So I Fried My Monolith...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
And they finally replaced it last week. I wanted to try gene's suggestion of bi amping and tuning the bass sections of my towers with my subs and pulled the noobiest noob thing a person can do. I forgot to remove the jumpers on one of my towers. :oops: There was an electrical hum, then it fell silent. If I let it sit a few minutes and tried to power up again, the light would come on then shut off within a few seconds

The process took almost 3 weeks from the day I called. They had it for 2 weeks while they determined whether or not to replace and kept me hanging the whole time! In the end it worked out and they sent me a new one. Phew! Right now I don't have them bi amped, but still haven't abandoned the idea... It was 100% my fault and I frigging guarantee it won't happen again.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
And they finally replaced it last week. I wanted to try gene's suggestion of bi amping and tuning the bass sections of my towers with my subs and pulled the noobiest noob thing a person can do. I forgot to remove the jumpers on one of my towers. :oops: There was an electrical hum, then it fell silent. If I let it sit a few minutes and tried to power up again, the light would come on then shut off within a few seconds

The process took almost 3 weeks from the day I called. They had it for 2 weeks while they determined whether or not to replace and kept me hanging the whole time! In the end it worked out and they sent me a new one. Phew! Right now I don't have them bi amped, but still haven't abandoned the idea... It was 100% my fault and I frigging guarantee it won't happen again.
This is why we can't have nice things! :D

Was the wifey pissed? Or, did you avoid that conversation?

That was very good of them to replace it.

That is one of the biggest reasons that this type of setup is not recommended--it is just asking for a mistake. Simple is better!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is why we can't have nice things! :D

Was the wifey pissed? Or, did you avoid that conversation?

That was very good of them to replace it.

That is one of the biggest reasons that this type of setup is not recommended--it is just asking for a mistake. Simple is better!
Yeah, I got lucky and I'm very happy they replaced. I am curious slip, what exactly did I do to the internals? There was no spark, flash or smell and no burn marks I could see, though I didn't take a real close look inside. At first I thought there might be hope...
Wow. One more strike against passive bi-amping :)
Grant may or may not have said something similar...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, @slipperybidness, and yes. Wife not happy. If they wouldn't have replaced it, I'm not so sure I'd be getting another. I was prepared to pay for repairs unless it was totaled.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Dude. Not cool. What did that poor amp ever do to you to deserve such treatment? ;)

Glad they just replaced it for you though. Took a bit, but they made it right. At least you had the amp in your receiver to hold you over.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Dude. Not cool. What did that poor amp ever do to you to deserve such treatment? ;)

Glad they just replaced it for you though. Took a bit, but they made it right. At least you had the amp in your receiver to hold you over.
Yeah, I was almost pissed off it took so long because they left me hanging for 2 weeks. The site wasn't updated for the entire 2 weeks. "Item not received". It was a little nerve wracking, but they replaced so I can't trash Monoprice. Aside from how long it took they were cool about it. No questions, just replaced.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I was almost pissed off it took so long because they left me hanging for 2 weeks. The site wasn't updated for the entire 2 weeks. "Item not received". It was a little nerve wracking, but they replaced so I can't trash Monoprice. Aside from how long it took they were cool about it. No questions, just replaced.
Sometimes patience is a good thing....had you called and bitched you might not have been graced with a freebie!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sometimes patience is a good thing....had you called and bitched you might not have been graced with a freebie!
I called once, to confirm they had received it. I don't think I could have taken 2 weeks of "Item Not Received" without at least knowing that they got it.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, I got lucky and I'm very happy they replaced. I am curious slip, what exactly did I do to the internals? There was no spark, flash or smell and no burn marks I could see, though I didn't take a real close look inside. At first I thought there might be hope...

I can't say that I know for sure exactly what fried, but I would assume it was the output transistors.

Yeah, I've pulled a few bonehead mistakes that I just had to laugh at. I'm a very technical person and an advanced user for most electronics, so the wife definitely gets a kick out of it when I do something stupid.

Most recently, I killed a pair of flush-cutter wire snippers, trying to cut something too big for them. Being lazy, didn't want to go find the proper tool for the job. As soon as I did it, I said "that was f-ing stupid". But, here's the real kicker, once I got the piece cut, it was too large to do what I wanted anyway. Wife: "Dumba$$"

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
..............I thought you were talking about a pair of Martin Logans !

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I can't say that I know for sure exactly what fried, but I would assume it was the output transistors.

Yeah, I've pulled a few bonehead mistakes that I just had to laugh at. I'm a very technical person and an advanced user for most electronics, so the wife definitely gets a kick out of it when I do something stupid.

Most recently, I killed a pair of flush-cutter wire snippers, trying to cut something too big for them. Being lazy, didn't want to go find the proper tool for the job. As soon as I did it, I said "that was f-ing stupid". But, here's the real kicker, once I got the piece cut, it was too large to do what I wanted anyway. Wife: "Dumba$$"
I feel your pain. I'm the same way so when something dumb happens to me wifey takes advantage of the opportunity to poke fun. Especially since she knows nothing at all about technology.

Dale Doback

Dale Doback

Junior Audioholic
One nice thing about leaning things the hard way; you learn them well.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

That sort of slip, causes the worst type of damage.

That usually takes out the power transistors, the drivers and a bunch of diodes besides. The high current can also do a lot of damage to the power supply.

I would bet that unit was pretty much a total loss.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
At least it wasn't a case of "I cut that four times and it's still too short".

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Bi-amping isn't for everyone. :D
I can't believe you'd say that. I'm still running in passive bi-amp mode because *you* told me to try it many months ago. (There's no audible difference I can discern, but I'm too damned lazy to put things back.)

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Boy, I'm sad to hear this, @Pogre. It all turned well in the end, so...

I was purchasing so high over my budget that if my speakers went, I'd be in the def for few years. So, I'm not touching anything and I'm suspecting everything.:cool:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I can't believe you'd say that. I'm still running in passive bi-amp mode because *you* told me to try it many months ago. (There's no audible difference I can discern, but I'm too damned lazy to put things back.)
Thanks for doing that! Now I need to get my terms straight again. Passively bi-amped means an uncrossed signal to two amps, right? Then passively crossed as opposed to actively crossed and then bi-amped?

I would never seriously claim that any kind of bi-anything is audibly superior due to having some idea of how difficult it is to do a fair listening comparison. That plus the fact that speakers are where it's at for sound quality, means that my wire and amp configuration stays put for the same reason your wire and amp configuration stays put: laziness.

The biggest thing that happens after any of that bi stuff is that you end up actually listening to the best music you have thinking about how great it sounds. But I still don't think RichB is crazy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis