SONY XBR55X810C Looks horrible when on cable .

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I was surprised to see a Spectrum Router, but maybe it came packaged with the App somehow. Is there another Router in the House, or does this one connect to a modem of some type? Perhaps you could connect directly to where the Spectrum Router goes and eliminate it - in case it's contributing to the issue. (I hope you are not renting it.) Please advise the background here.

If I was to buy a new Router I'd go for something that fits the Wi-Fi 6 spec (AX) rather than Wi-Fi 5 (AC), just to keep up with current tech like the latest cell phones and all. If I wanted to save $ I'd look for a Wi-Fi 5 (AC) on a steep discount, or maybe even in the used market (Thrift Stores have lots of them around here).

@Kingnoob The Spectrum Router has Three GigE LAN ports and either LAN cable will work fine for now on such a short run.
The Spectrum app is available to any of their customers- I tried it around the time it first came out and hated it, so I got another box, but cancelled cable after I found that I wasn't watching enough channels to justify the expense.

Not sure the Spectrum router can be bought, but as I wrote, the user can't use the OP address to log in and make changes and I hate using their app, to do almost nothing. The fourth port wold have cost almost nothing but anyone who needs that would need to buy a switch, at their expense. For one port.

The signal strength with the Spectrum router isn't amazing, either.

I go to Goodwill occasionally, just to see if they have any used routers. I have used them when checking out a house or office, to see if the building causes problems with signal strength and they usually work fine for every day use, so I also disable NAT and use bridge mode, so I can use it as an access point. For $4 with a wall wart, it's fine. Many are 802.11n and even though they won't do 300-500Mbps, they're good enough for light to moderate demands.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I may be a bit dense here but I just realized Spectrum is an ISP (Internet Service Provider) owned by Charter Communications. (Remember, I am Canadian and they don't exist here.) I've never been a fan of equipment offered by our ISP, and don't use the Router portion of their modem/router and put it into bridge mode so I can use a better router that suits my needs.

Friends who aren't as geeky as I am do use the boxes from their ISPs, as they want to keep it simple (rather than optimize performance). So I do understand they just want to be able to call their ISP to fix it when things go sideways.

Anyways, I assumed @Kingnoob was using just their App on a Roku connected to an ISP, but if I've got it straight, Spectrum is also the ISP and equipment supplier for the system in his home?

highfigh

highfigh

I may be a bit dense here but I just realized Spectrum is an ISP (Internet Service Provider) owned by Charter Communications. (Remember, I am Canadian and they don't exist here.) I've never been a fan of equipment offered by our ISP, and don't use the Router portion of their modem/router and put it into bridge mode so I can use a better router that suits my needs.

Friends who aren't as geeky as I am do use the boxes from their ISPs, as they want to keep it simple (rather than optimize performance). So I do understand they just want to be able to call their ISP to fix it when things go sideways.

Anyways, I assumed @Kingnoob was using just their App on a Roku connected to an ISP, but if I've got it straight, Spectrum is also the ISP and equipment supplier for the system in his home?
Spectrum routers no longer have the ability to be user configured and ATT units could be, but would revert to factory settings after they forced updates. Which cable ISP is used really doesn't matter- they all use similar standards and they're compatible, especially if the modem is already provided. I noticed that a customer's network speed was 0Mbps down and I called Spectrum after I rebooted the router and AP- they told me the account was on hold because they're out of town for the Winter and it's not really needed since their daughter doesn't live far away.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

Yes I finally got my bigger tv hooked up, it seems to struggle with clarity but it smooths the jagged edges on spectrum decent . I have to forgo my center speaker until I get a wooden tv stand with space for it .
6B70833D-4E12-44A8-A6FC-44E69D5FAFE4.jpeg

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I was surprised to see a Spectrum Router, but maybe it came packaged with the App somehow. Is there another Router in the House, or does this one connect to a modem of some type? Perhaps you could connect directly to where the Spectrum Router goes and eliminate it - in case it's contributing to the issue. (I hope you are not renting it.) Please advise the background here.

If I was to buy a new Router I'd go for something that fits the Wi-Fi 6 spec (AX) rather than Wi-Fi 5 (AC), just to keep up with current tech like the latest cell phones and all. If I wanted to save $ I'd look for a Wi-Fi 5 (AC) on a steep discount, or maybe even in the used market (Thrift Stores have lots of them around here).

@Kingnoob The Spectrum Router has Three GigE LAN ports and either LAN cable will work fine for now on such a short run.
I’m not sure we’re the router connection is too I doubt it has extra plugs available if I can find it.
Calibration of this tv when on spectrum is impossible I gotta set setting to max or near max to get picture best clarity . I don’t really want to make a thread just for calibration but I can. Netflix is on the same input it’s going to look insane all settings near max.

Sony tv have the best unconverters I think I’d need a master series for anything better… and I can’t afford a new tv right now . Heck might as well get direct tv if I could afford it. I don’t think a spectrum cable box even would look much better on this tv.
Nfl network free on spectrum app looks the best the app can look.
BDE26446-2C2D-472F-B3D0-EE682DC43372.jpeg

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Yes I finally got my bigger tv hooked up, it seems to struggle with clarity but it smooths the jagged edges on spectrum decent . I have to forgo my center speaker until I get a wooden tv stand with space for it .View attachment 60002
How does YouTube look? If that doesn't look good, check the network in the Roku menu and if it shows poor speed and signal strength, find a way to fix that. Your Roku video should be very sharp. That's what I use for anything other than local broadcast TV and it looks great, even though my TV resolution isn't higher than 1080p. Matching the TV's resolution is very important but even with the last few routers that didn't do well with high speed, the picture quality was excellent.

If you were to default the TV's settings, your picture quality should be excellent, unless the signal from the source(s) are low quality. As I wrote, enter the Roku menu, scroll up to click on Network, Enter, move right to Check Network and post the speed- if you need, reset the network connection and if it's still slow, use any computer or smart phone to do a speed test of your network.If you have a computer that can be hardwired to the router, do that- it will show the best speed possible. If it's still slow, reboot the modem and router, allowing the modem to come back first, then plug in the router's power cord. Once that has come back, do the speed test again.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
How does YouTube look? If that doesn't look good, check the network in the Roku menu and if it shows poor speed and signal strength, find a way to fix that. Your Roku video should be very sharp. That's what I use for anything other than local broadcast TV and it looks great, even though my TV resolution isn't higher than 1080p. Matching the TV's resolution is very important but even with the last few routers that didn't do well with high speed, the picture quality was excellent.

If you were to default the TV's settings, your picture quality should be excellent, unless the signal from the source(s) are low quality. As I wrote, enter the Roku menu, scroll up to click on Network, Enter, move right to Check Network and post the speed- if you need, reset the network connection and if it's still slow, use any computer or smart phone to do a speed test of your network.If you have a computer that can be hardwired to the router, do that- it will show the best speed possible. If it's still slow, reboot the modem and router, allowing the modem to come back first, then plug in the router's power cord. Once that has come back, do the speed test again.
my router is linked a few posts above. Default settings loook good for Netflix /Blu-ray but very bad poor for spectrum. spectrum app I need color and many other things set to max. Vivid or bust .. :(
The tv is 4k but our Netflix plan is only 1080p because my dads TVs not 4k, spectrum app has bad quality picture but this tv for some reason isn’t sharp . I can turn sharpness and resolution to max and stuff still isn’t clear .
Netflix and Blu-ray look fine , spectrum app sucks except for football and battlebots which look decent .
I want to clarify, I don’t have a cable box i run spectrum through the Roku app.
I finally hardwired it and spectrum still looks bad..
0592E7C8-4BA2-4383-8C75-C6B14CFCEA26.jpeg

Should I keep and use the monoprice Ethernet cable or stick to my non branded one I found lying around in the basement??
Feels like a waste of gas to return a $7 cable gas is $3.35 or something…
Can I expect monoprice to be the superior ethernet cable ?

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

my router is linked a few posts above. Default settings loook good for Netflix /Blu-ray but very bad poor for spectrum. spectrum app I need color and many other things set to max. Vivid or bust .. :(
The tv is 4k but our Netflix plan is only 1080p because my dads TVs not 4k, spectrum app has bad quality picture but this tv for some reason isn’t sharp . I can turn sharpness and resolution to max and stuff still isn’t clear .
Netflix and Blu-ray look fine , spectrum app sucks except for football and battlebots which look decent .
I want to clarify, I don’t have a cable box i run spectrum through the Roku app.
View attachment 60014
Should I keep and use the monoprice Ethernet cable or stick to my non branded one I found lying around in the basement??
You shouldn't need to max out the color settings.

To a great extent, ethernet cable is ethernet cable is ethernet cable- when we use it in large quantities, we buy 1000' boxes and terminate the cable at each end. If a cable is bought, they come pre-terminated but the one main difference is that pre-made cables may use stranded wire, rather than solid wire. Performance, is the same, but the stranded wire is easier to wrap for packaging, which is interesting since so many routers come with solid wire and it's bent tighter than recommended (recommended minimum bend radius is four times the diameter of the cable). That yellow cable that came with your router? Solid wires, coiled and bent to allow using the twist tie.

You'll never reach the speed/data limit of an ethernet cable- the cable is sweep tested at the factory level (occasional samples) and rated accordingly. Coax is sweep tested and the better solid Copper succeeds past 3GHz.

There's no 'high end' ethernet cable and fancy appearance only costs extra without any difference in performance.

And don't buy anything like the POS in the photo or believe the BS that was written in the text!
1675440139749.png

1675440165799.png

Quite frankly the most amazing digital accessory I’ve heard EVER!
Got a £3500 @shunyata_research #sigmausb cable ? Plug this @computer_audio_design grounding usb device inline and watch you jaw drop on the floor
mind blowing mind boggling #scottyoudiditagain
‍♂️
@midlandaudiox #belbroughton #worcestershire

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
View attachment 60014
Sorry to hear the hardwired connection didn't improve things. LAN Cables are pretty much LAN Cables, especially at the throughput and distances you are working with. (I don't expect the monoprice cable to change your results.)

Just for grins ;) you should hook the LAN Cable to your Laptop / PC and run a speed test.

Did you try to remove and reinstall the Spectrum App on the Roku? Did you try Pluto TV?

After those options, the only low cost thing left is to get an indoor antennae (from a Thrift Shop?) and give it a try.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Sorry to hear the hardwired connection didn't improve things. LAN Cables are pretty much LAN Cables, especially at the throughput and distances you are working with. (I don't expect the monoprice cable to change your results.)

Just for grins ;) you should hook the LAN Cable to your Laptop / PC and run a speed test.

Did you try to remove and reinstall the Spectrum App on the Roku? Did you try Pluto TV?

After those options, the only low cost thing left is to get an indoor antennae (from a Thrift Shop?) and give it a try.
I can try Pluto tv , but even antenna won’t give me nfl network which the spectrum app has free . Connection test here ; I can try the monoprice cable when I get it see if it’s faster .
D5B2CF48-DC99-4E00-8569-F461A611410C.jpeg

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I don't think that's a good download speed for a wired LAN connection. But it probably depends on what your contract with the ISP (Spectrum?) says. Can you find out?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I don't think that's a good download speed for a wired LAN connection. But it probably depends on what your contract with the ISP (Spectrum?) says. Can you find out?
My mom said it’s 100 megabytes service so that wire only gets me 67/100 lol
Unless the 100 service is limited by the router I listed above a few posts. Hardwire is connected to modem .
C2614281-3A1D-4200-BB3C-FBD4A1400815.jpeg
7DB32ED3-3F63-4E32-B737-A213E858B455.jpeg
E74D22CE-4681-4F8F-B960-ED6B0AFD0FC7.jpeg

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
You should be able to push the ISP to meet the paid for numbers. Can you plug your LAN Cable straight into the Modem?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
You should be able to push the ISP to meet the paid for numbers. Can you plug your LAN Cable straight into the Modem?
It’s plugged directly into modem why am i not getting 100mb? Spectrum doesn’t let you adjust anything in the modem . Look at the specs or info from the model I listed above a few posts. You can’t adjust router .

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
It’s plugged directly into modem why am i not getting 100mb? Spectrum doesn’t let you adjust anything in the modem . Look at the specs or info from the model I listed above a few posts. You can’t adjust router .
I don't want to go all geeky on you but according to your posts you have a Spectrum Wi-Fi Router and not a modem. There's a LAN cable that goes from a modem to the back of your Spectrum Router plugging into the yellow Internet (WAN) port (Connect network cable to the modem for wide area network connection as per the manual on page 7). Follow that cable back from the router, and you'll find the modem.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I don't want to go all geeky on you but according to your posts you have a Spectrum Wi-Fi Router and not a modem. There's a LAN cable that goes from a modem to the back of your Spectrum Router plugging into the yellow Internet (WAN) port (Connect network cable to the modem for wide area network connection as per the manual on page 7). Follow that cable back from the router, and you'll find the modem.
Thanks for clearing it up for me so I’ll see if modem has more inputs on the back , I’d hate it If the router only had extra outputs .
Watching the coronavirus Super Bowl re run haha Bruce Arrians looked like Darth vador minus the suit .
25CF3DFD-AEEF-4C71-94A7-B64D0E2E0256.jpeg

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
The Ethernet cable ain’t fitting in the modem for some reason it seems like a thinner type of phone wire . I’ll get you modem brand and model also .
o_OHmm .. so router it is .

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
The Ethernet cable ain’t fitting in the modem for some reason it seems like a thinner type of phone wire . I’ll get you modem brand and model also .
o_OHmm .. so router it is .
Photos of it help too!

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
No eithernet ports in the model only the router .. only that yellow cable you noted . It has two phone cables that’s it no Ethernet ports.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis