Silicon Image Releases First HDMI 1.3 Chips

L

LEVESQUE

Junior Audioholic
Tawnos said:
I am right and you are wrong, what did I just say? "Your hi def DVD player can NOT output a 1080p signal!" which your toshiba can not, end of story.
No, but my Samsung BD-P1000 (Blu-ray) does output 1080p over HDMI 1.1 to my scaler, and then 1080p60 out from my scaler over HDMI 1.1 to my Sony Ruby. :D

T

Tawnos

Banned
MAX661 did you not read any of the links? I will say this one more time "You can not pass a 1080p video signal and a 5.1+ lossless audio signal over the same cable(non HDMI 1.3)!" I don't understand what you are arguing here?

Last edited:
T

Tawnos

Banned
No, but my Samsung BD-P1000 (Blu-ray) does
Don't start on the blu ray crap because you are using a single layer and only mpeg 2 video so I also see that as pointless.

T

Tawnos

Banned
I find it funny that these HDMI 1.1 fan boys are trying to hang onto a product that will be out dated with in a few months.

L

LEVESQUE

Junior Audioholic
Tawnos said:
Don't start on the blu ray crap because you are using a single layer and only mpeg 2 video so I also see that as pointless.
I know I know... But I still get 1080p over HDMI 1.1 from it. :D Point proven. ;)

T

Tawnos

Banned
I know I know... But I still get 1080p over HDMI 1.1 from it. Point proven.
Well the resoulution does not make up for the poor video.

T

Tawnos

Banned
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=1683

The Samsung puts out a 1080p video signal, theoretically the best choice if your TV can accept that resolution, since both Blu-ray Discs and HD DVDs carry their video as 1080p. However, Samsung confirmed for us that the BD-P1000 converts video from the disc to 1080i before converting it back to 1080p for output. The same conversion is performed whether you use 1080p from the player or output 1080i and let the display convert the signal to 1080p internally.
Looks like I am still right.

L

LEVESQUE

Junior Audioholic
Tawnos said:
Looks like I am still right.
No. The Samsung is outputting 1080p, no matter what it does internally. ;) 1080p is 1080p, nothing else. The signal is coming out of the player at 1080p, and over HDMI 1.1.

LOL. Ok. My last post in this thread. Have a nice day, and while you spin everything the way you want, I will go enjoy 1080p to my 1080p projector, and all my 1080p encoded HD-DVD and Blu-ray disks over only 1 HDMI 1.1 cable for both audio and video. :D

Have fun.

T

Tawnos

Banned
I can not prove you fan boys wrong anymore since I have proven you wrong on every point and you still do not get it. Anything gained in the blu ray player is lost when it dumps the video down to 1080i and then further information is lost when it is uped to 1080p so what is the point? But I guess I will wait for a proper hi def player so I can get a proper 1080p video signal and FULL lossless audio but it will not matter to you since you do not get lossless audio at this point.

M

MAX661

Audioholic
Tawnos said:
I can not prove you fan boys wrong anymore since I have proven you wrong on every point and you still do not get it. Anything gained in the blu ray player is lost when it dumps the video down to 1080i and then further information is lost when it is uped to 1080p so what is the point? But I guess I will wait for a proper hi def player so I can get a proper 1080p video signal and FULL lossless audio but it will not matter to you since you do not get lossless audio at this point.
Have fun, and by the way you haven't proved anyone wrong. You have only made yourself look uninformed.

Your answers are "your wrong" "what's the point" "blah, blah, blah". I suppose in the next couple of weeks when Toshiba's 2.0 Firmware comes out which will provide FULL 5.1 Dolby TruHD to the player we will still not be hearing it...lol your a joke.

Have fun waiting for the next year or so, Then when HDMI 1.4 is announced we can do this all over. lol

M

MAX661

Audioholic
Tawnos said:
MAX661 did you not read any of the links? I will say this one more time "You can not pass a 1080p video signal and a 5.1+ lossless audio signal over the same cable(non HDMI 1.3)!" I don't understand what you are arguing here?
Lets see I post a link DIRECTLY to the dolby digital website that states you are wrong and uninformed. You post a link to:

According to Silicon Image, the HDMI transport is able to handle 24Mbps of audio speed, suitable for any of the proposed audio formats from either disc format, including DTS HD Master Audio. However, the version 1.3 HDMI specification would enable the players to output those audio formats over HDMI for them to be decoded externally, by a future A/V receiver capable to do so, for example, IF ONE PREFERS SO!

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MAX661

Audioholic
Your own link states what we do, it is available right now... Now you can go back to your "Ya but I want it done in the receiver, not the player mumbo jumbo!"

T

Tawnos

Banned
However, the version 1.3 HDMI specification would enable the players to output those audio formats over HDMI for them to be decoded externally, by a future A/V receiver capable to do so,
Who in their right mind wants to use a PCM signal? Why don't you do that with a regular DVD and see what sounds better.

I suppose in the next couple of weeks when Toshiba's 2.0 Firmware comes out which will provide FULL 5.1 Dolby TruHD to the player we will still not be hearing it...lol your a joke.
So where is this magic increase in bandwidth that the HDMI 1.1/1.2 output will need in order to do this?

M

MAX661

Audioholic
You continue to surprise me by posting information that makes you look worse. I will take a few quotes from the avs link you provided:

Should I Wait for Next Generation Players and Receivers That Support HDMI 1.3?

The HD-A1 and HD-XA1 players are HDMI 1.1 and as of today there are no receivers or processors which support 1.3. So you might be wondering if it is better to wait until players and receivers that support 1.3 become available. A personal choice, but this information may help you decide.

The November 2005 issue of Widescreen Review had a very good article titled "Dolby Audio Coding for Future Entertainment Formats"The article goes on to discuss the multi-channel analog audio and multi-channel digital LPCM over HDMI connection options and says "A connection through either of these existing interfaces will let you experience the full potential of the high-resolution audio delivered on next-generation optical formats."

Given all of that, there may be no reason to wait for HDMI 1.3 to get better audio. You should be able to get higher quality sound from these new formats now. With currently available HDMI 1.1 connections you can have a single cable passing high quality multi-channel digital sound to your receiver or processor.

You are a very funny guy and I enjoy this back and forth but I suggest you read your articles before you post them in your defense. Again I will ask, what equipment are you using?, what is your background in the Home Theater field?

T

Tawnos

Banned
You take one quote about PCM and that changes nothing. Like I said the first tweak to getting better sound is to make sure your current DVD player is not set to PCM. If you want to nickle and dime a HD operation that is fine but the rest of us are smart enough to wait.

M

MAX661

Audioholic
You show me a twice.com article that says Dolby TruHD is 768khz, I show you a quote feom Dolby themselves that says:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
{Taken from Dolby Website}
Dolby TrueHD is a lossless audio technology designed for the new high-definition packaged media. Only Dolby TrueHD guarantees lossless HD audio playback from every HD DVD player and from supporting Blu-ray Disc players, and Dolby TrueHD also offers the most efficient lossless coding available. It supports up to eight channels (7.1-channel surround) of 24-bit/96 kHz audio, with expandability to accommodate more channels in the future while retaining compatibility with all Dolby TrueHD decoders. (For fewer than eight channels, Dolby TrueHD allows sampling frequencies as high as 192 kHz.) Dolby TrueHD gives content creators new capabilities to position sounds for the most realistic effects. And with audio playback that is bit-for-bit identical to the highest-resolution studio masters, listeners experience sound as stunning as the high-definition picture.

Both Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD bitstreams are transportable over version 1.3 of HDMI™ and are compatible with HDMI v.1.1 as decoded PCM output signals for A/V receivers. HDMI is the new single-cable digital connection for high-definition audio and video that eliminates the confusion of multiple connectors
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if Dolby themselves say that Dolby TruHD can be passed through HDMI 1.1 since it's specs go up to 192 kHz what is there to argue, Frankly I am done with this because you are pointless to argue with. I see you dodge my questions to you yet again but I will ask 1 more time. What equipment are YOU using, and what background do you have in the Home Theater field. Having an arguement like this with someone like Gene or Clint woupld be pointless as they clearly would no more about the subject and studied the actual facts from the makers themselves {Dolby and DTS} but with a background on your knowledge I am going to side with what DOLBY themselves releases and says is compatible.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Tawnos said:
You take one quote about PCM and that changes nothing. Like I said the first tweak to getting better sound is to make sure your current DVD player is not set to PCM. If you want to nickle and dime a HD operation that is fine but the rest of us are smart enough to wait.
Did no-one read my post or the links therein?

The new formats are completely different to DVD in the way the new audio tracks work
the fact that players will be mixing the audio internally means that it will no longer be possible (or necessary) to output raw audio bitstreams from the player as is typical with DVD-Video
In addition, it will be necessary to select HD discs in which the content maker has permitted the core 5.1 or 7.1 audio bitstreams to bypass the player’s mixing process and be sent directly to the digital outputs of the player. We expect that certain HD discs will permit this, but they may represent a minority of titles.
So even if your equipment had HDMI 1.3 and your receiver could decode TrueHD, the disc your playing more than likely wont let you, read the links and you will soon see why.

cheers:)

M

MAX661

Audioholic
Tawnos said:
I took about 4 quotes just from the first couple paragraphs in that discussion, I can take many many more but why waste the time on someone who is closed minded, the point was you post a link to back up your claims and the entire first page goes directly against what you have been saying.

Like Levesque said, continue to spin my words however you want to but the facts remain the same.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis