Sony's New XBRITE LCD Display Technology

As we report on OLEDs and new display tech, we also want to bring you news on any related technology updates that we feel may make their way into the home theater market. Sony recently released its new line of XBRITE flat panel LCD displays which "feature a special LCD panel, originally introduced on Sony's VAIO PCs, that allows the displays to deliver superior brightness and enhanced contrast even when placed in a sunlit room." We're less enthused about Sony's ErgoBright technology, which allows users to easily adjust brightness settings in one touch. This is one panel life-shortening feature we don't really want to see in home television versions of this technology.

The new displays will be available in July. The 17" HS74P display will be priced at about $600 and the 19" HS94P will be priced at about $850.

Read More About XBRITE

U

Unregistered

Tim's Review

I've been shopping for an LCD monitor for the past few months and every display seems to pale in comparison to the Sony LCDs with XBritre technology. The difference in picture quality between the XBrite LCDs and other LCDs is like the difference between a regular TV and a High-Def TV....it's that noticable. The only reason anyone should even consider purchasing a non-xbrite LCD is the high price...but if you can afford one, get it, you won't regret it. I suppose some people might complain about the lack of height adjustment and because you can't turn the monitor on it's end to look at documents full screen, but who uses that stuff anyway. If what you care about is picture quality in windows, movies, and games then this is the way to go.

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
My goodness, have you seen the Sony laptop that uses the 17" (widescreen) 1920x1200 pixel XBrite LCD? It is INSANE! :eek: :eek: Whatever Sony is doing with their LCDs, the result is a rock-solid image with amazing contrast and timing. It's a sight to behold.

U

Unregistered

Sony 19" XBrite

Got caught in the rain at CompUSA. They had the Aquarium screen saver playing on an XBRITE laptop. Unbelievable. Same as really high end HD TV. I had been considering replacing my 19" Sony CRT monitor. I went for the 19" in silver, and the picture is fabulous right out of the box, just turned the brightness down a bit. There are some windows to my back, but the reflection issue has not caused any problems.

With the $100 rebate the prices is only a bit higher than others, but if you are particular like me - there is no other choice.

John

B

Boaz

Audiophyte
Hx93

If you compare the picture of the SDM-HS94 (contrast is 500:1) to the SDM-HX93 (better contrast of 800:1), which is better?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis