Solid silver vs stock Audeze LCD 3 cables

W

Wildings

Audioholic
I am new to the forum, and joined because I was intrigued by article on cable nonsense. My stock Audeze cable failed at the connector at ear. I paid $200 for e bay guy to make me set of solid silver, and repair the stock ones. In comparison, sound very different....silver much better. Am I deluding myself? No, I dont think so. But is there a cable worth $10,000 + ...no, I dont think so.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How could you compare the broken cable to the new cable?

W

Wildings

Audioholic
As I said in the post, I had the stock cable repaired. I was able to quickly switch them for comparison.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As I said in the post, I had the stock cable repaired. I was able to quickly swich them for comparison.
Misread, thought it was simply a new cable. Silver conducts electricity a bit better but shouldn't by itself create an audible difference. Expectation bias can be powerful. Just what is the difference you're perceiving?

W

Wildings

Audioholic
The soundstage seems greater, more depth, instruments seem more distinct. The stock cables soundstage sounds more compressed and flat. To me, the difference is quite noticeable.

W

Wildings

Audioholic
Downside is the silver is very stiff, and I again damaged connection at ear. Sent elsewhere for second repair. I noticed one company uses what looks to be a heat shrink sleeve at this connection. Waiting for news. Bought a headphone stand in meantime.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The soundstage seems greater, more depth, instruments seem more distinct. The stock cables soundstage sounds more compressed and flat. To me, the difference is quite noticeable.
Sounds more like your imagination than anything a cable could do....

W

Wildings

Audioholic
I will do a blind test when I get repair back. I am reasonably confidant that I will be able to tell which is which.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
............................ In comparison, sound very different....silver much better. Am I deluding myself? ...................................
Yep, the difference between a copper cable and a silver cable is about the same as the difference between a 95 inch copper cable and a 100 inch copper cable. It's less that the difference between a 24AWG interconnect and a 22AWG interconnect.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was going to suggest you have someone help you do a blind test. As to wire breaking sounds like insufficient strands to withstand the bending....

W

Wildings

Audioholic
Probably the case...both failures right at the terminal. Yes, will get help with a blind test and report back. I did read a comparative review of five cables...guy and non audiophile girlfriend consistantly had blind test favorite. Most expensive by factor of 10.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Reading subjective reviews of cables isn't likely going to help. :) Just puts things in your head....

W

Wildings

Audioholic
I was not personally considering any of the cables compared.....only mention because I thought it interesting that the couple claimed to be able to differentiate with controled blind test....that is, one to them clearly stood apart.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I was not personally considering any of the cables compared.....only mention because I thought it interesting that the couple claimed to be able to differentiate with controled blind test....that is, one to them clearly stood apart.
Welcome to AH.

A couple doing their own controlled testing? Really? Suspect.
Not knowing the exact steps taken to conduct, the number of trials, number of correct guesses, randomness of cable switching, true double blind are crucial. I suspect they did a sloppy single blind test at best. You'd need the administrator switching the cables not be visible to the test subject.
So far, there may be differences in vastly different cable gages only, like 24 ga vs 14 or 12 ga.

W

Wildings

Audioholic
I viewed it as an interesting living room experiment presented by someone with no particular discernable agenda, financial or otherwise. No motive was evident. Are you suspect of intentional chicanery, or just that it may be possible to audibly distinguish a difference in cables?

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
I viewed it as an interesting living room experiment presented by someone with no particular discernable agenda, financial or otherwise. No motive was evident. Are you suspect of intentional chicanery, or just that it may be possible to audibly distinguish a difference in cables?
Why not a third choice?
It's hard to do good blind tests without a lot of discipline. The person doing the swaps needs to leave the room before anyone else enters. All the level settings need to stay the same. The number of tests needs to be decided before the start.

But all cables are not good cables, so audible differences are possible.

W

Wildings

Audioholic
I will set up a blind test when I get my repaired, or new, cable back. Is there ANY possibility a new cable will have a break in period?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Why not a third choice?
It's hard to do good blind tests without a lot of discipline. The person doing the swaps needs to leave the room before anyone else enters. All the level settings need to stay the same. The number of tests needs to be decided before the start.

But all cables are not good cables, so audible differences are possible.
the last sentence sums it up !

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis