Should You Use Cables as Tone Controls?

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Complete nonsense. Once the speaker cable is terminated to a low impedance load (aka. Speaker), the antenna effect is eliminated.
As an audio frequency transmission line, yes it's a low impedance.
But as a radio frequency antenna, no it's not a low impedance.
I'll stick with interference experts like:
Keith Armstrong
Jim Brown
Henry Ott (RIP)
or see Chapter 22 of Bob Cordell's book:
"Designing Audio Power Amplifiers" 2nd ed.

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
Well how about a condensed version so I don't have to buy the book and then give it away.

I'll do the Bible.

So, In the beginning, you choose up or down, before the end. See it's simple. :)
The beginning, the middle, and the end.

Stereos are UP and Yoko Ono's music is DOWN. Purgatory might have Engelbert Humperdink. A few years of that you might just opt for hell.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
"Skeptics dismiss cable audibility as a “snake-oil claim” partly on the grounds that certain measurements—for example, of RLC (resistance, inductance, and capacitance) and FR (frequency response)— do not reveal meaningful differences between cables. Also cables are viewed as non-distorting linear networks between components that can be characterized by fixed transfer functions. However, as shown here, such views of how cables operate are incomplete and incorrect." (from 1. Introduction, page 1)

That would be you NINaudio, incomplete, incorrect, and inappropriate as usual. Next time watch the video or read the papers I post. Gotta put the block on you again, good luck with your audio whatever.
I read the paper you posted. It basically leads one to conclude that more research may be needed to see if there is anything going on that is audible. It DOES NOT support any claims that you or Danny make/have made. You are quite simply cherry picking the handful of sentences in that paper that support your view.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
If I connected a $300K system with bubble gum and tape it would sound good. I still think a round table with some scientists who are outside the "industry" would be very interesting for members. These scientists in a university setting clearly have no dog in the race because getting papers like that published isn't easy and if your data gets shot down good luck getting published again. I think you would have the right questions to make this important research interesting, not dry like reading those white papers.
Bubblegum and tape are non conductive. It won't work.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
As an audio frequency transmission line, yes it's a low impedance.
But as a radio frequency antenna, no it's not a low impedance.
I'll stick with interference experts like:
Keith Armstrong
Jim Brown
Henry Ott (RIP)
"Designing Audio Power Amplifiers" 2nd ed.
Henry Ott was a contributor of my site and agreed with my tech articles on cables. RF doesn't matter with amplifiers severely bandwidth limited usually above 50khz. I didn't know he passed. He was a good guy.

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
It's kind of like coffee, depends on the grind. I'm a graphite 2000 fan. It's silky smooth.

I just wonder if it has the tin foil effect on teeth fillings. FM 102 when you eat carrots right after chewing gum. Apples will get FM 104 on the dial.

An antenna is an antenna. :) For AM you have to consume different turd types. Rabbit turds, vs Elephant turds. That's a mouthful and AM still stinks.

Maybe in a tea like in China. Panda dung tea 35,000.00 usd a pound as of yesterday. Only to be bettered by Da Hong Pao tea at a little over 600,000.00 usd a pound.

Don't tell any one, I just use black bear $hit and hold my nose. Free up at the cabin. I have a few customers (suckers) in China, they love the $hit.

Nixon received two ounces of this Da Hong Pao tea. He was a crook he took the tea, I didn't get any.

Last edited:
witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
The ham radio guys don't bother with tower antennas, speaker wire works better:
Henry Ott was a contributor of my site and agreed with my tech articles on cables. RF doesn't matter with amplifiers severely bandwidth limited usually above 50khz. I didn't know he passed. He was a good guy.
So why not interview Dr. Kunchur or any of the authors in his papers bibliography (Yoneya, Wang, et al)?
You would be the perfect host for a roundtable or just e-mail them some questions about their paper and post their reply like you did with Dr Ott's article on balanced and unbalanced cables posted on your site. That's how journalism works too right, "balanced", not unbalanced? They aren't selling cables Gene, just the type of fellas you need for an objective point of view right?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

So why not interview Dr. Kunchur or any of the authors in his papers bibliography (Yoneya, Wand, et al)?
You would be the perfect host for a roundtable of just e-mail them some questions about their paper and post their reply like you did with Dr Ott's article on balanced and unbalanced cables posted on your site. That's how journalism works too right, "balanced", not unbalanced? They aren't selling cables Gene, just the type of fellas you need for an objective point of view right?
More why bother in the first place with the limited/poor info these guys posted? Why do you keep promoting this bullshit?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Can’t tell if you’re joking or not. But my neighbor was a hamm operator for years, bless his soul. He had antennas all over the place. Until we sorted it out, his voice would come through my subs every time he keyed up. At six in the morning…..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can’t tell if you’re joking or not. But my neighbor was a hamm operator for years, bless his soul. He had antennas all over the place. Until we sorted it out, his voice would come through my subs every time he keyed up. At six in the morning…..
LOL I'd more assume witchy has no particular reason/idea of the nonsense he promotes...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
No, Pierre Sprey from Mapleshade is actually a standup guy. I called Mapleshade to order speaker stands once and he suggested I order the MUCH less expensive ones, his Bedrock speaker stands. They looked funny but he said I could return them. They worked out great, I saved $$$, and I own them now more than 10 years and they are still going strong. He took a short term financial hit without blinking an eye because he wanted the customer to be happy for the long term. Works for me :).
You may feel he did you a solid. But seriously, he sells receptacles made of wood that are supposed to improve audio performance. How about a little visit to a place most of us call REALITY!!!!!
He is NOT a stand up guy in the least. He could easily sell you a cheaper product because he probably makes the same margin on it! Secret,shhhh, he doesn’t care about you.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
There are tons of "how to build antennas with speaker wire" on you tube:

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
You may feel he did you a solid. But seriously, he sells receptacles made of wood that are supposed to improve audio performance. How about a little visit to a place most of us call REALITY!!!!!
He is NOT a stand up guy in the least. He could easily sell you a cheaper product because he probably makes the same margin on it! Secret,shhhh, he doesn’t care about you.
Your experience was different than mine, I felt he was very sincere and always let you return stuff if it didn't work out. His label makes good CD's too :) I bought one of his gospel CD's (Arc Choir) and really played it a lot. Next thing you know I hear it on pop radio, Kanye sampled a song from that same disc (Walk With Me) and it sold millions:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

So why not interview Dr. Kunchur or any of the authors in his papers bibliography (Yoneya, Wang, et al)?
You would be the perfect host for a roundtable or just e-mail them some questions about their paper and post their reply like you did with Dr Ott's article on balanced and unbalanced cables posted on your site. That's how journalism works too right, "balanced", not unbalanced? They aren't selling cables Gene, just the type of fellas you need for an objective point of view right?
Sure he's welcome to reach out to me to be a guest on our channel. Again, this topic is beaten with a dead horse and my priority is to focus on much more important topics that affect sound.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
So let me get this correct, If I buy a high quality, high priced power lead, and plug it Into my jug. Will it boil water faster then the two dollar lead I got with the jug. ?:(
It's not about how fast the water boils, it's how well it boils.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
No, Pierre Sprey from Mapleshade is actually a standup guy. I called Mapleshade to order speaker stands once and he suggested I order the MUCH less expensive ones, his Bedrock speaker stands. They looked funny but he said I could return them. They worked out great, I saved $$$, and I own them now more than 10 years and they are still going strong. He took a short term financial hit without blinking an eye because he wanted the customer to be happy for the long term. Works for me :).
Speaker stands that are still going strong after ten whole years- what a revelation! If only someone could have seen fit to ADVERTISE the long life of these stands, they could have charged more.

And I thought my speaker stands still working after close to 40 years was pretty good- they haven't tipped or dropped a speaker, so that's a plus.

He didn't take a financial hit- he still made plenty on the stands you bought. Looking at the prices of his speaker stands, I would say that YOU took the financial hit- Ambrosia Maple isn't terribly expensive, 2" round Brass bar can be bought for a bit over $10/inch and a jobber can spit out the brass feet for a relatively low price- same with the woodworking- for the price, which can be more than $1200/pair, 'bargain' isn't a word I would use to describe their speaker stands. The ones that cost $635 don't fit that adjective, either.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
Sure he's welcome to reach out to me to be a guest on our channel. Again, this topic is beaten with a dead horse and my priority is to focus on much more important topics that affect sound.
That is interesting, you would be a good MC to host a round table or even just an interview. Let's see what happens.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
Speaker stands that are still going strong after ten whole years- what a revelation! If only someone could have seen fit to ADVERTISE the long life of these stands, they could have charged more.

And I thought my speaker stands still working after close to 40 years was pretty good- they haven't tipped or dropped a speaker, so that's a plus.

He didn't take a financial hit- he still made plenty on the stands you bought. Looking at the prices of his speaker stands, I would say that YOU took the financial hit- Ambrosia Maple isn't terribly expensive, 2" round Brass bar can be bought for a bit over $10/inch and a jobber can spit out the brass feet for a relatively low price- same with the woodworking- for the price, which can be more than $1200/pair, 'bargain' isn't a word I would use to describe their speaker stands. The ones that cost $635 don't fit that adjective, either.
Until you have actually tried a product you can "make up" whatever you want to believe.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis