L

lallygagging

Audioholic Intern
Audioholics Online A/V Magazine is a serious e-zine whose intention is to reduce confusion and misconception in the ambience of HiFi Audio. And for this it should be commended.
However, the Audioholics forum is definitely not of the same calibre. The more I learn about this forum, the more I realize it is frequented by adolescent minds who in effect are living the high-school experience of either you are in the inner circle... the ''in crowd''... and you agree with those who dominate the various threads or you are an idiot. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground.
These people resort to ridicule and name-calling. If you have been accepted in the ''in-crowd'' ... meaning that you have agreed with the ''superior'' minds on this forum (I'm guessing that this is the price of admission)... then you are one who ''should be listened to.'' If not then you run the risk of being assigned a name and that aspersions will be made about your intentions and intelligence... and, ultimately, that you should be ignored.
The fact that such a thing as ''dinging'' is even possible renders this forum a discredit to what I believe Audioholics Online A/V Magazine stands for. I know several people who will not post on this forum because they know that the chances are that anything they have to say will automatically be dismissed and discredited and that they run the risk of being ridiculed.
And now, I have to say that I agree with them. The more I learn about the Audioholics forum, the more I realize that it is not a place where I want to waste my time. I will continue to read the magazine because it offers much valuable information. But this is my very last post on Audioholics forum.
Of course, that won't deter the ''in crowd'' from true-to-form defending themselves with even more witty sarcastic posts whose only intention is to belittle.
Perhaps applying the word ''adolescent'' to this forum is too optimistic. Perhaps a better word to use is the word ''puerile.''
There are many other forums that are encouraging and welcome diversity of thinking. Better to spend one's time there.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Audioholics Online A/V Magazine is a serious e-zine whose intention is to reduce confusion and misconception in the ambience of HiFi Audio. And for this it should be commended.
However, the Audioholics forum is definitely not of the same calibre. The more I learn about this forum, the more I realize it is frequented by adolescent minds who in effect are living the high-school experience of either you are in the inner circle... the ''in crowd''... and you agree with those who dominate the various threads or you are an idiot. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground.
These people resort to ridicule and name-calling. If you have been accepted in the ''in-crowd'' ... meaning that you have agreed with the ''superior'' minds on this forum (I'm guessing that this is the price of admission)... then you are one who ''should be listened to.'' If not then you run the risk of being assigned a name and that aspersions will be made about your intentions and intelligence... and, ultimately, that you should be ignored.
The fact that such a thing as ''dinging'' is even possible renders this forum a discredit to what I believe Audioholics Online A/V Magazine stands for.
Apparently, the system works. People who put faith in a label, have thin skin and no sense of humor probably won't "fit in" and will have to play on the monkey bars instead of the swings; aka there isn't an "in crowd", just those who are able to discuss and both agree and DISagree. You also came to the forum and asked something completely off the wall regarding an article that was CLEARLY a fun poke at a snake oil product; an article which is COMPLETELY in holding with the themes professed by Audioholics. To expect a "warm" reception for something like that was reaching, sort of like the new kid having green hair. To be honest, I find this forum to be more friendly that others.

I know several people who will not post on this forum because they know that the chances are that anything they have to say will automatically be dismissed and discredited and that they run the risk of being ridiculed.
And now, I have to say that I agree with them. The more I learn about the Audioholics forum, the more I realize that it is not a place where I want to waste my time.
Interesting, because I feel the same way about certain "other" forums. You didn't come here and offer any information or make a serious attempt to include yourself or add to the knowledge and experience of this forum, even with a different point of view.

Perhaps applying the word ''adolescent'' to this forum is too optimistic. Perhaps a better word to use is the word ''puerile.''
There are many other forums that are encouraging and welcome diversity of thinking. Better to spend one's time there.
Ironically, kids (boisterous or not) seem to have it right - just do it, don't worry about what others think because it doesn't matter. Society and the individual place that stigma into our psyche that you have to be part of the "in crowd" to be accepted or to enjoy yourself.

But this is my very last post on Audioholics forum. Of course, that won't deter the ''in crowd'' from true-to-form defending themselves with even more witty sarcastic posts whose only intention is to belittle.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lallygagging

Audioholic Intern
Well, one last post and THEN I'm out of here.
I notice that this forum which completely and totally disparages the idea that hi-end cables can make a considerable difference in sound quality has no problem with advertising them on its webpages.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I notice that this forum which completely and totally disparages the idea that hi-end cables can make a considerable difference in sound quality has no problem with advertising them on its webpages.
Now that I agree with :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
They do look better and if you have deep pockets, you might want to consider them for aesthetics reasons :D.
At the same time site is pretty open on how they don't add anything to sound quality* :)

(* vs correctly sized and terminated much cheaper cords)

And if these companies choose to ignore AH stance on expensive cable and still advertise here, who would be the wiser and NOT take their money. Keep in mind - someone has to pay the bills and it's not you or me.

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
The regulars here understand that business is business and it does not taint the AH manifesto or ethics.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
As I understand upcoming premium features and content will not stop running vast majority of the site and content for free.
I know, I kid I kid :D

If I'm remembering correctly I think Gene or someone said that the premium content money would help fund more projects, reviews, articles and giveaways.

L

lallygagging

Audioholic Intern
Well, I here I am again... letting myself get hooked in for one more post!

In response to J-Garcia,

1. The system works for YOU and others (so long as those others are people who don't dissent).

2. It has not yet been established that those products are in fact snake oil. That they may be is only an opinion that is not not corroborated... neither by measurement nor even by trial. It is just empty assumption based on nothing.

3. I originally simply asked a question which was not taken seriously enough by the other posters to warrant an appropriate and honest answer. And if you seriously think that I did not offer a different point of view, then there are three possibilities:
a) you didn't read what I posted
b) you did read what I posted, but you didn't understand it
c) English is not your first language (humor)

4. Other forums are just fine without your input (as this one will be without mine)

5. You obviously don't know what the word ''puerile'' means (evidence perhaps that English really isn't your first language?), so you might want to look it up... that is if you are openminded enough to allow yourself to learn something new... from me.

Now I am sure that the forum monitors will close this thread due to the fact that strong disagreement and debate is not really appreciated on the Audioholics forum.
(But insults and ridicule are)

No matter, I will not let myself be baited into responding anymore. That's a solemn promise I make to myself.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I here I am again... letting myself get hooked in for one more post!

In response to J-Garcia,

1. The system works for YOU and others (so long as those others are people who don't dissent).

2. It has not yet been established that those products are in fact snake oil. That they may be is only an opinion that is not not corroborated... neither by measurement nor even by trial. It is just empty assumption based on nothing.

3. I originally simply asked a question which was not taken seriously enough by the other posters to warrant an appropriate and honest answer. And if you seriously think that I did not offer a different point of view, then there are three possibilities:
a) you didn't read what I posted
b) you did read what I posted, but you didn't understand it
c) English is not your first language (humor)

4. Other forums are just fine without your input (as this one will be without mine)

5. You obviously don't know what the word ''puerile'' means (evidence perhaps that English really isn't your first language?), so you might want to look it up... that is if you are openminded enough to allow yourself to learn something new... from me.

Now I am sure that the forum monitors will close this thread due to the fact that strong disagreement and debate is not really appreciated on the Audioholics forum.
(But insults and ridicule are)

No matter, I will not let myself be baited into responding anymore. That's a solemn promise I make to myself.
Why don't you ask Nasa to prove Bigfoot exists too? (of course on another forum).

The only thing your LAME, condescending remarks confirm are your lack of true intelligence. Good riddance.

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
I lost 300+ reputation points for posting in the 'power amp' thread in the amplifier forum. There was nothing technically wrong with my statements, but I got a poor rating.

Perhaps it was gene. :(

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure mods give out rep, so I kind of doubt it. Most likely a member who has a decent amount of rep. to drop you that much. Don't worry about it, just continue to contribute positively and it will change; plus it doesn't really mean much. I know it sucks to see that.

Mods, could we at least change the lower level rep tags to something less "offensive"?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I lost 300+ reputation points for posting in the 'power amp' thread in the amplifier forum. There was nothing technically wrong with my statements, but I got a poor rating.

I'd not worry about it. I'm sure if you are helpful then someone will make up for it. ;)

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Some ones been having fun at the exapence of everyone else's reputation I'm getting sick and tired of it who ever it is really needs to stop doing it!
(Example this clown has been going for a while I laugh at who ever it is cause it doesn't bother me the slightest ill leave the forum before you upset me)

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

There's an easy fix for that. Go to the member list and sort by reputation. Suck up to anyone on the first two pages of results. Many of those people have enough reputation power (>1100 points) to take someone from "forum idiot" to "should be listened to". You could also change your name to Adam, since users named Adam seem to have a lot of reputation points. :D

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
I found my idioit that keeps negging me so when he reads this he should feel pretty stupid for jumping in and picking on another forum member I believe I've had a run in with said person once before

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis