Solid silver vs stock Audeze LCD 3 cables

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I will set up a blind test when I get my repaired, or new, cable back. Is there ANY possibility a new cable will have a break in period?
Seriously? What's to "break-in"? You, perhaps....

ps I can provide a reasonably priced cable break-in service. Only $100 per cable.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Seriously? What's to "break-in"? You, perhaps....
Those spinning electrons need to spin properly. ;) :D
An EMF stun will show them who is the boss. That may take time. :D

I am still breaking in mine after all these years of discipline to no avail. :eek:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I am still breaking in mine after all these years of discipline to no avail. :eek:
Maybe the arrows on the cables were printed backwards and the electrons are just confused....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Electron "Spin" is a bit misleading....

The name comes from a physical spinning (denoted by the letter s) about an axis that was proposed by Uhlenbeck and Goudsmit. However this simplistic picture was quickly realized to be physically impossible[1] and replaced by a more abstract quantum-mechanical description.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
I am new to the forum, and joined because I was intrigued by article on cable nonsense. My stock Audeze cable failed at the connector at ear. I paid $200 for e bay guy to make me set of solid silver, and repair the stock ones. In comparison, sound very different....silver much better. Am I deluding myself? No, I dont think so. But is there a cable worth $10,000 + ...no, I dont think so.
a while back i saw a youtuber switch cables.

his video compared a set from home depot and a set from an a/v store.

both sets were 10 awg and same length. the home depot set was copper and the a/v store set was silver. neither had terminated ends.

through my headphones i heard a difference. it was exactly as you described. more clear, instruments were defined, and didn't sound flat.

you can argue about the camera that was used or even my headphones but there was a difference.

oh, he wasn't selling anything, he didn't name the a/v store, or added any links to anything. he was just a guy comparing cables.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
a while back i saw a youtuber switch cables.

his video compared a set from home depot and a set from an a/v store.

both sets were 10 awg and same length. the home depot set was copper and the a/v store set was silver. neither had terminated ends.

through my headphones i heard a difference. it was exactly as you described. more clear, instruments were defined, and didn't sound flat.

you can argue about the camera that was used or even my headphones but there was a difference.

oh, he wasn't selling anything, he didn't name the a/v store, or added any links to anything. he was just a guy comparing cables.
So, now you are a "believer"???

o_Oo_Oo_O

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
So, now you are a "believer"???

o_Oo_Oo_O
yes.

wildings has first hand experience and he's a believer.
i have a second hand experience and i'm a believer.

did you test this theory with a set of silver speaker wires?

i think you might just be trolling and not contributing any useful input. enjoy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
yes.

i think you might just be trolling and not contributing any useful input. enjoy.
You heard a difference in a video on youtube? That's a convincer!

I do wonder if wildings ever did his blind test....

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
You heard a difference in a video on youtube? That's a convincer!

I do wonder if wildings ever did his blind test....
yes, i did.

for a first hand experience you'd need to ask wildings more about it but his post states an audible difference.

NorseMythology

NorseMythology

Junior Audioholic
The soundstage seems greater, more depth, instruments seem more distinct. The stock cables soundstage sounds more compressed and flat. To me, the difference is quite noticeable.
I think you have to admit, that is a LOT for a power cable to influence. If stock is more compressed and flat then we would expect evidence that that sort of material absorbs a range of audible frequencies. I personally don't see, fundamentally, how a power cable could have such influence, especially since they are analogue.

If you are convinced, you should ask yourself, is the stock cable making the sound worse, or is the other cable making it sound better. If the expensive cable is improving the sound, you have to wonder how or what it is changing. If it is the stock cable, you have to wonder how or what it is changing as well. With analogue power and signal, I cannot see much that could be changed. Is it changing the frequency or the amplitude of any frequencies, or the timing of any frequencies?

IDK I am pretty ignorant, but my limited knowledge cannot imagine any way that this would make sense.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
I think you have to admit, that is a LOT for a power cable to influence. If stock is more compressed and flat then we would expect evidence that that sort of material absorbs a range of audible frequencies. I personally don't see, fundamentally, how a power cable could have such influence, especially since they are analogue.

If you are convinced, you should ask yourself, is the stock cable making the sound worse, or is the other cable making it sound better. If the expensive cable is improving the sound, you have to wonder how or what it is changing. If it is the stock cable, you have to wonder how or what it is changing as well. With analogue power and signal, I cannot see much that could be changed. Is it changing the frequency or the amplitude of any frequencies, or the timing of any frequencies?

IDK I am pretty ignorant, but my limited knowledge cannot imagine any way that this would make sense.
well, your argument is futile at best.

1, you have not this comparison
2, you are basically calling him a liar because you don't BELIEVE it
3, we are talking about speaker cables not power cables (your typo maybe)

NorseMythology

NorseMythology

Junior Audioholic
well, your argument is futile at best.

1, you have not this comparison
2, you are basically calling him a liar because you don't BELIEVE it
3, we are talking about speaker cables not power cables (your typo maybe)
I am arguing from principles since I am not there in person for the comparison.

I am not calling anyone a liar, I said in my first post that if he thinks he hears an improvement then that is great, I am just expiring this form what I understand of the physics going on (which is admittedly limited)

I defined what I meant by the cables, I said power/signal which is what I understand speaker cables to be.

You have to realize, the human mind is powerful, which is why blind tests exist. People get positive effects from sugar pills when they anticipate them to be legitimate drugs, which is called the 'placebo effect'. I don't doubt that a the sound was better to him, but that doesn't translate to their being an actual measurable difference.

My speakers are 30yrs old, in my mind new ones should sound better, if I got new ones I would probably think they sound better unless they were clearly worse, especially if they were branded 'Focal' or some such elite brand. That doesn't make me a liar, it just means I am projecting my subjective anticipation instead of letting the objective experience tell me. There is nothing wrong with either, but when someone tells me their subjective experience is objective, I have to question it.

OP did not do that, he just asked if he was deluding himself, I am saying 'probably, but who cares as long as you are enjoying it'. No disrespect intended.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
yes.

I think I have better use of my time than chasing ghosts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis