Sealed vs Ported Subwoofers: Which Is Right For You?

What is your favorite type of subwoofer?

• Sealed

Votes: 35 68.6%
  • Ported

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Passive Radiator

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Transmission Line

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other (Horn, Infinite Baffle, etc)

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
If you were going to combine the UXLs with the ported LMSs, you would want to put a pretty tight limiter to UXL low end to prevent that distortion from creeping in the sound. But the thing is, there are better mid and upper bass woofers than the UXLs. The UXLs aren't bad for that, of course, but a lighter and higher sensitive driver would make more sense in that role, like a pro audio live sound type driver. It would get just as loud and wouldn't need as much wattage.
It's something to consider. I'm a long ways off from this hypothetical situation so I have plenty of time to plan it out :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
It's something to consider. I'm a long ways off from this hypothetical situation so I have plenty of time to plan it out :D
Well you know the TC sounds pro audio drive would fill the bill. Though I'd opt for JL Audio 8w7 if money grows on the trees.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I have both a ported and sealed SVS Ultra, and I like them both. They sound pretty much the same to me. There's currently no poll option for "both" or "either," though. :)
This has been my experience too, beyond a certain product quality level. I went with a sealed design mostly because it was smaller and looked better. Until you've seen an SVS PB13-Ultra in the flesh (well, in the wood) you don't quite expect it to be so big.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This has been my experience too, beyond a certain product quality level. I went with a sealed design mostly because it was smaller and looked better. Until you've seen an SVS PB13-Ultra in the flesh (well, in the wood) you don't quite expect it to be so big.
It was smaller than I expected actually, but then my sub was 51" tall :) (and still took up less floor space than the Ultra)

I've built my own subs in the past and have owned a pretty good variety of different types. I definitely prefer sealed, but have heard some great sounding vented ones too (PB13 Ultra :) )

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Ported and Sealed.

PC13Ultra lowpassing itself to 40hz and below
Dual SB2000 getting their 40hz highpassed signal from the PC13Ultra

best of both worlds.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've always been partial to the sealed subs. Ported subs can be great, but there is just something about the way a sealed sub sounds that appeals to me.

I've really enjoyed my dual 1262w's, but I think they'll be retired soon to my downstairs system as a single dual opposed box. I plan to use 4 1260w's to get some more surface area and finally be able to use all of the power my amp can provide.

Right now I have a horribly cheap ported 8" sub downstairs and while it works, it is just a terrible design (KLH from ~15 years ago $80 new) and it needs to go.

O

Omar Leon

Enthusiast
I thought it was called WAF (wife acceptance factor).....First I've heard of SAF.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I thought it was called WAF (wife acceptance factor).....First I've heard of SAF.
Spouse Acceptance Factor. It isn't sexist. If the wife is the audiophile, she may need to deal with the requirements of her husband who does not care about audio. Would you prefer to have to know WAF and HAF, instead of just SAF?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like passive radiators ain't gittin' no lovin' 'round here. I was the sole voter for that configuration, although in reality, I don't really have any bias for or against any configuration. I just love the way my SDX12's turned out. I think they all have their place - depends on space considerations, performance goals, etc.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Spouse Acceptance Factor. It isn't sexist. If the wife is the audiophile, she may need to deal with the requirements of her husband who does not care about audio. Would you prefer to have to know WAF and HAF, instead of just SAF?
That almost never happens though. That's like my buddy who's wife drives a lime green Porsche GT3. Not only does he not have to "accept" that, I'm guessing he has no say in the matter either :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Looks like passive radiators ain't gittin' no lovin' 'round here. I was the sole voter for that configuration, although in reality, I don't really have any bias for or against any configuration. I just love the way my SDX12's turned out. I think they all have their place - depends on space considerations, performance goals, etc.
I went with a ported sub under servo control which offers the advantages of both sealed and ported designs.

B

Bear123

Junior Audioholic
I went with a ported sub under servo control which offers the advantages of both sealed and ported designs.
:confused:

There are two advantages to sealed subs: they are smaller than ported, and have a shallower rolloff for lower extension. I don't think the servo has any impact on those two things.

As far as the sealed versus ported question goes, as long as one can acommodate the size of the ported sub, I think it is generally the better design. Most people use their subs for both movies and music to some extent or another, and ported offer vastly superior output for movies, while being equally suited for music. The only reason to go sealed imo is if you have to have the small size.

Having said that, I have a sealed sub. But, it took two 15" drivers to match the output of a 12" ported sub in the same size box. But, since that was the biggest size box I could fit, the two larger drivers kept my output for movies the same, but double my mid bass output.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
:confused:

There are two advantages to sealed subs: they are smaller than ported, and have a shallower rolloff for lower extension. I don't think the servo has any impact on those two things.
I don't know that. I cannot tell that this sub is ported from just listening to it.

B

Bear123

Junior Audioholic
I don't know that. I cannot tell that this sub is ported from just listening to it.
I believe that 100%. In blind tests where peoples biases are removed from the equation, people cannot tell the difference in sound between ported and sealed subs. What I believe is the issue, is that if someone firmly believes that sealed subs are "tighter", "faster", more "accurate" or whatever(none of which are real terms), then they will hear a difference. Just like if someone goes out and spends thousands of dollars on an expensive "audiophile" amp, they are convinced it is going to sound better, therefore it will.

But again, my comment was that servo has nothing to do with the box size of a sealed sub, or the difference in how ported and sealed subs roll off at low frequency. They are two totally different and unrelated paramaters. Just like the color does not change the port tune.

Now having said that, it may be possible that your servo control may be causing a better sound quality due to lower distortion. But being ported or sealed is likely to make no actual difference in sound quality. Do all subs sound the same...no, especially if they have a poor FR or poor build quality, poorly tuned etc etc. But two well built subs playing within their abilities will not be identifiable in a blind test when level matched etc. A good example would be a SB2000 and a PB2000.

On a related but slightly different topic, I think sealed subs have gotten the title of "musical" largely through marketing.

Lets assume the following, given two similar subs:

Sealed and ported will sound about the same on music.
Ported will have 2-3 times the output, or more, for movies.
If size is not a constraint, ported is superior for movies or dual purpose movies and music.
Sealed therefore, is generally equivalent for music, inferior for movies.

As a company selling its products through marketing, do you want to advertise your sealed sub as "good for music, inferior for movies", or just label it as "musical"? Someone shopping for a sub for their two channel listening does not want to buy a sub that is "inferior for movies", they want one that is "musical". Is it musical? Of course, just like a ported sub is. But not more so.

Last edited:
hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
I luv my sealed SVS SB13-Ultra sub, even in my open fp, it digs deep. I haven't measured it yet but the feeling I get is something like vvvvvvv
[video=youtube;hmmcgSgt5_c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmmcgSgt5_c[/video]

M

mychaelp

Enthusiast
Thanks for the article.
Subs play such an important role that most people don't realize and it's important to understand the differences between options.
My SVS has a "phase" dial of which when I turn it, there are changes in the bass sound, but I always thought Phase would be either one way or another and not a dial adjustment. I just turned it until I had a good mix of loudness and depth bass which is tight but not boomy as it was on the other end of the dial. I may never know how to really adjust that dial.
I've always seemed to notice that to get the best sound and deepest bass from a sealed enclosure, you have to spend more than a ported version. SVS is a good example of how sealed cost more to get the same "on paper" response. I had found a site that listed some layman's information but can't find it now, might post later if I find it then.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the article.
Subs play such an important role that most people don't realize and it's important to understand the differences between options.
My SVS has a "phase" dial of which when I turn it, there are changes in the bass sound, but I always thought Phase would be either one way or another and not a dial adjustment. I just turned it until I had a good mix of loudness and depth bass which is tight but not boomy as it was on the other end of the dial. I may never know how to really adjust that dial.
I've always seemed to notice that to get the best sound and deepest bass from a sealed enclosure, you have to spend more than a ported version. SVS is a good example of how sealed cost more to get the same "on paper" response. I had found a site that listed some layman's information but can't find it now, might post later if I find it then.
Engineering a small enclosure to play loud,low and good involves a an exceptional driver, higher power and EQ. If you want a 15" cube to compete with a large enclosure it takes more Rd and money for the most part.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Sealed vs Ported:
There are several reasons why many audiophiles prefer the sealed enclosure. Of course, sealed boxes are usually more compact and there is also the spouse acceptance factor, as everyone knows.
However, the ported enclosure allows a more efficient rendition and, provided IMHO that you use a subwoofer with a Qts of between 0.38 and 0.5 and a very low Fs, you should be able to obtain a smooth and strong response to a lower frequency than with a sealed box, provided it is of adequate size and properly tuned. Also, transient response should not be a problem under these conditions.

I have heard of several comments with regard to ported enclosures with poor transient response as opposed to that with sealed cabinets. Driver and box have to be properly, not married, but matched to obtain successful results.

However, I have never heard of anyone questioning the linear response in a sealed cabinet. This phenomenon definitely must exist due to the air compression and decompression effect caused by the cone displacement. Probably, our hearing is not sensitive enough to notice this phenomenon which nevertheless cannot escape the laws of physics. This is one of the reasons why I always built bass reflex enclosures.

I wonder if anyone ever attempted to measure such non-linear displacement, and if so, what were the results.
Any comments anyone?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis