SACD Player choice; Yamaha CD-S1000 or Denon DCD-1600NE

H

henry001

Audioholic Intern
Dear everybody
I appreciate if somebody could help me in the choice of above CD player.
I can not choose which one to go with. Which one has native DSD A/D conversion and which one is better in terms of sound quality and overall product?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why these two particular players only? Why would you need A/D conversion? You mean D/A instead?

I can't imagine just using a limited cd player myself, I use bluray/universal players for all my optical disc needs including SACD (which I only find interesting for multich anyways) but depends on what your other gear might be.....

H

henry001

Audioholic Intern
Those are my price range and I needed a better sound SACD player to listen to music. I do have Oppo to listen to for SACD, but they stopped making them anymore

H

henry001

Audioholic Intern
Or I can rephrase my question; is there any SACD/CD player that is recommended in the price range of $1000 to $1500 (not universal player)?

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Dear everybody
I can not choose which one to go with. Which one has native DSD A/D conversion and which one is better in terms of sound quality and overall product?
Both that Yamaha and Denon model are over a 1000 bucks...

If i were you, i'd call Yamaha and see if they can find a BD-A1060 in stock and send it to you (Or see if some dealer has one in stock). It costs 400 to 500 bucks and will play SACDs, Bluray Audio, HDCD, CD anything you wanna throw at it. It also has DLNA streaming and has balanced outs. It's a phenomenal buy for everything it offers.
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/blu-ray_players/bd-a1060/index.html

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Those are my price range and I needed a better sound SACD player to listen to music. I do have Oppo to listen to for SACD, but they stopped making them anymore
Why do you think your Oppo isn't doing the job? Is it broken?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Dear everybody
It's not that easy to get an answer to your question here. Well... for most of us it probably is and it would spell; oppo is hard to beat, stick to what you got and enjoy.

From your question I get a feeling that you're under the impression that there's sound quality gain from choosing one of these. Very few would support that here.

Furthermore, you're asking about two outstanding companies, I wanna say close your eyes and point, open and take the one you pointed at. They're both very good.

H

henry001

Audioholic Intern
It's not that easy to get an answer to your question here. Well... for most of us it probably is and it would spell; oppo is hard to beat, stick to what you got and enjoy.

From your question I get a feeling that you're under the impression that there's sound quality gain from choosing one of these. Very few would support that here.

Furthermore, you're asking about two outstanding companies, I wanna say close your eyes and point, open and take the one you pointed at. They're both very good.
Yes perhaps

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No it is still working, but I am afraid that I have to purchase another products when it was broke
Why worry about that now? Which model do you have? That's already an excellent player. Oppo here in the US was still doing some service last I checked but covid could have gotten in the way....

What is the rest of the gear involved?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
If you want a truly amazing sacd player, it will cost you 3k (that Yam or Denon is not it)..Your budget is in a awkward spot. Instead of spending 1200 bucks, you are better off spending 500ish bucks on a universal....Or you gotta spend 3k for the real deal.

Why spend 3K on a SACD player when a Sony UBP-X800M2 costing less than $250 will do the job and perform adequately? I am using a UBP-X800 and it performs as well as my OPPO UDP-203.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why invest in playing SACD to begin with if only 2ch? :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Why invest in playing SACD to begin with if only 2ch? :)
You have nailed it. This thread is a classic example of Audiophilia. You will not hear the difference between CD and SACD unless the material has an enormous dynamic range. The Sony player will be fine. There is no reason to avoid a universal player. It will be the receiver or pre/pro that will do the conversion anyway.

SACD needs to go away. No recording engineer works with DSD anymore anyway, as it an absolute PAS. So they work in PCM and convert to DSD after mastering to placate Audiophools. So DSD needs to die, and be replaced by BD audio, which is much superior, and allows for more channels. SACD and it's crazy DSD is a barrier to progress and the sooner it dies the better.

Last edited:
pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Why spend 3K on a SACD player when a Sony UBP-X800M2 costing less than $250 will do the job and perform adequately? I am using a UBP-X800 and it performs as well as my OPPO UDP-203.
@lovinthehd .....if you guys scroll above, i was pointing the dude to a 500 dollar universal first (cost subsidized by the larger customer base of dudes watching movies on blu ray wink wink). I personally have that BD-A1060 and i know what phenomenal value it is. But, it looks like the dude doesn't want universal and wants to spend 1500. I figured if he has 1500 to spend, he probably has 3k to spend. That 3k Technics does sound like it has a 3k transport+dac in it. I have heard a 10k cd player which sounded like a 600 dollar cd player as well. That can happen too in this grand snake temple.

Now, if you fellas can't hear the difference between a $1 DAC in a windows 95 pc and a 3k DAC...well, you're in a god like class of your own..lol...i got a pair of radioshack 20 dollar speakers and a pyle for ya. It should sound better than a Revel and your luxman or whatever! When the beat hits, it sounds like a God like fart Pffft frrr frrr frr frrr....Ya really don't need a better speaker and your $1 dac. Bwaaahahahaha

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
You have nailed it. This thread is a classic example of Audiophilia. You will not hear the difference between CD and SACD unless the material has an enormous dynamic range. The Sony player will be fine. There is no reason the avoid a universal player. It will be the receiver or pre/pro that will do the conversion anyway.

SACD needs to go away. No recording engineer works with DSD anymore anyway, as it an absolute PAS. So they work in PCM and convert to DSD after mastering to placate Audiophools. So DSD needs to die, and be replaced by BD audio, which is much superior, and allows for more channels. SACD and it's crazy DSD is a barrier to progress and the sooner it dies the better.
This reminds me:

I have a CD from the late 1980s that was recorded digitally in 48kHz PCM, either 16 bit or 18 bit (I'm not sure).

It got re-released a few years later as an SACD release. To get the SACD master, they took the PCM master, converted it to analog, then converted the analog to SACD.

High resolution, everybody!

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
This reminds me:

I have a CD from the late 1980s that was recorded digitally in 48kHz PCM, either 16 bit or 18 bit (I'm not sure).

It got re-released a few years later as an SACD release. To get the SACD master, they took the PCM master, converted it to analog, then converted the analog to SACD.

High resolution, everybody!
And that is precisely why SACD got a bad rap and ya shouldn't buy any dumass sacd album out there. However, SACD done right from scratch seems to beat the redbook cd. I am el cheapo, hate paying more for sacds and would have loved to be a non believer of the format. But, no, i have compared numerous CDs vs SACD of the same album through the same transport and DAC, SACD just sounds better. Not sure why dudes beat the dynamic range dead horse, but, better clarity and detail is perceived when sacd is done right..

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
@lovinthehd .....if you guys scroll above, i was pointing the dude to a 500 dollar universal first (cost subsidized by the larger customer base of dudes watching movies on blu ray wink wink). I personally have that BD-A1060 and i know what phenomenal value it is. But, it looks like the dude doesn't want universal and wants to spend 1500. I figured if he has 1500 to spend, he probably has 3k to spend. That 3k Technics does sound like it has a 3k transport+dac in it. I have heard a 10k cd player which sounded like a 600 dollar cd player as well. That can happen too in this grand snake temple.

Now, if you fellas can't hear the difference between a $1 DAC in a windows 95 pc and a 3k DAC...well, you're in a god like class of your own..lol...i got a pair of radioshack 20 dollar speakers and a pyle for ya. It should sound better than a Revel and your luxman or whatever! When the beat hits, it sounds like a God like fart Pffft frrr frrr frr frrr....Ya really don't need a better speaker and your $1 dac. Bwaaahahahaha
You believe bullshit publicity on expensive audiophool stuff. You have a lot to learn!

TLS Guy in post#15 is 100% right. What makes the quality of a CD or SACD depends on the quality of the original recording. Whether it is a CD or a SACD, the sound quality will be the same as both are copies of the original take. Depending on the recording, the SACD might have more dynamic range, but the CD has a dynamic range of 96dB which no one can use in a home environment. The only advantage of the SACD format would be the surround sound.

Last edited:
pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
You believe bullshit publicity on expensive audiophool stuff. You have a lot to learn!

TLS Guy in post#15 is 100% right. What makes the quality of a CD or SACD depends on the quality of the original recording. Whether it is a CD or a SACD, the sound quality will be the same as both are copies of the original take. Depending on the recording, the SACD might have more dynamic range, but the CD has a dynamic range of 96dB. The only advantage of the SACD format would be the surround sound.
That's the theory you read. You didn't experiment with your fcking ears on a good stereo.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis