SONY XBR55X810C Looks horrible when on cable .

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Help I can’t figure out any remedies to this , cable is un-watchable.
I hoped getting spectrum would fix the issue with at & t but it looks almost as bad .
spectrum app connected to roku, cable box I don’t have for this tv. It won’t look any better.. :(
C80E0BFD-8387-4D87-8AEA-9ED7DA0F77F4.jpeg
8736C6F3-93CA-41E9-B9BB-F0C697C2FF0C.jpeg
03D0D93B-7358-4805-A598-8703F37915D2.jpeg

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I don't know how your cable system works so let's start by trying a Blu-ray movie. This will prove the TV is functioning Ok.

But connect the Blu-ray player directly into the TV via HDMI. (Don't run it through your receiver.) Tell /show me the results.

Please advise if your cable system uses a cable box, or does a coax feed connect to the TV. Here's the manual for the TV.

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I don't know how your cable system works so let's start by trying a Blu-ray movie. This will prove the TV is functioning Ok.

But connect the Blu-ray player directly into the TV via HDMI. (Don't run it through your receiver.) Tell /show me the results.

Please advise if your cable system uses a cable box, or does a coax feed connect to the TV. Here's the manual for the TV.
using Roku ultra x4800 not set top box.
Not using a avr was just testing out the spectrum hooked directly to the tv, hdmi cable set roku to auto first , then tried 720p because it’s compressed video. I’ll Try other settings but it looks horrible.
Using Spectrum app , I tried Netflix it looked fine, although not perfect but far better then cable .Blu-ray look fine except hdr ones because it’s not a hdr tv.

I specifically stopped using it because u verse looked bad on it, parents switched to spectrum and it barely looks any better it’s so blurry pixelated..
I’ve watched plenty of movies hundreds Blu-ray/ Netflix it’s the spectrum cable that’s bad. o_O

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Well on the last post, with the bass issues, was the picture ok, before you started adjusting and changing settings ?
if it was OK, you could have a setting or a bad cable somewhere. Since you have Roku, just play a show from the Roku app itself and check the picture. I use the same Ultra as you ( but I use Hulu Live) actually, I have two, one in a bedroom and the other in the family room. Did you change any setting in your TV's video display setup. And just for kicks, do you know what your internet speed is ?
I know with spectrum internet, which I have, once in a while if your internet speed is dropping, a good reset on your router and spectrum cable modem brings your speed back.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Well on the last post, with the bass issues, was the picture ok, before you started adjusting and changing settings ?
if it was OK, you could have a setting or a bad cable somewhere. Since you have Roku, just play a show from the Roku app itself and check the picture. I use the same Ultra as you ( but I use Hulu Live) actually, I have two, one in a bedroom and the other in the family room. Did you change any setting in your TV's video display setup. And just for kicks, do you know what your internet speed is ?
I know with spectrum internet, which I have, once in a while if your internet speed is dropping, a good reset on your router and spectrum cable modem brings your speed back.
I was using a different tv, a 1080p Sony. I could only find internet download speed 95 mbs, it looks perfect on the super old tv. Although still some motion issue not as bad as the larger tv. Cable was brand new monoprice high speed hdmi.
Spectrum app, is basic hd. Looks no better then at &t did.. I’m not sure resolution if you can find it .
Netflix looked fine, it’s cable on this tv is just not watchable it’s so bad.

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
First image was acceptable, but the lakers game itself was so horrible and blurry during motion, it was like a superhero shedding pixels in the infinity war movie .
Unacceptable for a paid tv service, I’d call and complain but those idiots won’t understand their spectrum app is trash .
Static images ok but anything that else looks like a super old vhs tape or ps1 being played on a 4ktv.
845FAA5C-3EFD-4A6F-937D-5562B0FF5523.jpeg
38F2DCAC-5F64-4B9B-A561-1B25261886E9.jpeg
ar movie .

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
using Roku ultra x4800 not set top box.
Not using a avr was just testing out the spectrum hooked directly to the tv, hdmi cable set roku to auto first , then tried 720p because it’s compressed video. I’ll Try other settings but it looks horrible.
Using Spectrum app , I tried Netflix it looked fine, although not perfect but far better then cable .Blu-ray look fine except hdr ones because it’s not a hdr tv.

I specifically stopped using it because u verse looked bad on it, parents switched to spectrum and it barely looks any better it’s so blurry pixelated..
I’ve watched plenty of movies hundreds Blu-ray/ Netflix it’s the spectrum cable that’s bad. o_O
I'm not too familiar with Roku, but you are confusing a Streaming Device with "Cable TV". Cable TV comes to your device on it's own dedicated network (coaxial, fiber optic, etc.) whereas a Roku Streaming Device use the internet.

If the Blu-rays looked fine then it's not the Sony TV. It's either the Roku, or the Spectrum App feeding it and /or your internet network. Of course if the HDMI Cable connecting the Roku is faulty then there's an outside chance it's the culprit. But if Netflix looked fine via the Roku (?) then it's back to the Spectrum App.

I'd try the Roku on another HDMI input on the Sony with your existing HDMI cable. I'd try to hard wired Cat cable if you are using WiFi (at least as a test) for the Roku. If that fails then I'd try the Roku on another TV with your existing HDMI cable. Maybe at a friends on a different WiFi network.

Good luck getting it sorted.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Could be a Spectrum cable box issue. Exchange the box. Boxes can go bad. Get rid of Spectrum and go Directv or YT streaming. Perhaps the NEW HDMI cable from the box to the TV is defective. Try a different one. Did you check all the settings in the TV? Try a different HDMI port on the TV.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Could be a Spectrum cable box issue. Exchange the box. Boxes can go bad. Get rid of Spectrum and go Directv or YT streaming. Perhaps the NEW HDMI cable from the box to the TV is defective. Try a different one. Did you check all the settings in the TV? Try a different HDMI port on the TV.
I don’t have a cable box because parents canceled mine and my dvr to save a few dollars. Unfortunately until their Samsung that has lines forming on the screen bite’s the dust won’t care how trashy the cable signal is. o_O :(
At & t box looked like trash on this tv when I had it. Spectrum app on roku looks equally as bad . I’ve tried multiple high speed hdmi cables , I tried 720p,1080p, 4k settings on two different top model Rokus.
Spectrum app is cable tv through a steamer, like sling tv through Spectrum .
It has motion issues even on my ancient 1080p Sony, that’s why I wanted to use my newer tv just to realize how bad it looks .

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
It’s the spectrum App off roku , it loooked just as bad last time we had spectrum . o_O
it looks choppy on my1080p tv also but not as-washed pixelated ..

how bad my spectrum app looks can’t even use my newest tv for it.
:( Multi billion dollar company can’t stream true hd.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
It’s the spectrum App off roku , it loooked just as bad last time we had spectrum . o_O
it looks choppy on my1080p tv also but not as-washed pixelated ..

how bad my spectrum app looks can’t even use my newest tv for it.
:( Multi billion dollar company can’t stream true hd.
What are you using to connect to your TV, a cable from WHAT ?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
What are you using to connect to your TV, a cable from WHAT ?
New Monoprice high speed hdmi , I’ve tried other cables also . So far nothing has helped , I hooked it directly to tv input 1 not through an avr to try and resolve the issue quicker.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I hooked it directly to tv input 1 not through an avr to try and resolve the issue quicker.
But where does it connect to on the other end. You have one end to the TV and the other to ?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
But where does it connect to on the other end. You have one end to the TV and the other to ?
Roku ultra , it’s hdmi With fast Wi-Fi .
I don’t have it connected to the avr right now trying to get the bad spectrum image sorted out.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Roku ultra , it’s hdmi With fast Wi-Fi .
OK so you are using you smart phone as your wifi connection, NO cable modems, or cable boxes at all, NO AVR, NO fancy streamer. Your Roku Ultra is HDMI to your TV and the wifi is setup in ROKU is to your internet connection via your phone app which is Spectrum. Is all of this right.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
OK so you are using you smart phone as your wifi connection, NO cable modems, or cable boxes at all, NO AVR, NO fancy streamer. Your Roku Ultra is HDMI to your TV and the wifi is setup in ROKU is to your internet connection via your phone app which is Spectrum. Is all of this right.
Roku has built in WiFi, it’s not connected to my iPhone. But the router is connected to multiple devices .
I was going to try and mirror the phone but I never did it yet, I assume it wouldn’t look any better then off the Roku.

I tried Netflix it is crystal clear on the roku at 720 or 1080 the issue is with spectrum. Just be be sure if wasn’t the tv or the roku itself I tried this and Blu-ray .

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Roku has built in WiFi, it’s not connected to my iPhone. But the router is connected to multiple devices .
I was going to try and mirror the phone but I never did it yet, I assume it wouldn’t look any better then off the Roku.

I tried Netflix it is crystal clear on the roku at 720 or 1080 the issue is with spectrum. Just be be sure if wasn’t the tv or the roku itself I tried this and Blu-ray .
Can you eliminate the WiFi and go to a hard wired Cat cable to the Roku => even for testing purposes? If it's the same, then it's time to punt Spectrum.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Can you eliminate the WiFi and go to a hard wired Cat cable to the Roku => even for testing purposes? If it's the same, then it's time to punt Spectrum.
I suggested that to my parents , I plan on trying that next. They cut my cable box/dvr to save money all I get is poor picture quality and migraines from spectrum app. And I miss a ton of sports games no dvr . I even told them prior to going back to spectrum its app looked like garbage and wasn’t watchable in my 4k tv . They even tried to pretend they didn’t know if I was getting a cable box or dvr.
I’m looking for a desk job but I can’t fix my insomnia, makes it very hard to work when you can’t sleep. I may have to pay for my own cable . No dvr is ruining everything, along with the fact they never asked me which brand looks the best they wanted the cheapest.

the other option was to watch cable on my tiny tv and everything else on the 4k tv. They had a better Sony tv then my 1080p one a flagship model but gave it away to my sister despite she could easily afford a new tv.

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Well it's a longshot anyways if Netflix on the Roku works fine. I suggest you try to get an Antenna and see what's free in your area. Years ago I built an indoor one for my son when he first moved out (and didn't have the $ for cable) and was surprised how well it worked just stuck in a window.

You could also try Pluto TV as it's free.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Well it's a longshot anyways if Netflix on the Roku works fine. I suggest you try to get an Antenna and see what's free in your area. Years ago I built an indoor one for my son when he first moved out (and didn't have the $ for cable) and was surprised how well it worked just stuck in a window.

You could also try Pluto TV as it's free.
Yeah still can’t believe they didn’t even research or check the quality of the spectrum app before forcing it on me to watch cable. They could easily had gotten direct tv(for cable )or a spectrum cable box for me .

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis