Sony Denon handshake

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Is there a downside to running everything through the tv instead of the AVR?

For one glorious hour late Friday night, I actually saw Dolby digital plus as an option while watching a movie on DIRECTV from HBO. It was great.

Alas, I have not been able to duplicate this phenomenon.
Quality wise probably not. Just less convenience of using two remotes for me and the ego taking a hit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
HDMI ports are limited on TVs and one will not be able to display AVR menus over content and will need to switch to the TV’s eARC port every time one needs to use the TV screen to adjust AVR settings. This will leave just three free ports on the TV in many cases.
[/QUOTE
Is there a downside to running everything through the tv instead of the AVR?

For one glorious hour late Friday night, I actually saw Dolby digital plus as an option while watching a movie on DIRECTV from HBO. It was great.

Alas, I have not been able to duplicate this phenomenon.
Are you sure you have a HDMI 2.1 cable? If you connect to Disney+ thru the TV app you should be able to stream a Marvel move (like Shang Chi) and get the stream in Dolby Atmos, my AVR (Anthem) automagically switches that base upon the incoming stream which is pretty cool. I also have the Sony Remote controlling both the TV and the AVR with CEC.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
HDMI ports are limited on TVs and one will not be able to display AVR menus over content and will need to switch to the TV’s eARC port every time one needs to use the TV screen to adjust AVR settings. This will leave just three free ports on the TV in many cases.
Also, Iirc weren’t some ARC implementations limited to 2.0, and the ones that can pass multichannel lossy? I have no use for arc/eARC and might be talking out of turn. Just wondering…

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Are you sure you have a HDMI 2.1 cable? If you connect to Disney+ thru the TV app you should be able to stream a Marvel move (like Shang Chi) and get the stream in Dolby Atmos, my AVR (Anthem) automagically switches that base upon the incoming stream which is pretty cool. I also have the Sony Remote controlling both the TV and the AVR with CEC.
Only need HDMI 2.0 with ethernet for eARC

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Also, Iirc weren’t some ARC implementations limited to 2.0, and the ones that can pass multichannel lossy? I have no use for arc/eARC and might be talking out of turn. Just wondering…
I can get true HD via eARC when I test it using oppo 203 direct to TV.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
ARC requires HDMI-CEC activation and is lossy while eARC supports lossless signals and can be used without HDMI-CEC activation.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
ARC requires HDMI-CEC activation and is lossy while eARC supports lossless signals and can be used without HDMI-CEC activation.
Ok cool. I have streamers so to me eARC/ARC are a waste but I can see where they could be useful.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
There still isn’t one streamer to rule them all and many bounce around from device apps to TV apps. ARC and eARC give one more audio options than just an optical connection from the TV to the receiver.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That’s true. But in my case I use a Sony bd player or ATV. My tv doesn’t even have apps lmao. It I have used some that do. They mostly suck… lol

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well then it would not say Dolby true HD. It would say DD+ on my screen.

Well that’s a good point. I did say I was speaking out of turn

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Not a problem. Techno dad just had a youtube about the same issue with the LG C9. Hence I tested it too. But if I use the LG apps instead of the Oppo, it is DD+ not TrueHD.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
All streaming services are limited to Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 with or without Atmos metadata. It is a bandwidth issue. Even if the device supports lossless, the stream will be lossy. So, a TV's built-in apps or a connected streamer will deliver lossy streams while a connected disc player/game console can deliver a lossless multi channel signal to the TV that can then be sent from the TV via eARC to a receiver. ARC will handle the lossy stream well enough, but the lossless audio from a player would be lost and a lossy 5.1 signal would be output to the receiver instead.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Not a problem. Techno dad just had a youtube about the same issue with the LG C9. Hence I tested it too. But if I use the LG apps instead of the Oppo, it is DD+ not TrueHD.

Too bad I can’t stand that guy. Sorry…

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Well I was on a serious “hunt” for why I keep having audio drop outs. His video offered added potential answers to my dilemma. Each time i think I’ve solved it it returns to mock my intellect and patience.

Observations (as with other forums too) that have an 80% chance of being true:

1. these audio drop outs are linked to streamed Atmos only
2. these audio drop outs are linked to new generation of Apple TV 4K when playing streamed Atmos
3. If one source is having audio drop outs it can sometimes effect other sources too including UHD Oppo audio only outputs
4. Potential fix is to replace new gen Apple TV 4K with the previous 2017 version. Still too soon to tell.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well I was on a serious “hunt” for why I keep having audio drop outs. His video offered added potential answers to my dilemma. Each time i think I’ve solved it it returns to mock my intellect and patience.

Observations (as with other forums too) that have an 80% chance of being true:

1. these audio drop outs are linked to streamed Atmos only
2. these audio drop outs are linked to new generation of Apple TV 4K when playing streamed Atmos
3. If one source is having audio drop outs it can sometimes effect other sources too including UHD Oppo audio only outputs
4. Potential fix is to replace new gen Apple TV 4K with the previous 2017 version. Still too soon to tell.

Did you ever solve the problem?

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Still too soon to tell. I replaced my new Apple TV with my previous version and didn’t have any drop outs last night. But that has happened before particularly after periods in which I used eARC using internal LG apps. So we shall see if i can make it an entire week.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis