Selecting AVR and speakers mainly for home audio

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So I moved on to the Klipsch. They were better, but not what I expected for the cost. I couldn't help but notice that the drivers were a lackluster 3.5", maybe 4". And these things cost $1000 for the pair! Turning on the optional 12" Sub really made it sound much better, but there was a huge response gap between the 12" sub driver and the 3.5" drivers. That seems like a poor design choice, even to me. Where is the 6" driver to fill in the gap?
Something is not right here!
Either the speakers were improperly marked or you mixed up prices.
I consider the newest Klipsch speakers as good SQ value, and, at $1000 a pair, you should be looking at something like this:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-reference-premiere-dual-6-1-2-500-watt-passive-2-way-floor-speaker-each-cherry/5708505.p?skuId=5708505
I can't think of any Klipsch at $1000/pr which totally fails on the low end unless they had you listening to these:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-reference-premiere-4-200-watt-passive-2-way-speaker-pair-black/5708522.p?skuId=5708522
which are a special purpose speaker never intended to be used as mains.

J

joshk03

Audioholic
Wow KEW, you put a lot of effort into discussing that graph, many thanks! I learned a lot from reading your post. Sorry about the -50db, I screwed that up by using the scroll wheel and I didn't know any better.

So let me focus a minute on the super-shitty laptop speakers. Those are "Bang & Olufsen" speakers on a $1,365.39 HP Envy laptop. Let me tell you, I have been a loyal and satisfied HP laptop owner before buying their modern overpriced trash. They have really wh*red out their name. I was literally SHOCKED at now shitty this laptop was compared to my last 2 similarly priced older HP laptops. The speed is like 8% of my old laptop (verified with speed tester), the hard drive failed in less than 6 months. It has warped plastic that never fit, the keyboard keys protrude, etc... F*** HP. My long standing loyalty has been r*ped. They took a $300 grade laptop and gave it their top-tier pricing and advertising.

So back to audio.
I took the same data and re-scaled it as you recommended, in case you are interested. This time with 1/24 octave smoothing.

I like that you are the second person to recommend the RSL system, that's a good sign.
I like the factory refurbished route for the receiver. I might just order one today.

I will be having some fun with a DIY speaker next month, but they won't be for this system. I have a cool design in the works with the perfect amount of sealed space behind the speaker. The 3D printer makes getting everything perfectly placed easy. That speaker will be a Dayton Audio ND-65-8, but it's on back-order now.

J

joshk03

Audioholic
Something is not right here!
Either the speakers were improperly marked or you mixed up prices.
I consider the newest Klipsch speakers as good SQ value, and, at $1000 a pair, you should be looking at something like this:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-reference-premiere-dual-6-1-2-500-watt-passive-2-way-floor-speaker-each-cherry/5708505.p?skuId=5708505
I can't think of any Klipsch at $1000/pr which totally fails on the low end unless they had you listening to these:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-reference-premiere-4-200-watt-passive-2-way-speaker-pair-black/5708522.p?skuId=5708522
which are a special purpose speaker never intended to be used as mains.
I agree. After some thought I think the issue was with the way they had them lined up on the floor. I could only put myself in front of one speaker at at time. And they had another shelf directly in front of them, so my head was basically in an echo chamber when I was listening. A store like that has a high noise floor too I suppose. And yes, that first BB link looks like one of the speakers.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I agree. After some thought I think the issue was with the way they had them lined up on the floor. I could only put myself in front of one speaker at at time. And they had another shelf directly in front of them, so my head was basically in an echo chamber when I was listening. A store like that has a high noise floor too I suppose. And yes, that first BB link looks like one of the speakers.
Unless they have a nice setup in a Magnolia Room, the only decent way to audition speakers is buy them and listen to them at home. BestBuy has a 14 day return policy (unless they have changed something in the past few months). IME, they do always seem a bit "put out" on returns (mainly because they are losing the commission from the sale).
On the RSL vs SVS. Either of these are very good options. The question at this point is which sound is a better fit for your individual preferences. Personally, I would do the comparison, but if you really dislike the idea of returning a product, I think you would be thrilled with either. I have not personally heard the RSL, but it should offer better bass given the sub, and I would expect the SVS Ultra to provide a bit more detail and crispness in the top end (chimes, the brass in close-mic'ed acoustic guitar strings, for example) with a well designed Al tweeter (and there are some lousy ones out there). But as I said, you don't have a bad choice between them, only which good choice is better for you!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I have dual 12" subs crossed over to speakers that have 3.5" drivers and it sounds magnificent!

J

joshk03

Audioholic
I have dual 12" subs crossed over to speakers that have 3.5" drivers and it sounds magnificent!
That's pretty cool. What kind are the 3.5"? I thought it would be fun collect data from a setup like that. By my little 2.5" are over a month from delivery.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
That's pretty cool. What kind are the 3.5"? I thought it would be fun collect data from a setup like that. By my little 2.5" are over a month from delivery.
They're wide band (Peerless TC9FD18-08) drivers cloning a known high end speaker designer's work via DIY. In this instance, these 2 speakers set the levels and the subs are then level matched to those. These speakers are not asked to do very much of the bass at all and are crossed over at 150hz to the subwoofers. The type of subwoofer is important as well. Say, one that can work effectively upwards of 200hz and perhaps beyond.

I have 6-7 pairs of great, functional speakers, and this odd little setup manages to be a top contender among them. Funnier yet is, these two speakers cost less than $70 in parts. I keep procrastinating moving them aside for the more pedigreed builds in my system because they sound so sweet.

J

joshk03

Audioholic
Cool, I wouldn't have expected a system missing something in the 6" to 8" would sound good, but I believe you. I see yours are called 'woofers' and mine are say 'Large excursion' in the bullet points. I was scared away from buying anything that small that said woofer just because it wasn't clear to me what that would be used for.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Cool, I wouldn't have expected a system missing something in the 6" to 8" would sound good, but I believe you. I see yours are called 'woofers' and mine are say 'Large excursion' in the bullet points. I was scared away from buying anything that small that said woofer just because it wasn't clear to me what that would be used for.
This is a bit more erroneous now that theater effects have entered the mix. In my case, with just focusing on music, it's a bit easier, especially if I know the extremes either way with what I typically listen to.

Most speakers will have more on tap than I will ever use so I tend to focus on exactly what I need, and speakers solid in that realm instead of tradeoffs that tend to bank half of their resources on 'what-ifs.'

J

joshk03

Audioholic
Drr. I was all decided on a refurbished Denon x1400h last night. Then I gave the specs a thorough review, and noticed something I missed before. Zone2 is extremely limited. It can not source from HDMI (which would be my PC) or AM/FM radio. I might still get over this, but it cost them a sale last night.

As for speakers, I am leaning toward auditioning the SVS, RSL, and the BestBuy ones in my living room. The bass-reflex doesn't feel right though. It seems opening a door into the speaker box would just muddy the clarity in a desperate attempt to pump the bass.

Last edited:
D

DigitalD

Audioholic Intern
Hello there, I am new here and I apologize if this is the incorrect place to post this question. I currently have a Sony STR-DH 750 AV Receiver with Polk Blackstone TL250 speakers on a 5.1 setup. (My very first system) I would like to upgrade my system completely and I am debating between upgrading my speakers first or upgrading my AV Receiver. I’d like to purchase Klipsch RP 260F speakers with a 440 Center. Will my AV Receiver be able to power these speakers along with my current 2 surrounds or will I damage the speakers? Should I buy the AV Receiver first? The AV Receiver I have in mind is the Denon X4400h.

J

joshk03

Audioholic
Alright, I got over not having hdmi source for zone 2 after looking and realizing this is very typical for this price point.
I am going to be busy over the next few weeks so I think I'm going to let the auditions wait. It's best not to rush. But I am excited to hear how all this sounds!
Thanks for the help guys! I will come back and update this thread when I move to the auditions step.

O

OM PRAKASH DWIVEDI

Enthusiast
One heavy load is off my shoulders. Now I can connect my speakers, when they arrive, with the AVR without bothering about the voltage considerations. This was a question nagging me all the time, but no one bothered to address it. Thank you very much. One thing. Those speakers are discontinued all right, but Crutchfield and all those who matter have given ravenous ratings and showered praise on these. Have I made a mistake in ordering them? Here in India, speakers imported from US cost almost double to trible. As a retired person I have to keep an eye on the budget, shouldn't I? What do you think about it? Thanks again. Would be waiting for your take on my choice.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Hello friends,
My Denon AVR X 2400 H, when switching over to the FM stopped sounding through the Def Tech speakers. And then when switching over to the TV audio, it didn't sound either, gradually, the Dolby surround, DTS etc going away, leaving indications of multy channel stereo, etc only in its led lit panel. The TV monitor also not showing the function, just blank panel staring back at me. OMG, what I'm to do. Kindly enlighten me, sir!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hello friends,
My Denon AVR X 2400 H, when switching over to the FM stopped sounding through the Def Tech speakers. And then when switching over to the TV audio, it didn't sound either, gradually, the Dolby surround, DTS etc going away, leaving indications of multy channel stereo, etc only in its led lit panel. The TV monitor also not showing the function, just blank panel staring back at me. OMG, what I'm to do. Kindly enlighten me, sir!

Without doing trouble shooting, I'd do a factory reset and start there..

O

OM PRAKASH DWIVEDI

Enthusiast
Hello dear,
I did the simultaneous pressing of power button and tuner preset channels +&- and the Denon AVR X2400H initialized. Indications our TV audio and Dolby Surround sound etc came back. Still no sound from the speakers. The setup command from the remote not working, the TV is not depicting the Denon logo. I hope once the TV starts showing the Denon logo and Denon interface, I could restart once again.
Please help me, sir.
O P Dwivedi
India.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
So I'm looking for a great music system. It seems an AVR such as the Denon X1300W would be the best choice for getting the PC audio and streaming services connected, at least in the main part of the house.
I might not even want surround speakers, just great front speakers that can beam the sound across the room and even be enjoyed in nearby rooms when turned up. Right now I am wondering if floor speakers would be best because I have heard some great ones. I'm looking to discuss speakers at the moment. The AVR is 80w per channel. My current audio space is 26' x 32'. My next house will have about a 15' x 20' space with one wall partially open to the center of the house. A sub would be nice for TV, but while I am working and listening to music they are a bit distracting. So nothing too expensive for the sub. I don't think my wife would like a sub either. I'm looking to spend the bulk of the money on front speakers.
My goal is to spend about $1000 on this audio zone. Maybe a bit more.
I know you said you don't think you want a sub, but with your budget...I think you're looking at a pair of book shelves and a sub for the best SQ.

But...if you truly want floorstanders...the RBH R55 would come in a tad over your $1k...if you hear them 2.0 they have a nice clean midrange, vocals were impressive. 2.1 you could live with these for a long time.

Maybe it's the basshead in me, or a misconception on what subs bring to music, but to get that low end enhancement and free up your front speakers for midbass and higher frequencies makes a big difference in SQ.

O

OM PRAKASH DWIVEDI

Enthusiast
You caught on. There isn't much respect for Bose in audio/hi-fi circles because they long put out low-perfoming, cheaply made drivers and speaker cabinets for premium pricing.

Today they do make some fine, highly respected products in headphones, a good soundbar or two, and a couple decent "lifestyle" audio products. I still won't buy any because of how they shifted 350 tech support people to a contractor in the Phillippines.
Hey Joshk03,
It's been long since I posted anything. Actually my AVR stopped responding and therefore I had to send it back for repair. They changed the motherboard and it took more than two months before I got it back. Anyway it's functional now.

Like I had said I possess only three speakers from DefTech; centre speaker and two monitors bookshelf. ( technology CS 8040 HD for the main center speaker and two Definitive technology SM 45 ) I plan to buy one sub- SVS PB 1000 in the non too distant future.

Could you suggest if I should assign the bookshelf monitors as surround sound speakers instead of front speakers, given the centre speaker doing its job well. Will it result in more immersive and steriophonic effect.
Om Dwivedi

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis