Sony SSCS5 vs. Wave Crest Audio HVL-1?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It is the cabinet tuning I'd guess. They don't have significantly more bass, but the +2dB bump in the mid output is more noticeable than you would think. I've heard them both in the same fairly large room and vocals come across more clear (IMO) due to that added output. They basically DO sound like a bigger 170 to me.

N

noclue

Audioholic
I can say this after doing some small testing in a small room 14 x 14 with a 10 inc sub.
The bass from the Sony's was there. There was a lot less detail in the Sony, maybe the sony center was a bit more clear.
If you want detail then I would stick with HVL-1 in a small room.
I an large room 25 x 25 a SVS PB 2000 the center channel sounded boxy this was with a set of there towers and and two book shelf's.
The was a guy doing a tests between the Chane A.2 against the Seria 2's he chose the Chanes over them.
He said that the Seria 2 was a better speaker but it was not as good as the Chanes at higher volume.

The Chane A.2 looks to be hard to place because of there size. The WAF factor would be less i would think two. but for movies and the cost the Chane may be a better buy. I would venture to say the even there book shelf would be a better speaker than the Sony at 329.00 a pair not a bad price.

M

Motrek

Junior Audioholic
I can say this after doing some small testing in a small room 14 x 14 with a 10 inc sub.
The bass from the Sony's was there. There was a lot less detail in the Sony, maybe the sony center was a bit more clear.
If you want detail then I would stick with HVL-1 in a small room.
I an large room 25 x 25 a SVS PB 2000 the center channel sounded boxy this was with a set of there towers and and two book shelf's.
The was a guy doing a tests between the Chane A.2 against the Seria 2's he chose the Chanes over them.
He said that the Seria 2 was a better speaker but it was not as good as the Chanes at higher volume.

The Chane A.2 looks to be hard to place because of there size. The WAF factor would be less i would think two. but for movies and the cost the Chane may be a better buy. I would venture to say the even there book shelf would be a better speaker than the Sony at 329.00 a pair not a bad price.
Interesting. Which center channel were you using? The Sony Core center seems to get mediocre reviews from users. If most of the detail (voices, etc.) was coming out of the center, a poor center might account for the impression that the Sonys have less detail.

If you're just playing stereo content through the bookshelves, do the Sonys seem to still have less detail than the HVL-1s?

Playing stereo content on my desktop computer, my Sonys are far and away more clear than my HVL-1s were. Absolutely no contest at all.

Maybe something really was wrong with my HVL-1s. I did buy them used off of Craigslist, after all. But I listened to the left and right channels independently and they both sounded identical to me, so what are the odds that the same thing went wrong with both speakers??

It doesn't come down to my room or positioning either, since the HVL-1s had the same problems with clarity and detail in 4 different rooms/locations that I've tried.

N

noclue

Audioholic
I have used a decanted center, a single tower and and yes the HVL-1s sound more detailed but take more power to drive.
This in a 14 x 14 room though. I must say I was impressed when i first bought them i almost used them as a f/l and center years ago.
I ended up much later on getting speakers from power and sound for the 25 x 25 room i just could not afford the subs need for that room. After i got some money back from my ISP for treaing up my PC and my AVR which was a Yamaha 2050 i spent what i had on a TCL 55 inch HDR 10 and Dolby vision upgrade after august I kinda wish that i just replace the Yamaha 2050 It seems that that AVR made it so i could listen to horn type speakers now after trying two older AVR's a Onkyo and a old Sony 1040 the audio will hurt my ears at some points.
This is why I will be looking at dome or ribbon tweeters when i upgrade. Darn ribbon tweeters are expensive though

N

noclue

Audioholic
I can say this, to me the yamaha AVr's of the last few years at least seem to make the difference in the way the speaker sounds. I believe that is why i like the HVl'1s over the sony cores. the yams seem to have a bit more power to them. I tried the new Denon 2400 looking for better sub management, The HVl's didn't sound good with the Denon. why lack of power or just the way Denon sounds not sure if it because the power they stated is less than that or what. I had a 2050 in the front room and it sounded great.
I have only used Onkyo Denon and a Sony 1040 that is in use now in the front room after the 2050 got fried in a power surge. it sounds decent but not as good as the 2050 did.
Other AVr's may do better Can't say maybe a x3300 with a amp would sound better. But i would recommend Yamaha AVR's now after my trials to anyone. of course some may need to be a higher tier than i have because i am in such a small room.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis