sony str dh790 And setup (poor scots man)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Turning the crossover all the way up on sub also assures "double dipping" when mains are running full frequency. Now, you can eliminate "double dipping" by setting sub to crossover at a point that mains are not able to produce low frequency, or you could set sub at highest crossover point and then set other speakers to small. These extreme means to get a result will not get a smooth result however because either the sub or mains/center/surrounds or operating at their limits. At any rate, in my system my mains can get down to about 40Hz and right now they're set to small to filter below 60 Hz, while my sub is set to filter above 60 Hz. I run all other speakers set to small to filter below 60 Hz too. I once had the surrounds and center filtering below 80 Hz but then the 80 to 60 Hz frequencies were essentially lost from those channels. Now there's no double dipping and mains/center/surrounds do not extend themselves to push into low bass arena. This scheme is accomplished via my OPPO 205 multi-channel bass management capability.
I'm not sure you understand the concept of a crossover.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
But that's not the scenario I'm talking about. Is op running his speakers full range?
It's the scenario you described in your post, " Besides, turning the crossover all the way up on the sub won't have any negative effects at all so why not do it?" At any rate, the OP is asking what to do, and what to do based on his speakers is set sub for 80 Hz and set mains/center/surrounds to small with mains at 60 HZ and other speakers at 80 Hz.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Turning the crossover all the way up on sub also assures "double dipping" when mains are running full frequency. Now, you can eliminate "double dipping" by setting sub to crossover at a point that mains are not able to produce low frequency, or you could set sub at highest crossover point and then set other speakers to small. These extreme means to get a result will not get a smooth result however because either the sub or mains/center/surrounds or operating at their limits. At any rate, in my system my mains can get down to about 40Hz and right now they're set to small to filter below 60 Hz, while my sub is set to filter above 60 Hz. I run all other speakers set to small to filter below 60 Hz too. I once had the surrounds and center filtering below 80 Hz but then the 80 to 60 Hz frequencies were essentially lost from those channels. Now there's no double dipping and mains/center/surrounds do not extend themselves to push into low bass arena. This scheme is accomplished via my OPPO 205 multi-channel bass management capability.
Well I guess I’m Triple dipping cause I run L/R mains full, plus Extra bass set to on plus filter set to 80 Hz on AVR and sub Hz maxed out and I’m loving it!

S

sterling shoote

Well I guess I’m Triple dipping cause I run L/R mains full, plus Extra bass set to on plus filter set to 80 Hz on AVR and sub Hz maxed out and I’m loving it!
Then you'll enjoy this:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's the scenario you described in your post, " Besides, turning the crossover all the way up on the sub won't have any negative effects at all so why not do it?" At any rate, the OP is asking what to do, and what to do based on his speakers is set sub for 80 Hz and set mains/center/surrounds to small with mains at 60 HZ and other speakers at 80 Hz.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
He did catch you on calling a low pass filter on a sub a crossover, tho :) Other than that I'm still waiting to hear why he likes combining filters.

S

sterling shoote

I'm sure I do and I've got 9 ways to Sunday with my system to get the desired results. What might be confusing is if the sub is active rather than passive then of course it could be set at highest crossover point because the Pre-Pro is sending it the selected frequency spectrum; but, In this scenario the mains will need to be set to small rather than set to receive full frequency or there will be "double dipping" If sub is passive, it needs to crossover at manufacturers recommendation and mains will also need to be set to small for best results.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

lolo Liked it!! thanks!
Umm, have to ask, what’s it for? to help with setup?
It's House music, man! I've got a ton of it and Dance music genre too, lot's of low bass. It's my JBL B380's diet these days.
48837700336_3fc0e3a06c_c.jpg

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm sure I do and I've got 9 ways to Sunday with my system to get the desired results. What might be confusing is if the sub is active rather than passive then of course it could be set at highest crossover point because the Pre-Pro is sending it the selected frequency spectrum. If sub is passive, it needs to crossover at manufacturers recommendation for best results.
It sure doesn't seem that you do, though....unless perhaps you would expand on your beliefs...

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
It's House music, man! I've got a ton of it and Dance music genre too, lot's of low bass. It's my JBL B380's diet these days.View attachment 34339
oh dam, went over my head lol, I’m digging the plant on your speaker. Those are JBL? and what’s the unit at the bottom of your audio rack? Back when I owned a home in 96 I had a pair of Cerwin Vega speakers
18” driver with two 7” drivers for mid range, plus the horn
them speakers had the richest bass and mid bass i’ve ever heard.

S

sterling shoote

oh dam, went over my head lol, I’m digging the plant on your speaker. Those are JBL? and what’s the unit at the bottom of your audio rack? Back when I owned a home in 96 I had a pair of Cerwin Vega speakers
18” driver with two 7” drivers for mid range, plus the horn
them speakers had the richest bass and mid bass i’ve ever heard.
It's a small Christmas Tree behind a JBL L100t3. The bottom component is a Sony TA-N80ES Power Amp bridged to mono for 560 watts to power the JBL B380. The JBL B380 just has a 15" driver but it gets down to about 23Hz or thereabouts at -6db. I began putting th system together back in 1975 ago when I was gainfully employed. Now, I don't have enough money to afford much more than my Apple Music subscription. I like most genres of music except country and the sub makes it all better. Here's the whole rack, the DAT Recorders don't work so good anymore and too expensive to repair. At any rate, I listen to stereo from the Sony TA-E9000ES bought 20 years ago via Airport Express; and, I listen to 5.1 from a Sony TA-P9000ES bought about 19 years ago. It was in storage most of that time until I bought a BD Player that had multi-channel analog output which could be connected to the Sony. I still have no HDMI amplification.
48172400862_dc0e10503a_k.jpg

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
It's a small Christmas Tree behind a JBL L100t3. The bottom component is a Sony TA-N80ES Power Amp bridged to mono for 560 watts to power the JBL B380. The JBL B380 just has a 15" driver but it gets down to about 23Hz or thereabouts at -6db. I began putting th system together back in 1975 ago when I was gainfully employed. Now, I don't have enough money to afford much more than my Apple Music subscription. I like most genres of music except country and the sub makes it all better. Here's the whole rack, the DAT Recorders don't work so good anymore and too expensive to repair. At any rate, I listen to stereo from the Sony TA-E9000ES bought 20 years ago via Airport Express; and, I listen to 5.1 from a Sony TA-P9000ES bought about 19 years ago. It was in storage most of that time until I bought a BD Player that had multi-channel analog output which could be connected to the Sony. I still have no HDMI amplification. View attachment 34343
Here’s a man that got his Moneys worth, love all the village gear! very nice bro!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis