Selecting AVR and speakers mainly for home audio

J

joshk03

Audioholic
So I'm looking for a great music system. It seems an AVR such as the Denon X1300W would be the best choice for getting the PC audio and streaming services connected, at least in the main part of the house.
I might not even want surround speakers, just great front speakers that can beam the sound across the room and even be enjoyed in nearby rooms when turned up. Right now I am wondering if floor speakers would be best because I have heard some great ones. I'm looking to discuss speakers at the moment. The AVR is 80w per channel. My current audio space is 26' x 32'. My next house will have about a 15' x 20' space with one wall partially open to the center of the house. A sub would be nice for TV, but while I am working and listening to music they are a bit distracting. So nothing too expensive for the sub. I don't think my wife would like a sub either. I'm looking to spend the bulk of the money on front speakers.
My goal is to spend about $1000 on this audio zone. Maybe a bit more.

Last edited:
J

joshk03

Audioholic
So my first questions would be if floor speakers are smart or silly, and even if that AVR can be setup for stereo instead of surround.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, an AVR can be set up for stereo use. It's what I use. I don't watch movies, or TV, for that matter.

A sub does not need to be distracting. In fact, it should integrate with the mains as if it wasn't there at all. This depends on a few things, some of which are perhaps, subjective. Such as, type of music and listening style. Critical listening or just ambient sound.

I could live with a pair of great (JBL) 3-way tower speakers without a sub. But then, one of the better features of an AVR even for 2 channel listening is, bass management.

Budget. . . . I don't get setting a low price on such things as audio. Since there is no emergency, a little patience and saving enough for what will work the absolute best for the long term is what is the better value. What do you really want? A budget just seems so meh/generic/gotta have it now in a box-ish.

What is your prior listening experience?

J

joshk03

Audioholic
I'm with you, I don't watch movies or TV much at all. I just don't feel the content these days is worth my time to sit and stare at. But sometimes me and my wife watch an episode of something.
I do like to play rock, and 80's music, and a bit of metal in the house each day when I'm here alone. (I work from home, and our daughter does daycare now.) For most of the day it's ambient, but if I'm in a good mood I will crank it and jam for a favorite song :)

As far as budget, my wife is already questioning why I would consider such a system when I already bought a Bose Soundlink mini last year for the laptop. And I understand. Spending more than 1k on audio for one room borders on feelings of recklessness to me. It totally shocks me to watch some youtube videos by Hans B. and he talks of spending 20k on "system 1". So in short, the $1k limit is just emotional. I am ok with 1k speakers + $350 for the AVR, but man that is my limit.

The Car's factory speakers and my Bose Soundlink Mini II is my only audio sources at the moment. I carry the Bose around the house with me when I work in other rooms.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...my wife is already questioning why I would consider such a system when I already bought a Bose Soundlink mini last year....I am ok with 1k speakers + $350 for the AVR, but man that is my limit.
LOL. Upgrading from that Bose to a $1.35K 2.0 system is a pretty significant jump. :D

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I built a solid, mid-fi system for $75 right before I joined this forum. A friend gave me a really nice (but dated) Denon AVR and I found a nice pair of JBL tower speakers for $75 on Crg-list. This combination will still compete with everything I have set up since. In that regard, I would rather have high performance used gear than a bunch of compromises based on new. The only real advantage I had with the used stuff is I had a good deal of prior experience. Ever since then, I have DIY'd all my speakers and subs at what ended up amounting to a substantial savings for what I have. All in, with 5 subs, 2 AVR's, about 6 functional pairs of speakers, I am under $4k over 2.5 year period. 90% of which I do not need.

I tend to take music seriously as it's been a hobby of mine for over 40 years and it's something I keep coming back to as time/kids have allowed. I have always kept a pair of decent speakers, at least.

You're kind of at that point where you need to physically go audition some speakers. Me, I swear by JBL when all of the other brands get to be too many nitpicks and I am in unknown territory with regard to audible returns for the $.

Others here will have some better suggestions, I am sure.

O

OM PRAKASH DWIVEDI

Enthusiast
I'm with you, I don't watch movies or TV much at all. I just don't feel the content these days is worth my time to sit and stare at. But sometimes me and my wife watch an episode of something.
I do like to play rock, and 80's music, and a bit of metal in the house each day when I'm here alone. (I work from home, and our daughter does daycare now.) For most of the day it's ambient, but if I'm in a good mood I will crank it and jam for a favorite song :)

As far as budget, my wife is already questioning why I would consider such a system when I already bought a Bose Soundlink mini last year for the laptop. And I understand. Spending more than 1k on audio for one room borders on feelings of recklessness to me. It totally shocks me to watch some youtube videos by Hans B. and he talks of spending 20k on "system 1". So in short, the $1k limit is just emotional. I am ok with 1k speakers + $350 for the AVR, but man that is my limit.

The Car's factory speakers and my Bose Soundlink Mini II is my only audio sources at the moment. I carry the Bose around the house with me when I work in other rooms.
Hi, what a coincidence, Mr joshk03.
It so happens that I have bought a Denon AVR X2400H and had purchased a Bose Revolve 360° sound Bluetooth speaker a little earlier and been very happy with playing around with it by streaming music from my smart phone.
I, too, am very much distracted by the contents of TV. But I am always fascinated by the music, mostly classic and by and large by the other types of music. And so after much deliberations I chose to buy just three speakers for the present, (I may go for more and a sub at some time later): one Definitive technology CS 8040 HD for the main center speaker and two Definitive technology SM 45 (though these have been discontinued for production by the company, but these are superb speakers and now available at a discount). However, as these are to be imported from the USA, I'm yet to receive these, may be in ten to fourteen days.
You see I live in India. Where do you live Mr Joshk03; I'm just curious, you may choose not to answer if I am treading a bit too far. But there's a reason in my asking this question. The AVR that I bought in India is region specific, works on Indian voltage conditions, that is, 220-240 V. Now the speakers from USA and all equipments demand voltage of only 110V they say.
Now, can anybody enlighten me over this issue. Do the passive speakers which get power from an AVR powered on 220-240V, should have an issue with the voltage conditions? Or the AVR could just automatically adjust the power requirements of the speakers connected with it.
Thanks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I picked up a pair of KEF LS50 Limited Edition "frosted black, blue driver" as lightly used trade-in (for the $2200 LS50 Wireless) for just $900. Mint condition, in original boxes and with 3 years remaining on the 5 year warranty.

Deals are out there, so shop carefully and get the best speakers you can.

J

joshk03

Audioholic
Unfortunately there are no electronics stores around here. I have read how that can be very different listening conditions though too.
I'm not really sure where I could score a deal, but that would be a great option. I will look at Craigslist.

J

joshk03

Audioholic
That's a no for craigslist. Just some banged up Kenwood KL-777 speakers for $250 in some town I have never heard of.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hi, what a coincidence, Mr joshk03.
It so happens that I have bought a Denon AVR X2400H and had purchased a Bose Revolve 360° sound Bluetooth speaker a little earlier and been very happy with playing around with it by streaming music from my smart phone.
I, too, am very much distracted by the contents of TV. But I am always fascinated by the music, mostly classic and by and large by the other types of music. And so after much deliberations I chose to buy just three speakers for the present, (I may go for more and a sub at some time later): one Definitive technology CS 8040 HD for the main center speaker and two Definitive technology SM 45 (though these have been discontinued for production by the company, but these are superb speakers and now available at a discount). However, as these are to be imported from the USA, I'm yet to receive these, may be in ten to fourteen days.
You see I live in India. Where do you live Mr Joshk03; I'm just curious, you may choose not to answer if I am treading a bit too far. But there's a reason in my asking this question. The AVR that I bought in India is region specific, works on Indian voltage conditions, that is, 220-240 V. Now the speakers from USA and all equipments demand voltage of only 110V they say.
Now, can anybody enlighten me over this issue. Do the passive speakers which get power from an AVR powered on 220-240V, should have an issue with the voltage conditions? Or the AVR could just automatically adjust the power requirements of the speakers connected with it.
Thanks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Passive speakers, the line voltage feeding the amps is a moot point. All that matters is the output of the amp. Should not be a problem.

J

joshk03

Audioholic
understatement if there ever was one .........
hehe. It's not quite a direct replacement, the Bose will still be used for late night listening so I don't wake anyone and will still travel to the workroom with me. But yea, I will probably be shocked at the difference between 1.3k and what I have been used to hearing.

J

joshk03

Audioholic
If it makes more sense, my desk lives in the breakfast area of this house, the living room TV is just across the room. For someone that works from home in an empty house, this is a ideal location. I have no need to sit in a small office if I have the whole house to myself. :)

J

joshk03

Audioholic
Is there a difference between speakers that use a term reference, monitor, and full-range?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
hehe. It's not quite a direct replacement, the Bose will still be used for late night listening so I don't wake anyone and will still travel to the workroom with me. But yea, I will probably be shocked at the difference between 1.3k and what I have been used to hearing.
do yourself a favor and get a pair of decent headphones, anything but BOSE ........ 'no highs no lows, gotta be Bose' !

J

joshk03

Audioholic
do yourself a favor and get a pair of decent headphones, anything but BOSE ........ 'no highs no lows, gotta be Bose' !
I collected some data with a condenser mic and REW the other day and I don't think the Bose look half bad. The mic was located where my head would be normally. The red line is the built-in laptop speakers I had been using. The green line is the Bose I listen to now. Seems like decent highs and lows to my eye. 1/3 octave smoothing.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I don't think the Bose look half bad.
half bad, half good .........either way, 'half assed' !

Josh, I'm not trying to rain on your parade but no graph will ever convince me (or my ears) that Bose is anything more than a cheap answer to a General Motors in car audio platform. Perhaps as a table radio and a sound bar they perform A-OK, beyond that not for me ......YMMV !

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis