.
There is no way a soundbar will give you true Atmos, especially with a strange ceiling.

Soundbars are good for severe placement restrictions and ease of use for some.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M

Mirage

Enthusiast
Hi Leemix, thank you for the quick reply.

Yes, my current 42" Toshiba has 3 HDMI inputs.

Cost was one other justification for the Sony soundbar, they claimed. True ATMOS using a receiver would cost north of $15K. But even taking the time onsite in the store and doing advanced mathematical addition (sarcasm),the cost would be below $10K. And I didn't want to start out having ATMOS, just want to be able to expand into it later without having to upgrade the receiver.

Thank you!

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Ye thats another thing thats nice about reciever and separate speakers, you can expand or upgrade when you want/need without changing everything.

The sales rep doesnt seem very knowledgeable at all.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just wondering what you people think of the Best buy advice I was given?
Maybe they have a higher commission on selling Sony Soundbars?
As Leemix said,
The ONLY reason to buy a sound bar is for WAF or, maybe, simple installation.
Generally, for a HT system, you would be in a decent sized room and the best setups involve an equilateral triangle between the L speaker, R speakers and the listening position. The prospect of attempting to get that type of sound out of speakers confined with in a (typically) bar of 48" width or less is lunacy!
But if you are talking atmos with unconventional ceiling surfaces, completely forget about sound bars!

Give us a feel for your budget.
Are you willing to wait for Black Friday sales? Likely you can get more from your budget, but no guarantees. You can also do well if you are willing to wait for new AVR's to be released (typically early November IIRC).
How about bass? are you looking for the "in-theater" experience or are you in an apartment where that would get you evicted?

The statement that an Atmos system would run $15K or more is absurd!
These are not the best speakers, but they are very good for the price and would easily blow away any Soundbar system:
https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg5-5-1-2-dolby-atmos-home-theater-system/

Figure around $800 for an AVR, so that is $3330 (well under $15K)!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I would immediately assume that salesperson knows nothing about audio and find someone/where else to ask questions. Which is exactly what you're doing, at least the latter part. Welcome to Audioholics, and congratulations on making that decision before buying a bunch of gear!

M

Mirage

Enthusiast
Thank you for the replies!

My budget was blown on the Blue Ray Disc player: Panasonic DP-U9000.html

I probably can't wait for BlackFriday/Boxing Day (Canada thing), since our current Blu Ray system is a Samsung All in One Media kit bought over 10 years ago, is on it's way out. So no salvage or anything other than the old TV.

So I'm going with some basic speaker setup for now, with (hopefully) a receiver that can do ATMOS, so probably no more than $1500 CND, or roughly $1200 $US.

My next upgrade will be the TV next summer or 2020 BF sales.

We own our own home, and live on an acreage, so there is no issue with waking the neighbors or tenants below or above us.

I have noticed something interesting on higher end receivers, there is a Zone 2 for speaker setup, usually just two. What is that Zone 2 for? Would that be the ceiling speakers for the ATMOS?

Thanks!

M

Mirage

Enthusiast
I would immediately assume that salesperson knows nothing about audio and find someone/where else to ask questions. Which is exactly what you're doing, at least the latter part. Welcome to Audioholics, and congratulations on making that decision before buying a bunch of gear!
Yupp....I asked the salesperson what a decibel was, and she couldn't answer and brought another salesperson over and he just said it was the volume control. Next.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you for the replies!

My budget was blown on the Blue Ray Disc player: Panasonic DP-U9000.html

I probably can't wait for BlackFriday/Boxing Day (Canada thing), since our current Blu Ray system is a Samsung All in One Media kit bought over 10 years ago, is on it's way out. So no salvage or anything other than the old TV.

So I'm going with some basic speaker setup for now, with (hopefully) a receiver that can do ATMOS, so probably no more than $1500 CND, or roughly $1200 $US.

My next upgrade will be the TV next summer or 2020 BF sales.

We own our own home, and live on an acreage, so there is no issue with waking the neighbors or tenants below or above us.

I have noticed something interesting on higher end receivers, there is a Zone 2 for speaker setup, usually just two. What is that Zone 2 for? Would that be the ceiling speakers for the ATMOS?

Thanks!
Many receivers now have zone 2 (and 3 and 4 in some cases). Zones are for separate areas aside from the main ones, altho in some cases they may share speaker terminals for the amps included in the avr so you have a choice of surrounds of some type vs the zone (or can add an outboard amp to pre-outs for zones). Just in general you want to blow the money on speakers/subs rather than the electronics. A nice bluray player is okay, but you can spend less on one with same features (altho that is a fairly nice one you got there that may have better quality build/materials involved).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you can bump your budget a little this 2.1 package from Hsu would be a great start for your speakers and sub. I haven't heard the CCB8s but they've reviewed very well. I own 2 of those subs tho and I can tell you they are capable of some pretty spectacular bass. That sub will work well in a large space. If you have a smaller room (not open to other spaces) you could get a smaller sub.

Here are some other Hsu packages you can check out too ranging from 2.1 to 5.1 with their smaller speakers. There are a lot of different ways to go tho and while Hsu is good, there are plenty of others. Either way I say on your budget starting with 2 speakers or 2.1 and a receiver is what I'd do then add on as more funds become available.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you can bump your budget a little this 2.1 package from Hsu would be a great start for your speakers and sub. I haven't heard the CCB8s but they've reviewed very well. I own 2 of those subs tho and I can tell you they are capable of some pretty spectacular bass. That sub will work well in a large space. If you have a smaller room (not open to other spaces) you could get a smaller sub.

Here are some other Hsu packages you can check out too ranging from 2.1 to 5.1 with their smaller speakers. There are a lot of different ways to go tho and while Hsu is good, there are plenty of others. Either way I say on your budget starting with 2 speakers or 2.1 and a receiver is what I'd do then add on as more funds become available.
Does Hsu have a decent delivery option for Canada, tho?

M

Mirage

Enthusiast
If you can bump your budget would be a great start for your speakers and sub. I haven't heard the CCB8s but they've reviewed very well. I own 2 of those subs tho and I can tell you they are capable of some pretty spectacular bass. That sub will work well in a large space. If you have a smaller room (not open to other spaces) you could get a smaller sub.

you can check out too ranging from 2.1 to 5.1 with their smaller speakers. There are a lot of different ways to go tho and while Hsu is good, there are plenty of others. Either way I say on your budget starting with 2 speakers or 2.1 and a receiver is what I'd do then add on as more funds become available.
Oh very sweet! that is so tempting....just checking out the page.

Ha! I couldn't post your full quote because your original quote contained links, and I haven't reached the threshold to post links.....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh very sweet! that is so tempting....just checking out the page.

Ha! I couldn't post your full quote because your original quote contained links, and I haven't reached the threshold to post links.....
That's funny. Well, as HD pointed out above, I don't think shipping is very cost friendly to Canada from California so you may want to look elsewhere. Not a problem tho. Lots of good options for you up there too. Give us a few and we'll come up with some more suggestions. On $1500 I'm thinking 2 nice speakers and a decent receiver to start, with as much of it toward the speakers as you can.

M

Mirage

Enthusiast
I know this is a stupid question, but can't I just drive any speaker setup straight from the blu Ray player?

I mean, I wouldn't do it because I want to be able to select different HDMI inputs, and all the different options, but what kind of sound quality would I expect, compared to a receiver? Would I need an amp?

Also what are the odd shaped Balanced speaker outputs? (page 9 in the following link)
http://help.panasonic.ca/viewing/ALL/DP-UB9000PC/OI/TQBS0283/TQBS0283.pdf

Thank you!

M

Mirage

Enthusiast
That's funny. Well, as HD pointed out above, I don't think shipping is very cost friendly to Canada from California so you may want to look elsewhere. Not a problem tho. Lots of good options for you up there too. Give us a few and we'll come up with some more suggestions. On $1500 I'm thinking 2 nice speakers and a decent receiver to start, with as much of it toward the speakers as you can.
Yes, no worries though, still great to have that link to find out more! Worth the effort...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just want to say thank you Best Buy for misinforming people on a daily basis. Lazy, misguided, uninformed sales people doing a disservice to the AV world. Fukk BB.

Now I’m gonna read this thread. Lol

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I know this is a stupid question, but can't I just drive any speaker setup straight from the blu Ray player?

I mean, I wouldn't do it because I want to be able to select different HDMI inputs, and all the different options, but what kind of sound quality would I expect, compared to a receiver? Would I need an amp?

Also what are the odd shaped Balanced speaker outputs? (page 9 in the following link)

Thank you!
No you can’t. Sorry. The BD player has no connections or power to run speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Thank you!
Not passive speakers, they require an amp. If you had active speakers (where an amp is built into the speaker) then yes. Balanced is a type of output, generally for long runs of interconnect as they're more resistant to noise; unbalanced type like an rca is just fine for home use, tho.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis