Sony 4k tv why movies look bad.?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I really expect more from 4k any help ?
Sony XBR55X810C 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2015 Model) Dvd and some 4k and normal Blu-ray’s look sub part
Using this player https://www.techradar.com/reviews/sony-ubp-x800-4k-uhd-blu-ray-playerI’m unsure how to calibrate this model I’ve tried and made it look good but some movies still look terrible especially dvd.
Any free calibration tools ?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I really expect more from 4k any help ?
Sony XBR55X810C 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2015 Model) Dvd and some 4k and normal Blu-ray’s look sub part
Using this player https://www.techradar.com/reviews/sony-ubp-x800-4k-uhd-blu-ray-playerI’m unsure how to calibrate this model I’ve tried and made it look good but some movies still look terrible especially dvd.
Any free calibration tools ?
Rtings.com is pretty much the best place to get good settings for a TV if you can't calibrate on your own. I did that with my Sony 700D and am very happy with the results.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Rtings.com is pretty much the best place to get good settings for a TV if you can't calibrate on your own. I did that with my Sony 700D and am very happy with the results.
Those settings are not accurate for your room tho as you have different light levels, different wathcing distance and angle. They can improve your picture but are not ideal.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Those settings are not accurate for your room tho as you have different light levels, different wathcing distance and angle. They can improve your picture but are not ideal.
Hence the "if you can't calibrate on your own" part of my post.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Suspect it's not calibration as an issue here, rather than expectations.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Hence the "if you can't calibrate on your own" part of my post.
Well, calibration with disc like Spears & Munsil is really simple and imo well worth it.

Suspect it's not calibration as an issue here, rather than expectations.
My dad recently bought new TV by my recommendation and was about to return it due to bad picture quality, I told him in phone to wait till I can visit. When I went there I can say that the out of box settings were indeed terrible and I would of returned it too if I didnt know better. When running Spears & Munsil calibration trough twice the picture was a lot better like it should be, I don't know why the settings were so awful out of the box. Back light was set to 100% and I had to drop it to 0% to get good picture quality and natural colors. After calibration my dad was also satisfied for the picture and colors and have been using the TV without complains now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm also assuming pre-calibration one would turn off the vivid mode and tweaks for showroom settings....

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I'm also assuming pre-calibration one would turn off the vivid mode and tweaks for showroom settings....
I’ve used ratings. Com it’s calibration is too basic and it says every individual unit is different. Just feels like Sony tv are trash even 120hz if not hdr .
Factory settings are terrible I tried calibration to the best it looks to Blu-ray .
My 60hz 1080 lcd looks better and it was a cheaper tier tv. Perhaps it’s a lemon or bad panel ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I’ve used ratings. Com it’s calibration is too basic and it says every individual unit is different. Just feels like Sony tv are trash even 120hz if not hdr .
Factory settings are terrible I tried calibration to the best it looks to Blu-ray .
My 60hz 1080 lcd looks better and it was a cheaper tier tv. Perhaps it’s a lemon or bad panel ?

I have seen some previous models from Sony and they have had good picture when calibrated correctly. I would assume with proper calibration like Spears & Munsil it should look good. Doubt that Sony would want to ruin their reputation producing bad TVs.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I have seen some previous models from Sony and they have had good picture when calibrated correctly. I would assume with proper calibration like Spears & Munsil it should look good. Doubt that Sony would want to ruin their reputation producing bad TVs.
Some movies look amazing on Blu-ray or 4k but dvd are usually lesser then watching them on my old lower tier Sony .
Maybe it needs more adjustments for dvd or my player sucks .

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Some movies look amazing on Blu-ray or 4k but dvd are usually lesser then watching them on my old lower tier Sony .
Maybe it needs more adjustments for dvd or my player sucks .

More than anything that's an older TV. That was when 4k HDR sets were fairly new so it doesn't surprise me that it's not that great. Peak brightness on rtings was less than 300 nits IIRC. That's not going to get you much.

I have a newer model Sony and it's pretty great for how cheap it was. Their top tier LCDs consistently get great reviews, so it's not the brand.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
More than anything that's an older TV. That was when 4k HDR sets were fairly new so it doesn't surprise me that it's not that great. Peak brightness on rtings was less than 300 nits IIRC. That's not going to get you much.

I have a newer model Sony and it's pretty great for how cheap it was. Their top tier LCDs consistently get great reviews, so it's not the brand.
So my years model is just trash compared to newer Sony ? Oh we’ll should just use it til I can find a job And when 8k is cheaper??
I’ll never buy anything that’s not hdr again , or early adopt a new format . Total waste of $1100 and been broke ever since looking for a job for 4-5 years.
O well it happens some times you buy a lemon or terrible product.
Some films still look good , it is so disappointing Android 2.0 os looks horrible makes me not want another Sony unless it’s a oled . But aren’t lg oled cheaper?? What happened to curved tv they sure looked neat but strange

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

So my years model is just trash compared to newer Sony ? Oh we’ll should just use it til I can find a job And when 8k is cheaper??
I’ll never buy anything that’s not hdr again , or early adopt a new format . Total waste of $1100 and been broke ever since looking for a job for 4-5 years.
O well it happens some times you buy a lemon or terrible product.
Some films still look good , it is so disappointing Android 2.0 os looks horrible makes me not want another Sony unless it’s a oled . But aren’t lg oled cheaper?? What happened to curved tv they sure looked neat but strange

Yes, LG OLED are cheaper as LG produces thr panels. They should have same picture quality as they share same panels. Curved TV were just a marketing trick and nothing more, no one wants them so there is no point to produce them.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, LG OLED are cheaper as LG produces thr panels. They should have same picture quality as they share same panels. Curved TV were just a marketing trick and nothing more, no one wants them so there is no point to produce them.
Hmm how long do you think til 8k becomes affordable or actually 8000 pixels instead of 7640? I doubt can tell a difference between them and 4k on most home screens .

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Hmm how long do you think til 8k becomes affordable or actually 8000 pixels instead of 7640? I doubt can tell a difference between them and 4k on most home screens .

I personally think that it will take quite a while as there is no content in 8k so the market is moving quite slowly until there starts to be more content.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I personally think that it will take quite a while as there is no content in 8k so the market is moving quite slowly until there starts to be more content.
This. No point to an 8k set if there isn't any 8k content to play on it. If the 8k set doesn't have HDMI 2.1 then it won't even be able to take full advantage of that resolution anyway. That was a big issue with the first gen 4k sets. Only had HDMI 1.4 so while they could accept 4k content, they missed out on a lot. Sort of like the OPs 4k tv that doesn't support HDR.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
This. No point to an 8k set if there isn't any 8k content to play on it. If the 8k set doesn't have HDMI 2.1 then it won't even be able to take full advantage of that resolution anyway. That was a big issue with the first gen 4k sets. Only had HDMI 1.4 so while they could accept 4k content, they missed out on a lot. Sort of like the OPs 4k tv that doesn't support HDR.
Sony’s reason no hdr was my model does not have the brightness maybe not enough color gamut . I will never early adopt anything again ever , that’s a good way to throw away good money !!
Yes no hdr it’s essentially no better then 1080p

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis