So I Fried My Monolith...

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for doing that! Now I need to get my terms straight again. Passively bi-amped means an uncrossed signal to two amps, right? Then passively crossed as opposed to actively crossed and then bi-amped?

I would never seriously claim that any kind of bi-anything is audibly superior due to having some idea of how difficult it is to do a fair listening comparison. That plus the fact that speakers are where it's at for sound quality, means that my wire and amp configuration stays put for the same reason your wire and amp configuration stays put: laziness.

The biggest thing that happens after any of that bi stuff is that you end up actually listening to the best music you have thinking about how great it sounds. But I still don't think RichB is crazy.
RichB is definitely crazy, so let's just get that out of the way.

Passive bi-amping means the outputs from the pre-amp are split to feed two identical amp channels per pre-amp channel, and the identical signals are connected to speakers with passive crossovers that support bi-wiring or passive bi-amping.

Alex, I should have put a smiley on that post, as humor was intended. I know you were joking too when you mentioned a potential improvement. I did set up the Salon2s for passive bi-amping on your dare, but now I really am just too lazy to set everything back to normal, because I'd get no improvement that way either. I also enjoy the occasional technical person who comes to the house and asks about the improvement with passive bi-amping, and I'm always surprised that most say, "I wish I could do that. It looks cool." There is that one guy who thinks using 10ga zip cord with Salon2s is some sort of crime against humanity though. He thinks I should switch to Nordost. I told him my wife could do it when I'm in an urn.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
There is that one guy who thinks using 10ga zip cord with Salon2s is some sort of crime against humanity though. He thinks I should switch to Nordost. I told him my wife could do it when I'm in an urn.
at a minimum Irv you should be 'Tarred and Feathered' !

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for doing that! Now I need to get my terms straight again. Passively bi-amped means an uncrossed signal to two amps, right? Then passively crossed as opposed to actively crossed and then bi-amped?

I would never seriously claim that any kind of bi-anything is audibly superior due to having some idea of how difficult it is to do a fair listening comparison. That plus the fact that speakers are where it's at for sound quality, means that my wire and amp configuration stays put for the same reason your wire and amp configuration stays put: laziness.

The biggest thing that happens after any of that bi stuff is that you end up actually listening to the best music you have thinking about how great it sounds. But I still don't think RichB is crazy.
It's a Monolith 7 amp and I was using it for the sub sections of my towers. Gene suggested trying it. The idea is to use my dsp to dial them in with my subwoofers.

I f*cked it all up. :oops:

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
… Alex, I should have put a smiley on that post, as humor was intended. I know you were joking too when you mentioned a potential improvement. I did set up the Salon2s for passive bi-amping on your dare, but now I really am just too lazy to set everything back to normal, because I'd get no improvement that way either.
Wording it that way only sets you up for a subjectivist-troll-provocateur to claim that one can hear the benefits of bi-amping only after the new wiring pattern has been broken in. Any self-respecting audiophile knows that may take at least 100-300 hours ;). By that time only very few audiophiles could recall what the old wiring arrangement sounded like.
I also enjoy the occasional technical person who comes to the house and asks about the improvement with passive bi-amping, and I'm always surprised that most say, "I wish I could do that. It looks cool." There is that one guy who thinks using 10ga zip cord with Salon2s is some sort of crime against humanity though. He thinks I should switch to Nordost. I told him my wife could do it when I'm in an urn.
I would have thought, for sure, that you'd choose to be buried in one of your Salon2 cabinets, and burn the other :rolleyes:.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I would have thought, for sure, that you'd choose to be buried in one of your Salon2 cabinets, and burn the other :rolleyes:.
No, I don't feel that sort of attachment to the Salon2s, Richard. They were just a purchase decision. Perhaps if I designed them I might feel that way, but all I did was hand over a credit card.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis