Shooting at Dark Knight in CO. What is WRONG with some people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
I don't want to stop anyone from buying or carrying a gun, but I also do not want to be forced to. The first time some a$$hat cut me off on the highway I'd be reaching for that sucker. I shouldn't own a gun.
I can understand the reluctance, but...

When my grandchildren go to a theater now, I'd actually be less apprehensive if I knew everyone there was armed, instead of just one. I wouldn't doubt it's probably a somewhat unique perspective, though.

As a famous man once said: "a man's got to know his limitation". I'll take my chances with you on the highway.:)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The first time some a$$hat cut me off on the highway I'd be reaching for that sucker. I shouldn't own a gun.
No you wouldn't. Know how I know that? Your car is still in one piece. ;) Real road ragers would ram that mofo. Just sayin'. :D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
We've had various "Gun Control" laws, bills, and acts in this country for more than 175 years. Every so often congress comes up with new legislation to either attempt to protect the populace or maybe just try again to disarm it (I don't know if I'm conspiracy-theorist enough to firmly believe the later - yet): The National Firearms Act, Federal Firearms Act, Gun Control Act, Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act, Crime Control Act, Brady Handgun Act, Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, etc.

New departments, agencies and bureaus are created (or modified: The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax Division of the IRS became the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms).

Also for that 175 years, some City and State governments (and the District of Columbia) have moved to forbid sales or possession or manufacture of firearms within their boundaries.

Apparently none of these efforts have worked. Everyone seems to agree that bad guys will always be able to get a gun.

Maybe the time has come to try something else: I'd suggest a law requiring all adults to not only own a firearm, but also (in the interest of public safety) to carry one with them at all times (OK, maybe not while swimming).

I see several benefits:

A boost to the economy.

Those few deranged individuals intending double-digit mass murder might be limited to one or two victims before they are gunned down themselves (Possibly, if they knew it was likely they'd be stopped before generating the headlines of their predecessors, they may change their minds altogether).

Tax revenues up - Certainly the Feds won't hesitate there.

A more polite society - You never know if that guy you are about to flip off is really a psycho, but now he's armed, too.

I suppose those that view a firearm as an evil device and their own self defense as the sole province of the police and military could have the firing pin removed from theirs.:D

I think the government should supply a hand gun to all those who can not afford them.

:eek:Just kidding!:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I think the government should supply a hand gun to all those who can not afford them.
Yeah, but there would be all those folks that abuse the system. You know, the ones that "can't afford a gun" because they spent their money on fun things.

Like ADTG with his speakers, and Rick with is flip-flops.

:D

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'd actually be less apprehensive if I knew everyone there was armed, instead of just one.
You drastically overestimate the common person in many ways. Rationality, intelligence, responsibility, and sanity are a few that come to mind.

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
You drastically overestimate the common person in many ways. Rationality, intelligence, responsibility, and sanity are a few that come to mind.
Quite the contrary. I'm highly suspicious of every person, common or otherwise, in all those ways (and many others) until they demonstrate otherwise. As I get older, it seems that the percentage of irrational and irresponsible among us keep growing, but maybe that's just because they're featured so prominently on "reality" TV, and YouTube, and...

I was really just commenting on two extremes of theoretical gun legislation: One, a total ban on the possession of a firearm by anyone. The other, the forced possession of a firearm by everyone.

The first would be enthusiastically embraced by a very large portion of the nation and half of our elected officials, and heralded as the greatest victory for civilization by most of the media - Even though it's absolutely forbidden by the US Constitution (no matter how many times it's "misinterpreted").

The second would be as legal as requiring seat belts and child restraint seats, or a smoke detector in a new house, and might possibly even be effective. It would also never make it past the "you've got to be kidding" stage (and for the record, I don't really think it should. I view them both as outrageous extremes).

So... In my two scenarios, you have one person with a gun - already breaking the law and demonstrating that he's not very responsible - who could even be homicidal. If he decides to "go postal" there is not much anyone can do about it. In the other extreme, the one nut-job might still be there, mostly surrounded by people who didn't really want to be armed and still may not do a thing, and a few who could react to prevent a bloodbath.

I'll admit I don't care for either situation, but I'll stand by my preference (OK, It's a small margin).;)

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
No you wouldn't. Know how I know that? Your car is still in one piece. ;) Real road ragers would ram that mofo. Just sayin'. :D
I have so wanted to do this many times. Felt like I was a split second away from it before I thought better of it.
(Maybe I shouldn't play Burnout in Paridise so much;))

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
So, you really respect and enjoy your fellow citizens, then? :rolleyes:

Alex, I think he's talking about you. ;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have so wanted to do this many times. Felt like I was a split second away from it before I thought better of it.
(Maybe I shouldn't play Burnout in Paridise so much;))
Wasn't that on Blue Collar Comedy? "If another driver cuts me off, I reserve the right to put him into the wall. NASCAR rules." :D

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
What about the rights of people that are rational, intelligent, responsible, and sane?:confused:
Oh, damn that pesky Constitution.:rolleyes::D

Nemo128

Nemo128

What about the rights of people that are rational, intelligent, responsible, and sane?:confused:
Oh, damn that pesky Constitution.:rolleyes::D
It was written in a time without nuclear weapons, when firearms required a minute to reload and only threw out one round a minute, without assault weapons that grant an individual the ability to kill as many people in a moment as it would have taken a militia. Where the damage that could be done by a single insane person was highly limited and easy to quell. We don't live in the 18th century any more. I wish people would stop insisting that we do. I wish one of those guys could come back and see firsthand the instance over a hundred thousand people were wiped off the face of the earth with a single bomb drop, just so I could ask him "So, did you see this coming when you wrote that whole right-to-bear-arms thing?"

This country was also built by the founders on slave labor and the oppression of the native people. Should we return there too? Actually, if today's economy is any indication, we're already there.

And I'll repeat, we have a well-regulated militia and you can bear all the arms you want in it. Feel free to enlist, whether your flavor is HOOAH or OORAH. Because let's be for real, the people that say it's about being able to stop an oppresive govt are completely FoS and would never, NEVER, engage in any rebellion. EVER. PERIOD. Revolution is for people without stock options, air conditioning, broadband internet, unlimited data plans, indoor plumbing, rewards points, frequent flyer miles, etc...

Sorry but this subject really pisses me off, since I lost a great friend to a shotgun and his fiance to a handgun that wound up in NJ from some "innocent civilian" down south who needed the cash and didn't do background checks on the lowlifes buying their hardware. And plenty of other people of all ages and denominations I've seen laying in caskets. We don't care about the right to life of our fellow citizens in so many ways, but we care about our individual right to have a gun. Inalienable rights my rear end...

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
well, the issue here is this ...

1) legit and non-insane people SHOULD have guns for whatever reason they wish
2) criminals and insane people SHOULDN'T

the problem we are facing is ... there is no solution that will solve both.
such is the slippery slope of one's rights. "you are free to do anything you want, BUT your rights end where another's begins"

point is, we will never agree on this, you want some sort of control, but the question is, what? how? short of reducing the rights of gun owners, because they have rights too. edit: i don't know what i was saying there ...

i don't have a dog in this particular race because we don't have that right in our constitution. but i always give the finger to those who wish to take away my gun rights, because if possible, i will toast the bad guy that comes into my home.

i do understand though that there should be some sort of control for the issuance of EDC/CCW licenses.

Last edited:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
It was written in a time without nuclear weapons, when firearms required a minute to reload and only threw out one round a minute, without assault weapons that grant an individual the ability to kill as many people in a moment as it would have taken a militia. Where the damage that could be done by a single insane person was highly limited and easy to quell. We don't live in the 18th century any more. I wish people would stop insisting that we do. I wish one of those guys could come back and see firsthand the instance over a hundred thousand people were wiped off the face of the earth with a single bomb drop, just so I could ask him "So, did you see this coming when you wrote that whole right-to-bear-arms thing?"

This country was also built by the founders on slave labor and the oppression of the native people. Should we return there too? Actually, if today's economy is any indication, we're already there.

And I'll repeat, we have a well-regulated militia and you can bear all the arms you want in it. Feel free to enlist, whether your flavor is HOOAH or OORAH. Because let's be for real, the people that say it's about being able to stop an oppresive govt are completely FoS and would never, NEVER, engage in any rebellion. EVER. PERIOD. Revolution is for people without stock options, air conditioning, broadband internet, unlimited data plans, indoor plumbing, rewards points, frequent flyer miles, etc...

Sorry but this subject really pisses me off, since I lost a great friend to a shotgun and his fiance to a handgun that wound up in NJ from some "innocent civilian" down south who needed the cash and didn't do background checks on the lowlifes buying their hardware. And plenty of other people of all ages and denominations I've seen laying in caskets. We don't care about the right to life of our fellow citizens in so many ways, but we care about our individual right to have a gun. Inalienable rights my rear end...

If you're now saying that you are concerned about the very citizens you said in a previous post that you did not like or trust anyway, and are simultaneously so very concerned about things that kill people, why not ban hospitals and automobiles and alcohol and prescribed drugs and sugar and animal fats and cigarettes and overeating and other such individual things that kill more people than all the shootings, by cops and otherwise, in the nation? Would you like that kind of state?

You have a nice little utopian view of what you'd like, Nemo. We all would like to see "peace on earth". But do try to look at reality and the fact that homo sapiens have battled and needed to defend themselves since we crawled out of the primordial slime.

And your military only gun ownership idea...I think that's exactly what they have planned in Syria...and the Congo...had in the German Democratic Party...and in dozens of dictatorships. Wanna live there? "Inalienable rights my rear end"?? You don't like free speech or freedom from illegal search and seizure, etc?

But I understand it's difficult to look logically at issues like this that strike personally at your life and loss of friendship.

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
It was written in a time without nuclear weapons, when firearms required a minute to reload and only threw out one round a minute, without assault weapons that grant an individual the ability to kill as many people in a moment as it would have taken a militia... Where the damage that could be done by a single insane person was highly limited and easy to quell. We don't live in the 18th century any more. I wish people would stop insisting that we do. I wish one of those guys could come back and see firsthand the instance over a hundred thousand people were wiped off the face of the earth with a single bomb drop, just so I could ask him "So, did you see this coming when you wrote that whole right-to-bear-arms thing?"...
No, even if they "saw it coming", a bomb dropped as an act of war against a foreign enemy had nothing to do with their demand to retain the right of the people to bear arms. What they did have the insight to see coming, were the millions of people murdered by their own governments who did not have the means to defend themselves. And this wasn't in the 18th or 19th century - there were over 100 million people murdered by governments the 20th century alone; 75% by communist regimes — to about 38 million killed in all wars and conflicts combined.

You said I "drastically overestimate the common person in many ways..". I would counter that you drastically overestimate the common government official in many ways, including restraint in using any method available to maintain power once they have it. Considering the scandals of the fairly recent past, we do know they'll lie, cheat, steal, cover up, - almost anything to get or stay elected. Unfortunately, the "almost" gets smaller and smaller.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Well boys and girls, now we know why emotional twentysomethings didn't take part in the framing of that pesky old Constitution.:rolleyes::D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

Hi Nemo,

As someone who lost his 30 year old best friend of childhood to a gun in the hand of a 14 year old drug dealer in NE Philly, I feel your pain. That being said I struggle with the gun law conversations. I don't trust the politicians to get it right and to do it for the right reasons. I don't want real world useful guns taken away from law abiding citizens.

Now for the part that stings... I believe there is always some collateral damage with such things and if we want what is best (with or without guns) for the U.S.A. as a whole we are going to end up paying a price...and that sucks.

Simple common sense laws that are enforced and not changed for political reasons are what is needed.

Good conversation guys. Both sides have their opinions. This is how it should be done. We should stop now before we screw it up. :D

R.I.P. Chuck.

Nemo128

Nemo128

You have a nice little utopian view of what you'd like, Nemo. We all would like to see "peace on earth". But do try to look at reality and the fact that homo sapiens have battled and needed to defend themselves since we crawled out of the primordial slime.

And your military only gun ownership idea...I think that's exactly what they have planned in Syria...and the Congo...had in the German Democratic Party...and in dozens of dictatorships. Wanna live there? "Inalienable rights my rear end"?? You don't like free speech or freedom from illegal search and seizure, etc?

But I understand it's difficult to look logically at issues like this that strike personally at your life and loss of friendship.
You totally missed the point. Had you been reading all of my responses, you'd see that I'm in favor of gun ownership. BECAUSE, had everyone I known been ABLE to have a gun, those outcomes MAY have been preventable. My issue with that post was the Constitution and its phrasing of the line regarding the right to bear arms. And the fact that people like to believe they know for a fact what was on the minds of some sage white wealthy landowners from over 200 years ago. I pointed out a serious flaw in the logic of the Constitution, which is that a well regulated militia already exists and you can get your gun fix there. What you're saying is that the military is an agent only of the govt and that somehow a bunch of couch surfers with a home collection of firearms are going to stand up against said military. Yeah, sure. You're also saying that our military members are mindless drones that will be complicent in the oppression of this country's citizens at the behest of the govt. Interesting... so you'd trust the average every day Joe with a gun, but not the people who put their tails on the line for your freedom (correct me if I'm wrong but in previous posts you've been very pro-military and pro-foreign intervention in the name of national security).

You said I "drastically overestimate the common person in many ways..". I would counter that you drastically overestimate the common government official in many ways, including restraint in using any method available to maintain power once they have it. Considering the scandals of the fairly recent past, we do know they'll lie, cheat, steal, cover up, - almost anything to get or stay elected. Unfortunately, the "almost" gets smaller and smaller.
Hell no I don't, but did you read the end of my post? We, as a nation, will NEVER do anything about it. We watched our entire economy collapse while a small and select group walked away unscathed, and what did we do? Form picket lines? Make Facebook posts with funny pictures? As long as we are kept comfortable, the masses will never take action against the govt that will result in any real change. It's also because the two-party system has brainwashed pretty much everyone into becoming advocates of their own world view and see things as either supporting their world view or preventing the furthering of another world view. I'll repeat, revolution is for the desperate. The fact that we're sitting here having a conversation about it means we're pretty damn far off from that.

Hi Nemo,

As someone who lost his 30 year old best friend of childhood to a gun in the hand of a 14 year old drug dealer in NE Philly, I feel your pain. That being said I struggle with the gun law conversations. I don't trust the politicians to get it right and to do it for the right reasons. I don't want real world useful guns taken away from law abiding citizens.

Now for the part that stings... I believe there is always some collateral damage with such things and if we want what is best (with or without guns) for the U.S.A. as a whole we are going to end up paying a price...and that sucks.

Simple common sense laws that are enforced and not changed for political reasons are what is needed.

Good conversation guys. Both sides have their opinions. This is how it should be done. We should stop now before we screw it up. :D

R.I.P. Chuck.
Agreed, cept I think people are confusing what I'm saying. I already said I was in favor of gun ownership and that things like the theater massacre in Colorado are a cost of that freedom.

My point, simple and blank, is that many excuses for wanting gun rights are complete lies. We want to be able to defend ourselves from a corrupt govt, yet we don't do anything about that NOW as it is.

We also, along those lines, obviously believe our own fellow citizens who happen to be uniformed service members would turn against us when the tipping point between covert corruption and open oppression is reached.

Herein lies the problem I have with gun ownership, which is again a problem with the people. The city of Newark makes it nearly impossible for me to go get a gun permit. It's pretty much IMPOSSIBLE for me to get a CCW permit here too. However, it's easy for a criminal to drive down to West Virginia, get himself a couple handguns and boxes of ammo, drive back up, and cause a lot of violent crime in my neighborhood. I'd love to be able to go get my gun permit and be able to defend myself. But it's not REALITY, although Tomorrow is convinced I have some utopian world view.

I've seen enough death and senseless violence to know that a world at "peace" is completely impossible, and if anything I've seen enough to believe that the world's people as a whole are incapable of peace or even simple tolerance. What I do see, though, is that it is going to take a far bigger and more destructive set of events for people to see the root of the problem. It's going to take a coordinated effort by a bunch of nutjobs all over the country and the death of thousands (911 did it) or hundreds of thousands (Hiroshima and Nagasaki did it) to galvanize a population into working for real change in the way things are.

You can have ALL the guns you want. I'm even in favor of you garaging an M1 Abrams, and I'll upgrade your fire control system in it to block 2 if you happen to get an A1 variant. You want a howitzer, more power to ya, I shout you a resounding "F YEAH". BUT, be aware that our system, as it is, will allow someone a lot less responsible and a lot more malicious to do the same. When the day comes that your house is leveled by said someone, or your family and everything you love is destroyed by said someone, just remember that this is what you wanted and you have no right to complain about the end result.

But using the excuses of "it's in the Constitution!" or "we need to be able to stop an oppresive govt!"? The Constitution also says we can be free of unreasonable search and seizures, but it happens all the time and no one revolts. Oh yeah, we had the LA riots in the 90s and the Newark riots in the 70s... both unjustified actions with no end result except a lot of theft and big clean up bills. It also said a trial by jury is preserved for any matter exceeding $20 (do you know how much that actually was worth in 18th century dollars?).

We could give US citizens as much hardware as they want, and the majority will still never openly revolt in a meaningful fashion. Particularly because I believe what some people are saying to an even greater extent than they do... those who run our nation, from its military to its economy, are smart and devious enough to keep the carrot dangled and ensure we never get motivated to take real action. Read previous post and my short rant about broadband internet and unlimited data plans.

Stick with a good, true, worthwhile argument for it. I want my guns for self-defense and because I like shooting things. Period. Not because I maintain some fiction in my head that I'm going to turn into William Wallace or Leonides when the govt gets out of control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis