M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
moreira85,

When I checked out the LED versions in person (helping my brother shop around last year), they run pretty hot at the vents. Can't quite recall, but the fans might've been louder too. Perhaps a non-issue, but depending on the room acoustics and how close you sit, the noise floor might be raised a little.

Also, one peeve of mine with Sammy RPs is that they have the IR sensor smack dab in the middle. So if you actually place your center speaker on top of the Plateau stand (which is better than shoved on the shelf below), you won't get to control your TV with the remote.

My brother's center speaker is off set to the right! There was a pic in the members gallery here that had a similiar setup before an upgrade.

You CAN get around this, by getting a $75 URC rf-20 remote. Run a stick on emitter to the IR, then cover all that with the center speaker. Such a remote is high on the list for gift ideas to my brother. His bday is this month . . .

FYI.
the IR sensor is an issue. the cabinet space has 33inches for the center and my center is 26 inches wide so it will be below the TV. I will be sitting about 19 feet away.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Ok, I suppose you meant a NON-issue.

How tall is the center speaker? Because, ideally, the speaker would sit on top of the cabinet. Closer to ear level, closer to the same height as mains for better panning and consistent stage, less reflective issues from either the shelving itself and/or midbass reflections from the floor.

Anyways, pretty easy to solve in either case. The remote is pretty cool either way, IMHO. :cool:

cheers.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
the IR sensor is an issue. the cabinet space has 33inches for the center and my center is 26 inches wide so it will be below the TV. I will be sitting about 19 feet away.
whoops i meant non issue

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
the center is 6.75 inches tall. i assume this will cover the IR light if i decide to put it on top.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I would assume so as well. Its still worth it. No matter how much you spend on components, how nice your recordings are, nothing will beat better speaker placement. The best part is that it doesn't cost anything (or in your case it does a bit).

If it fits, put it on top. Trust me. Or try for yourself both of the positions. Maybe not a big deal for you. OTOH, make sure to play it loud as well, for then the differences should be more apparent.

If covered IR is a big deal, buy this

My audioholics review.

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
Hm, good news is I got Best Buy to match that extra 10% off on CC's website, so I'm down to $1535 for the 61" before taxes. They even took off a little extra for some reason.

Anyway, the sensor in the middle was an issue on my older Sammie DLP. When I got this one I put the speaker on the shelf below, but noticed 2 little leds on the right side of the tv that light up when I use the remote, so I thought great, I can put speaker on the shelf again. I now have two receivers to test in home, so I put the second where the speaker was and put the center back on the shelf in front of the tv. The speaker is too tall and blocks part of the screen though, just under 1/2" probably is blocked. And it appears the sensor is still in the middle because I had issues getting the remote to work again.

However, I have found if I point the remote straight at the speaker from my seating position, it works. I have about 3/8" of a glass shelf below the speaker, maybe it's getting through that some how, I am not sure yet. Trying it from the left of the seating position it works more reliably, but still cannot see the center power button. I really can't tell where exactly the sensor is, but this tv seems more fogiving than my other one.

My center is 7 1/4" high for reference.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
so if i am using the vip722 for the satellite receiver and monitor out on my yamaha receiver for switching can somebody tell me why i even need to use the IR sensor to control the TV?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
so if i am using the vip722 for the satellite receiver and monitor out on my yamaha receiver for switching can somebody tell me why i even need to use the IR sensor to control the TV?
Perhaps to remotely turn it on and off.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
Perhaps to remotely turn it on and off.
well if i have the tv hooked up to the switched outlet on the belkin it will automatically turn on the tv. i think once i get the settings all dialed in on the tv i wont even need to use the sensor on the tv.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
well if i have the tv hooked up to the switched outlet on the belkin it will automatically turn on the tv. i think once i get the settings all dialed in on the tv i wont even need to use the sensor on the tv.
That would be cool, indeed. Just a question - are you sure that the TV will turn on just by applying power to it? Also, do the LED DLP TVs require cooling fans to run for any amount of time after shutdown? I'm just curious.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
That would be cool, indeed. Just a question - are you sure that the TV will turn on just by applying power to it? Also, do the LED DLP TVs require cooling fans to run for any amount of time after shutdown? I'm just curious.
actually i am not sure but i will find out when i pick it up next sunday. On my set up that i have right now i just walk up to the receiver and press the power button or the remote controls power button and VIOLA everything turns on, TV, DVD, Belkin, Amp etc. So i will find out when i hook it up.
I will experiment with the Center on top or in the cabinet because there is plenty of room below. its the same tv stand paridigmdawg has. not sure about the fans.

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
My LED seems to run much cooler than the bulb DLP I have. I am not sure if it has any fans or not, if it does I have not heard them yet (the other set's fan runs for a minute after you turn it off and you can hear it turn off).
It will vary a bit based on settings you choose, I have my LED brightness turned down to minimum, the set is just too bright for me, especially when on the internet and the white back grounds. There's a few settings you can adjust that will affect the sets power consumption/heat/etc. I've heard people say its possible to adjust the settings on the tv so that it is under 100 watts for power consumption.

Votrax

Votrax

Audioholic
My LED seems to run much cooler than the bulb DLP I have. I am not sure if it has any fans or not, if it does I have not heard them yet (the other set's fan runs for a minute after you turn it off and you can hear it turn off).
It will vary a bit based on settings you choose, I have my LED brightness turned down to minimum, the set is just too bright for me, especially when on the internet and the white back grounds. There's a few settings you can adjust that will affect the sets power consumption/heat/etc. I've heard people say its possible to adjust the settings on the tv so that it is under 100 watts for power consumption.

The LED DLP's have a fan, but they're not audible at all. The fan also shuts off as soon as the TV is powered off. My Samsung LED was too bright out of the box as well.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
so i was going to buy it today on the CC website and pick it up in the store next sunday. they had it for sale for $2250 and then 10% off for store pick up.
Well i was going to process the order today but when i went on the website it was back up to $2499! DOH!!
So now I will have to wait or call them up and see if they will still honor that.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Great point. I suppose he could use a UPS, but those cost more than the universal remotes anyways. Then again UPS is a good idea for TV safety/longevity. I have one for my PJ.

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
so i was going to buy it today on the CC website and pick it up in the store next sunday. they had it for sale for $2250 and then 10% off for store pick up.
Well i was going to process the order today but when i went on the website it was back up to $2499! DOH!!
So now I will have to wait or call them up and see if they will still honor that.
I see it for $2199 now- http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-67-Series-7-DLP-HDTV-HL67A750/sem/rpsm/oid/212343/catOid/-12870/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Check on Thursday, that's when they do an extra 10% or $100 off for the last 3 days of the week (Thur-Sat).
Also, they do have 0% financing for 3 years. I'm always a sucker for that, and that's what I did.

They also have I believe a 60 day price guarantee for HDTV's, so if it goes on sale cheaper after you buy it you get the difference back. So I bought when I could get the 3 year financing, then checked prices weekly. I've gotten almost $300 back so far in the last 40 days...if you buy now you'll be in pretty good shape, the 60 day price guarantee will cover you for a week after Thanksgiving, if you watch the prices diligently you'll probably get some money back if you buy now.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
Pulled The Trigger Today

I see it for $2199 now- http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-67-Series-7-DLP-HDTV-HL67A750/sem/rpsm/oid/212343/catOid/-12870/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Check on Thursday, that's when they do an extra 10% or $100 off for the last 3 days of the week (Thur-Sat).
Also, they do have 0% financing for 3 years. I'm always a sucker for that, and that's what I did.

They also have I believe a 60 day price guarantee for HDTV's, so if it goes on sale cheaper after you buy it you get the difference back. So I bought when I could get the 3 year financing, then checked prices weekly. I've gotten almost $300 back so far in the last 40 days...if you buy now you'll be in pretty good shape, the 60 day price guarantee will cover you for a week after Thanksgiving, if you watch the prices diligently you'll probably get some money back if you buy now.
I wish i would have read this earlier as i saw it for $2200 on CC and didnt see the 10% off and would have had to also pay $200 for tax. I didnt know the last 3 days are when they add the 10% off. I DID JUST BUY IT FROM VANNs for a flat $1999 no shipping charges and no tax!!!
I am really nervous about ordering it from there because I am praying there will be no geometry issues with the TV when i get it and I dont know what their policy is on shipping me out another one.
Couldnt go wrong with that price! WISH ME LUCK

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
VAnns

So i talked w/ customer service from Vanns this morning and they seem excellent so far. i put in the order yesterday and the Sammy will be sent out today. I hope it doesnt get there before i move in to the house on Friday:eek:

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
new samsung

SO I HAVE BEEN OUT OF THE LOOP FOR AWHILE MOVING. I ordered my new 67A750 samsung from Vanns and they were great! I ordered on Sunday and they called me on Friday the day I was moving in saying it was ready to be delivered on tuesday because Monday was a holiday here. It was sitting at the warehouse in Rhode Island and they were opened till midnight. I grabbed my brother and hopped in the cargo van at 9pm and brought it back. On Saturday i took it out of the box and set it up. WOW!! this thing is a great set, big picture, no geometry issues or tilting. I had Dish network come in on Monday and set up satellite and must say the REd Sox in HD was insane. I could see every blade of grass with beutiful color and clarity. I did have one issue, the TV did not put on any audio. I checked the settings and speakers were set to on but no audio, HOWEVER I dont care because i will be using my reciever for audio. I am not going to send it back and risk getting a set w/ geometry issues. I love this set and looks great on my new stand the 72inch Plateau. PICS TO FOLLOW as soon as i get my computer up and running.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis