Sealed vs Ported Subwoofers: Which Is Right For You?

What is your favorite type of subwoofer?

• Sealed

Votes: 35 68.6%
  • Ported

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Passive Radiator

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Transmission Line

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other (Horn, Infinite Baffle, etc)

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
:confused:

There are two advantages to sealed subs: they are smaller than ported, and have a shallower rolloff for lower extension. I don't think the servo has any impact on those two things.

As far as the sealed versus ported question goes, as long as one can acommodate the size of the ported sub, I think it is generally the better design. Most people use their subs for both movies and music to some extent or another, and ported offer vastly superior output for movies, while being equally suited for music. The only reason to go sealed imo is if you have to have the small size.

Having said that, I have a sealed sub. But, it took two 15" drivers to match the output of a 12" ported sub in the same size box. But, since that was the biggest size box I could fit, the two larger drivers kept my output for movies the same, but double my mid bass output.
Greetings!
You installed the two 15 inch woofers in the sealed box. Did you ever explore the feasibility of rather using them in an isobaric configuration in the same cabinet for better low frequency performance?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
However, I have never heard of anyone questioning the linear response in a sealed cabinet. This phenomenon definitely must exist due to the air compression and decompression effect caused by the cone displacement. Probably, our hearing is not sensitive enough to notice this phenomenon which nevertheless cannot escape the laws of physics. This is one of the reasons why I always built bass reflex enclosures.

I wonder if anyone ever attempted to measure such non-linear displacement, and if so, what were the results.
Any comments anyone?
The effects of back spring pressure would be manifest as even-order harmonic distortion products. Backspring pressure also effects ported alignments as well. Even-order harmonics have to be severe in low frequencies to be audible, especially second-order harmonics.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Back spring pressure affects ported configurations too, but to a much lower extent than is the case with a sealed box.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis