Simple 12" Infinity Kappa VQ MidQ Plans

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm looking at the Peavey IPR 1600, and it's definitely more in my price range compared to a Crown amp. It's rated for 2x 900watts RMS @ 2 ohms, does that sound like something that would be suitable for my setup? To me it looks good, but I'm not the experienced one here... haha
That's probably fine for your subs.

pmcenaney

pmcenaney

Audioholic Intern
Ok thanks, anyone have any opinions on the quality of this amp, or a similar/slightly better alternative? Also, I just started my cutting for the enclosure last night, and was wondering what the consensus was for the best method to put it together, my plan was construction adhesive and nails/staples, to minimize the amount of wood filler I'd need to use, what was everyone else's method on here? I've decided to build it with some nice looking birch so I don't want to have too many marks on the surface.

pmcenaney

pmcenaney

Audioholic Intern
Well... I'm certainly pretty bummed out now. I just found the cuts I had sitting in the utility room sitting in a puddle of water that leaked in from the heavy rain we just had.... Talk about a kick in the teeth. Most of it is ruined, which leaves me having to go out and purchase 2 more sheets of $80+ dollar plywood and start over. After looking at pictures of the 2 boxes that weng made I'm thinking I might change my design a bit.
Since I can't afford a veneer and I'm not big on just using edge banding to hide the plywood edges, I'm thinking of cutting my face pieces on a 45 so I don't have any edges showing. Will this still be structurally strong enough? And do the following measurements seem right?

Front Baffle: 22 1/2" x 25 1/2"
Rear Baffle: 22 1/2" x 25 1/2"
Sides: 22 1/2" x 25 1/2"

Instead of:

Front Baffle: 21" x 24"
Rear Baffle: 22 1/2" x 24"
Sides: 21 3/4" x 24"

Thanks,

Patrick

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Well... I'm certainly pretty bummed out now. I just found the cuts I had sitting in the utility room sitting in a puddle of water that leaked in from the heavy rain we just had.... Talk about a kick in the teeth. Most of it is ruined, which leaves me having to go out and purchase 2 more sheets of $80+ dollar plywood and start over. After looking at pictures of the 2 boxes that weng made I'm thinking I might change my design a bit.
Since I can't afford a veneer and I'm not big on just using edge banding to hide the plywood edges, I'm thinking of cutting my face pieces on a 45 so I don't have any edges showing. Will this still be structurally strong enough? And do the following measurements seem right?

Front Baffle: 22 1/2" x 25 1/2"
Rear Baffle: 22 1/2" x 25 1/2"
Sides: 22 1/2" x 25 1/2"

Instead of:

Front Baffle: 21" x 24"
Rear Baffle: 22 1/2" x 24"
Sides: 21 3/4" x 24"

Thanks,

Patrick
There are several techniques for hiding plywood edges. the 45 degree should. Of course you can also use the quarter round technique. This requires rabbeting the wood.

pmcenaney

pmcenaney

Audioholic Intern
There are several techniques for hiding plywood edges. the 45 degree should. Of course you can also use the quarter round technique. This requires rabbeting the wood.
Yeah, I've thought about the 1/4 round too, but also like the nice clean edges of doing it with a 45. Do you see any flaws with my modified dimensions? If not, I'm going to make up a drawing based on them and have them cut. The water damage, combined with an issue with the lumber supplier I purchased the wood from has left me pretty frustrated haha. I'm likely just going to pay to have it CNC'ed to avoid any further headaches...

pmcenaney

pmcenaney

Audioholic Intern
Anyone who's done the flush mount on this, did you end up accounting for the added displacement by changing some box dimensions? I'm planning on flush mounting mine. And didn't want to play around with different dimensions. I was going to just take 3/4" off of my small brace.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Anyone who's done the flush mount on this, did you end up accounting for the added displacement by changing some box dimensions? I'm planning on flush mounting mine. And didn't want to play around with different dimensions. I was going to just take 3/4" off of my small brace.
The right way to do this would be to simply add a second sheet of plywood to the front baffle. It will also strengthen the front baffle and add more rigidity. Which is a good thing.

mhuk

mhuk

Audiophyte
Could someone post their winISD settings for the cabinet and filters? When I run winISD for the cabinet and port sizes given, for an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12, I get different graphs to the ones shown in post #1

It'll help me choose a driver as the Infinity isn't available in the UK, so looking at an Eminence Lab 12 or a Peerless XXXLS12 driver

A

armstrr

Junior Audioholic
ok, so i built two of these subs a couple years ago, and i was plenty happy. i ran it with the recommended ep2500 amp and it was fed by a denon 2809ci.

i just rreceived a new denon x4000 which has has the ability to calibrate 2 subs. in my previous set up i stacked the subs and used one channel of the amp to feed both subs and the other to feed a couple of bass shakers.

now that i have the ability audyssey sub eq, i plan to move the other sub to the other side of the room, cause...thats just the right thing to do! but that means, each of the subs will need an amp channel. that is no problem as i happen to hav an amp with one blown channel, so i can run the bass shakers with it and use the ep2500's 2 channels, one for each sub. but if memory serves me correct, isn't the impedance of these subs a problem for this amp? or am i over thinking it...can i just hook them up and go?

thanks in advance

Haoleb

Haoleb

Yes it is. The 12VQ is single 4 ohm and the 12dVQ is dual 4 ohm.

But, Neither one of them is available anymore except used.

Shaunk

Shaunk

Audiophyte
I have a pair of these cabinets built out of 3/4 Baltic birch if anyone is interested in buying them. I just built them about 2 month ago and will no longer work in my application . I can upload pictures if anyone is interested.

I am in the Nebraska area .

Matt34

Matt34

I have a pair of these cabinets built out of 3/4 Baltic birch if anyone is interested in buying them. I just built them about 2 month ago and will no longer work in my application . I can upload pictures if anyone is interested.

I am in the Nebraska area .
Where at in NE? I'm driving through next week from CO to IA.

Matt34

Matt34

Can you send me pics and asking price? I'll be driving through on Wednesday and could pick them up. Had a pair of these subs a few years ago, top 3 subs I've ever owned.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

hello folks.

i have 2 of these, built a good while ago. i just replaced them with 2 ULTIMAX 18'S in 14cf ported each.

the condo i used to live in had massive room gain. my new house, been here 5 years now, has almost 0 room gain.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis