So I detail cars...

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Any experience with new finish on older cars? Its also supposed to last a year.
I have not used it no. From what I can tell it's a filler/cleaner polish and protectant in one. I would like to try it, but I also don't want to buy a whole bottle simply for a test.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Another Week, another detail. This time a B day gift for my brother and his wife (birthdays in the same month).

2015 Honda Odyssey
DSC_0432 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Rubber floormats are a life saver.
DSC_0433 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

That was after wiping the spot 3 times with my finger.
DSC_0437 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Could have benefited from a shave.
DSC_0438 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0439 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0440 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0441 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0449 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0452 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0464 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0466 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0474 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0479 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0481 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0484 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0485 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0488 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0491 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Detail time!

My parents were out of town for the week so I jacked their Nissan Leaf and commuted for basically free (when gas is $1.82 a Liter). As a thank you I gave their leaf a good clean inside and out and performed the maintenance it was due for (wipers, cabin air filter, brake service and lubrication).

DSC_1418 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_1422 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_1423 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_1426 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_1428 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_1434 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I detailed another car!

This is a 2018 or so Hyundai Ionic BEV. I've cleaned it once before when it was brand new, but not it's seen some miles, and with winter fast approaching it's time to put a fresh coat of protection on it, and get the interior cleaned up.

DSC_7245 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7249 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7250 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7251 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7252 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7253 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

"engine" bay cleaned with Autoglym Engine and Machine cleaner (spray and rinse, all that was needed).
DSC_7256 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Car was then sprayed with APC to the lowers and grills, and foamed with Autoglym Polar Blast.
DSC_7258 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

After that,the car was washed using the 3 bucket method, clayed, and rinsed down before being brought into the garage for a towel dry. Before I brought the car inside, I tackled the front floor mats as they had a quite a bit of dirt in them.
DSC_7259 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

APC + Extractor Shampoo + Steam Cleaner + Polisher brushing = Gross.
DSC_7260 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Turning our attention to the rest of the interior...
DSC_7262 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7264 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7265 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7266 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7267 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7269 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7272 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7278 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

I didn't get a lot of photos during the interior or polishing phase, as this was a 1 day turn around. Needless to say, the interior was cleaned with APC and then the dash and panels protected with Turtle Wax Ice Interior Protectant (great stuff!). The seats were cleaned with APC (Fake leather type material), beforebeing wiped down with Mothers M-tech leather cleaner and conditioner (also good stuff). Glass was cleaned with Stoners Invisible glass, and then the car was treated to a couple sprays of chemical guys Leather Scent.

The exterior was given a quikc 1 step polish with Meguiars Ultimate Polish on Lake Country White CCS pads. After that, it was given a full wipe down with IPA/Panel wipe, and sealed with Sonac Polymer Net Sheild. After a few hours of curing, it was given a Final wipe down with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer. Here are the afters.
DSC_7280 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7283 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Please note I didn't apply tire shine as it's pouring rain and not really necessary this time of year.
DSC_7287 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7290 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7292 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7294 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7296 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7297 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7298 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7300 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7303 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7305 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7311 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Nice job!

Isn't using a clay bar a bit like chewing gum after eating potato chips?

Just an FYI- I found a scratchless pot and pan cleaner at Ace Hardware and it did a great job of removing the stuff that was stuck to and imbedded in the paint- when it needed rinsing, I just swished it in the bucket of cleaner and it was totally clean. I didn't polish afterward, but the paint is still very smooth, two years later.

This is similar-

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Nice job!

Isn't using a clay bar a bit like chewing gum after eating potato chips?

Just an FYI- I found a scratchless pot and pan cleaner at Ace Hardware and it did a great job of removing the stuff that was stuck to and imbedded in the paint- when it needed rinsing, I just swished it in the bucket of cleaner and it was totally clean. I didn't polish afterward, but the paint is still very smooth, two years later.

This is similar-

Claying is the only way to smooth the paint, with some form of control, besides polishing. Polishing paint smooth is not great for your pads, and if the paint is really bad, you could mar it. I use a clay mitt, so I don't have to worry about dropping it, and just use a strong wash soap concentration in a spray bottle for lubricant. I'm sure that stuff you used works, but without knowing the long term effects, I'll just stick with claying.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
I gotta say it's amazing what a skilled car detailer can do. I think I may invest in a detailer for my wife's Christmas gift. She knows about a 2001 Mustang Cobra I got on auction for her. She doesn't know about the 2008 Mustang GT Convertible that is due to arrive in a day or two. I need to make that baby shine for her for when she opens the garage door for the surprise. Can't afford new for her, but a 2008 with 65k miles for $5k isn't too bad.

Any tips on what I ask the detailer to make sure it's gonna come out right?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I gotta say it's amazing what a skilled car detailer can do. I think I may invest in a detailer for my wife's Christmas gift. She knows about a 2001 Mustang Cobra I got on auction for her. She doesn't know about the 2008 Mustang GT Convertible that is due to arrive in a day or two. I need to make that baby shine for her for when she opens the garage door for the surprise. Can't afford new for her, but a 2008 with 65k miles for $5k isn't too bad.

Any tips on what I ask the detailer to make sure it's gonna come out right?
What you ask of them isn't as important as how good they actually are. There is a lot of Turn and Burn detail shops with low prices that really don't have half a clue on the correct way to use the chemicals and products they have. I would search your area first and see how many shops there are, then view their websites and look at their packages. Put the links in the thread and I'll go over them and see which ones look legit (can usually tell by the brands they use, as some are picky about who gets to apply their product). Check customer reviews but keep a grain of salt handy as there is always some clown trying to rip a business apart for nothing the shop was at fault for.

SheepStar

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

How long is your normal, no rush job? Hate to ask the cost.;)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
How long is your normal, no rush job? Hate to ask the cost.;)
Depends on a lot of factors really. If the car is extremely large, and extremely filthy, it will be more expensive as it takes more time and products to clean. Likewise, if they want something like a ceramic coating applied, it will again be more expensive because the products are more expensive and they're more time consuming to apply. it's also recommended to polish before coating, as the coating will last a long time, and you don't want to "lock in" the swirls and scratches that could be present. This also ensures any old waxes/sealants/coatings that were previously applied are removed, as new coatings need perfectly bare paint in order to bond properly.

Overall, my prices are pretty low, but they're slowly going to go up, as I'm using better products and getting better results, and my time is getting more valuable as the years go by. One thing that helps keep them down is that I usually keep the car the whole weekend, so I don't have to rush. I'd rather offer better rates and not rush than charge higher prices and kill myself trying to make a deadline. I'm also a 1 man crew so every step, even the menial ones, have to be performed by me.

SheepStar

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
with winter fast approaching it's time to put a fresh coat of protection on it
Oh yeah, that's happening again. Our 'new' '08 had a pro detail this summer (the girl won it as a door prize or something) but has a new batch of gunk on everything now. Hopefully the new gunk comes off easy. Thanks for the reminder.

I still have that batch of Poor Boy stuff from years back. :)
Sometimes I even use it! :D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Oh yeah, that's happening again. Our 'new' '08 had a pro detail this summer (the girl won it as a door prize or something) but has a new batch of gunk on everything now. Hopefully the new gunk comes off easy. Thanks for the reminder.

The latest and greatest stuff in paint protection is the Spray On Ceramic Sealants. Turtle Wax, Mothers and Meguairs have really good ones out. Cheap as chips but offer a solid 6 months of protection in some cases.

SheepStar

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Thanks. Been to Vancouver over the years, Had an aunt and uncle up there. Nice city, especially that sunken garden.
Too bad you are so far away. ;)
From pictures I have seen, your final outcome is amazing.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai

I love Poor Boy's products. Learned how to detail and use their products at one of their summer detail events that they held at their warehouse in NY before they moved to Florida. I learned on one of my previous cars, a black Honda Accord. They said my car was the most improved that day. :cool:

They have a polymer sealant now that will last you a solid 6 months. They are coming out with a new coating as well, I'm hoping it's ceramic. I usually detail my own cars as well, but didn't have the time to get to mine this year so had it ceramic coated, with a "3 year" coating. Will see how long it actually lasts.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I love Poor Boy's products. Learned how to detail and use their products at one of their summer detail events that they held at their warehouse in NY before they moved to Florida. I learned on one of my previous cars, a black Honda Accord. They said my car was the most improved that day. :cool:

They have a polymer sealant now that will last you a solid 6 months. They are coming out with a new coating as well, I'm hoping it's ceramic. I usually detail my own cars as well, but didn't have the time to get to mine this year so had it ceramic coated, with a "3 year" coating. Will see how long it actually lasts.
Poorboys has decent products, but they're falling behind the times. They're a subsidiary of Chemical Guys, and there is a lot of rebranding going on with that company. I used their EX sealant when I first started out, it was super easy to use and smelled great. Claimed to last 1 year, but in reality it was starting to lose it's surface tension around 3 months. I'm a sucker for super tight beads with high contact angles, so I'm mainly using ceramic products or stuff from the Sonax line. I still have almost all of my waxes since I started out, but I rarely reach for any of them when the new spray on products are faster, easier, and better in all aspects of their performance.

Sonax Polymer Net Shield beading on my hood after one month on the paint.
DSC_4899 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Anyone out there still detailing cars these days? I have a huge detail coming up this weekend (Dodge Ram 3500 - long box crew cab. I'll be adding to this thread with a write up once it's done.

SheepStar

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Anyone out there still detailing cars these days? I have a huge detail coming up this weekend (Dodge Ram 3500 - long box crew cab. I'll be adding to this thread with a write up once it's done.

SheepStar
I still do my own and my wife's, but not recently. I have some new products (PB's ceramic coating) that I do want to try out though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis