single svs pb2000 or dual svs pb1000's?

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
That's basically it. I'm getting further along with planning my home-theather/listening room re-do. I've got Angstrom Suono on-walls for the back 4 speakers that I'm keeping, I'm now VERY much leaning towards Paradigm Premier 700f's for the L and R and the 600C for the center channel. I WAS going to go 800's for the front, but after speaking to the dealer here that demos Paradigm, he said as long as you get a decent sub setup then that takes care of the main difference between the 800f and 700f, the lowest end..so why not save $500 Cdn. So, my next thoughts are whether or not I go with ONE sub, in which case I lean towards the SVS PB2000, or Duals, in which case budget comes into play a bit, and I'd get SVS PB1000's.

Love your input on all that. Thanks in advance.

Just for full disclosure, Here's the other intended gear:
Denon AVRX-2600h or AVR-S960H
PC for playback of movies and FLAC level audio. It's a good budget gaming PC, so it will be able to handle the output for movies and music.
Epson HC3800 projector.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
All the stuff you told us id great but most importantly is the Room Size???

I'd go with One really good Sub over Two OK subs myself

Last edited:
LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
Sorry, it's a big room, open basement area. The HT area itself is about 12 x 20 I'd say, but the overall room size is about 30 x 20

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd go with largest dual subs I could afford in a space that size. Too bad Hsu is probably not going to work for you in Canada, a pair of VTF-3 mk5s would be my suggestion in the US.

FLAC is just a lossless audio container to save file space....it can be anything from mp3 to 16/44.1 to higher res. You might also consider an avr with pre-outs for amplification flexibility....

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Sorry, it's a big room, open basement area. The HT area itself is about 12 x 20 I'd say, but the overall room size is about 30 x 20
The 1000 wont do anything. You need Big. Keep saving

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Question, you referred to the surrounds as backs. Is they layout different from spec?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Also you are investing in nice speakers, don't skimp on the subs, as they makeup a huge portion of the HT experience.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
All the stuff you told us id great but most importantly is the Room Size???

I'd go with One really good Sub over Two OK subs myself

Agreed.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I agree that two SVS PB1000's aren't that impactful. Not bad of course but agree to save a little longer for something better

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
I'd go with largest dual subs I could afford in a space that size. Too bad Hsu is probably not going to work for you in Canada, a pair of VTF-3 mk5s would be my suggestion in the US.

FLAC is just a lossless audio container to save file space....it can be anything from mp3 to 16/44.1 to higher res. You might also consider an avr with pre-outs for amplification flexibility....
Thanks, I'll look into the upgrade on the sub side. I could go with a PB2000, or if the price is right, a 3000.

On a nit-picky note FLAC is actually it's own codec. It stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec. It's similar to MP3 but it's completely lossless...so no information is sacrificed or compressed. That's why audiophiles like it. ***Edit, sorry, you DID say lossless already, my bad.***

But thanks for your help here. I've looked into the HSU's and yeah, hard to get in Canada without paying TOO much for them.

Last edited:
LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
If it helps, here's what the room looks like. Forgive the teenage hockey crap everywhere...sigh
20200427_220131.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, I'll look into the upgrade on the sub side. I could go with a PB2000, or if the price is right, a 3000.

On a nit-picky note FLAC is actually it's own codec. It stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec. It's similar to MP3 but it's completely lossless...so no information is sacrificed or compressed. That's why audiophiles like it. ***Edit, sorry, you DID say lossless already, my bad.***

But thanks for your help here. I've looked into the HSU's and yeah, hard to get in Canada without paying TOO much for them.
Flac can be a variety of formats losslessly encoded was the point...it doesn't indicate a particular "quality"

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
Flac can be a variety of formats losslessly encoded was the point...it doesn't indicate a particular "quality"
Not sure I understand. I'm under the impression that, if you want excellent recordings online, you get FLAC as they're lossless. For example, FLAC album releases. I use HD58x jubilee headphones from Sennheiser/Drop with an amp/dac, and listening to FLAC files I've gotten, they sure as heck SOUND pretty flawless and high-end, exactly like a CD. Am I missing something?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure I understand. I'm under the impression that, if you want excellent recordings online, you get FLAC as they're lossless. For example, FLAC album releases. I use HD58x jubilee headphones from Sennheiser/Drop with an amp/dac, and listening to FLAC files I've gotten, they sure as heck SOUND pretty flawless and high-end, exactly like a CD. Am I missing something?
FLAC just means the file was compressed losslessly...the original file can be of various qualty lvels as I mentioned. Provenance of the FLAC file isn't necessarily apparent.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
How come? It gets really good reviews from what I've seen.
Most of the Reviews I've seen are words coming from GoldenEar's own Review about their Product. Yes It seems to be a good performing Sub for its Small Size.
But I'm hanging my Hat on SVS's Customer Service and Support, which is Outstanding.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis