Simple 12" Infinity Kappa VQ MidQ Plans

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Got both my subs today, just thought I'd throw that out there.
;)
As im sure your well aware... This is the internet..

...And saying something like that is worthless without pics! :D

A

armstrr

Junior Audioholic
i picked up my 12vq s today. they are substantially heavier than the 12.1 s. they are now at home in their boxes waiting to get placed.

question. i plan on driving both subs with one channel of the ep2500, so they will be mono. i'm thinking about staking the subs in one of the front corners for two reasons. 1st is because they will fit best that way and 2nd i plan to let my receivers automatic room correction (denon 2809ci with Audyssey) do the eq'ing/setup. I think placing two subs at different locations might make the eq/phase/timing setup harder (or impossible) for Audyssey as compared to stacked.

so since these are mono anyway, is there any downside to stacking that would make me consider placing them in the front two corners? (i might be able to make them fit in the front left/right corners, but the left side will be verrrrrrrry tight)

annunaki

annunaki

You can run them mono and run one on each channel of the EP2500.

You simply run the summed input mode on the amplifier.

That will allow the best use of the amplifier. You will run approximately 650 watts per sub (which is plenty for most users).

Properly placing two subs prior to running eq or room optimization will make the EQ's job easier as opposed to placing them in one location. There will be less variance between peaks and nulls in response to try and correct.

i picked up my 12vq s today. they are substantially heavier than the 12.1 s. they are now at home in their boxes waiting to get placed.

question. i plan on driving both subs with one channel of the ep2500, so they will be mono. i'm thinking about staking the subs in one of the front corners for two reasons. 1st is because they will fit best that way and 2nd i plan to let my receivers automatic room correction (denon 2809ci with Audyssey) do the eq'ing/setup. I think placing two subs at different locations might make the eq/phase/timing setup harder (or impossible) for Audyssey as compared to stacked.

so since these are mono anyway, is there any downside to stacking that would make me consider placing them in the front two corners? (i might be able to make them fit in the front left/right corners, but the left side will be verrrrrrrry tight)

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai

That will allow the best use of the amplifier. You will run approximately 650 watts per sub (which is plenty for most users).

Properly placing two subs prior to running eq or room optimization will make the EQ's job easier as opposed to placing them in one location. There will be less variance between peaks and nulls in response to try and correct.
EP2500 WARNING

The EP2500 has a flaw when using a single input and then feeding both channels from that single input with the appropriate DIP switch configuration. One channel will receive a different strength signal in this case. It is a well known flaw. You must use Y adapter and send an identical signal to each input if you want to use this amp in 2 channel mode with a mono signal.

-Chris

A

armstrr

Junior Audioholic

ohhhh, don't worry, i'm planning getting max bang/buck out of the ep2500. i am going to wye the sub out so both inputs are fed. the sub channel will also get a 20hz fmod. if i am correct, i should be able to run this channel at 2ohms by running 2 sets of wires from the l/r posts of one of the amp channels, correct? this should give me 1200watts @ 2ohms.
the other channel will be driving 2 4ohm buttkickers, so it too will be 1200watts at 2 ohms.

does that make more sense? the beauty of this (i hope!!!) is that i sold the buttkicker amp i had for about the same price as i picked up the ep2500 for!

if you look at it that way, you don't even want to know what my out of pocket expense was these subs build

annunaki

annunaki

EP2500 WARNING

The EP2500 has a flaw when using a single input and then feeding both channels from that single input with the appropriate DIP switch configuration. One channel will receive a different strength signal in this case. It is a well known flaw. You must use Y adapter and send an identical signal to each input if you want to use this amp in 2 channel mode with a mono signal.

-Chris
Thanks Chris!!!! I was not aware of that!

annunaki

annunaki

ohhhh, don't worry, i'm planning getting max bang/buck out of the ep2500. i am going to wye the sub out so both inputs are fed. the sub channel will also get a 20hz fmod. if i am correct, i should be able to run this channel at 2ohms by running 2 sets of wires from the l/r posts of one of the amp channels, correct? this should give me 1200watts @ 2ohms.
the other channel will be driving 2 4ohm buttkickers, so it too will be 1200watts at 2 ohms.

does that make more sense? the beauty of this (i hope!!!) is that i sold the buttkicker amp i had for about the same price as i picked up the ep2500 for!

if you look at it that way, you don't even want to know what my out of pocket expense was these subs build
That makes more sense. Do you really need 1200 watts rms for butt kickers?

Matt34

Matt34

Just dropped the plans off to my builder, should have the subs done by this weekend!!:D Now I need to find so rockwool and in a hurry!

A

armstrr

Junior Audioholic
dohhhh! i was tightening down the binding posts on the ep2500 for the first time and i twisted on right off!! anyone know if they can be replaced?? that or i'll have to see if that twistlock type speaker connector can be used. dang

Matt34

Matt34

This may have been asked already but can the rockwool be subsituded with 1/2" soundboard? I have looked and called everyone in town and cannot locate any rockwool.

R

ras123

Enthusiast
I am having the same issue, can not find rockwool or oc 705 anywhere, at least not for less than 120- for several sheets. I only need enough for the build, does anyone know where to get it in this amount?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
This may have been asked already but can the rockwool be subsituded with 1/2" soundboard? I have looked and called everyone in town and cannot locate any rockwool.
the local insulation/airconditioning companies can't sell you the stuff?

maybe if you look for fiberglass instead? (could be a no-no for ported subs)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis