Silicon Image Releases First HDMI 1.3 Chips

T

Tawnos

Banned
So if Dolby themselves say that Dolby TruHD can be passed through HDMI 1.1 since it's specs go up to 192 kHz
You said this yet.

Both Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD bitstreams are transportable over version 1.3 of HDMI™ and are compatible with HDMI v.1.1 as decoded PCM output signals for A/V receivers.
There is a big difference.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Just to clear up confusion,
from Dolby Audio Coding for Future Entertainment Formats that I posted earlier
Line output---------Two-, six-, eight-channel analog
S/PDIF-------------Two-channel PCM, Dolby Digital
HDMI 1.1-----------Two-, six-, eight-channel PCM, Dolby Digital
HDMI 1.3 (future)---Two-, six-, eight-channel PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
cheers:)

T

Tawnos

Banned
You show me a twice.com article that says Dolby TruHD is 768khz, I show you a quote feom Dolby themselves that says:
Does that not add up when you send a signal? 8CH at 96khz = 768khz total?

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Tawnos said:
Does that not add up when you send a signal? 8CH at 96khz = 768khz total?
No khz is frequency not bitrate. multiple channels doesn't add to the sampling fq

T

Tawnos

Banned
No khz is frequency not bitrate. multiple channels doesn't add to the sampling fq
So why am I reading so much about 768khz? Can you take a DD-HD signal and sample it up to 768khz?

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Here is how audio is used in HD players

So in this situation the best quality signal is the 6 channel PCM(so your receiver can apply bass management and room correction etc.) or analogue

L

LEVESQUE

Junior Audioholic
I just finished listening to Training Days in Dolby TrueHD 5.1 over HDMI 1.1.

Toshiba HD-A1 just updated to firmware 2.0 and Anthem Statement D2. Dolby TrueHD 5.1 over HDMI 1.1. :D

Last edited:
M

MAX661

Audioholic
That's Funny Levesque,

I just finished upgrading my HDDVD player to firmware 2.0 and watched about half of Training Day playing Dolby TrueHD 5.1 hooked up to my Denon 5805 through HDMI 1.1

The sound is awesome, I am sure we will get some other spin to his story now. lol

Have fun and enjoy it, I know I am.

L

LEVESQUE

Junior Audioholic
MAX661 said:
Have fun and enjoy it, I know I am.
:D I will watch POTO tonight in Dolby TrueHD 5.1 with my wife. It was already a really good soundtrack in Dolby TrueHD 2.0 before the update, so now with true 5.1 ouput that soundtrack will just get better!

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Can you clarify how it is played over the HDMI 1.1?

Is the Toshiba decoding to 6 channel PCM and sending it through the HDMI 1.1 to the receiver?

M

MAX661

Audioholic
MACCA350 said:
Can you clarify how it is played over the HDMI 1.1?

Is the Toshiba decoding to 6 channel PCM and sending it through the HDMI 1.1 to the receiver?

Yes the Toshiba player does the decoding and sends the PCM stream over HDMI to the receiver. Sounds great!

L

LEVESQUE

Junior Audioholic
MACCA350 said:
Yes. I'm not using a receiver, but a pre/pro...

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Thats what I thought.

You guys are making me jealous:( Being Down Under we're always the last to stick our hand in the cookie jar;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis